2013 new release of the year roundup

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: 2013 new release of the year roundup

Postby lankou » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:36 pm

"solo banton,yt, jus as good as above".
To each his own, really, but no, seriously! (at least not in the delivery/flow department,nor in their originality!).
UK-wise,Tippa is just unbeatable -and he still delivers the goods any time! Too bad his wonderful " Kids in the Car" wasn't released for obscure silly reasons - not his fault, really! Would have been a top tune for this year.
Maybe if some people decided to hassle the producers (I & I Riddim from france), they would possibly release it on 7". It deserves it !
https://soundcloud.com/selecta-haad/ini ... -cd-vol-18
Starts at 3 mn in that megamix. Real real lyrics where Tippa is kind enough not to drop names! :mrgreen:
lankou

Postby dougie conscious » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:38 pm

UK-wise,Tippa is just unbeatable
back in the 80s yes along with levi and the colonel they were unbeatable,
nowa days solo yt zoom t, Charlie p, are in high demand with{viny} releases coming out pretty regularly along with the countless shows there doing at the moment,
dougie conscious

Postby lankou » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:22 pm

OK, i get you there, these artists are the flavour of the day - though i have trouble to understand what new wind they bring to reggae, apart from the fact that they mostly cater to crowds who were still (at best) in their nappies for the most part and who are now experiencing some sort of retro-digital revival. Yep, 80's digital is now oldies stuff but as much as i enjoy my neo-retro vibes it's certainly not the most exciting revival going on - whatever pinch of grime or dubstep or ???? they put in the mix. Certainly one of the reggae branches where there are so many overated artists and producers at the moment, imho. Props to Mungo HF, though, as they have the extra thing most lack! Same for Gappy Ranks if he finally decided to kick that useless autotune habit.
Yet, pretty much sure Tippa is booked much more often than those guys all around the world.
A great album i forgot to mention is Barbara Naps - Empress Lioness. As "usual" (well, her recordings are rather few and far between, really), this is a top quality release from this brilliant (albeit criminally underated) vocalist. Very fine modern digital roots with sound lyrics from start to finish! Wish the producer had found some more money to add real horns, but, hey, not so easy to balance a reggae budget these days. Can't understand why an artists of such caliber doesn't get more props on this forum - or in the UK. In the "UK steppa/digi roots" scene, i see other female artists getting praises, who don't have one tenth of her talent(and there are a good few others who haven't recorded much since the 90's).
Sexist, reggae???? Oh, this is just a joke. :wink:
lankou

Postby Robin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:27 pm

i remember listening to some tracks of barbara naps new album as played by mikey dread in his weekly rise n peas show. it sounded great and i was going to look for the album but never saw it coming. thanks for the reminder lankou. "children of the most high" is one of the tracks in this labum that should be released as a single imo.

and to reggaemsucistore, thanks for your comments and no the more credit to european producers comment was not meant to you specifically sir.

one addition to my 2013 favorites >>> aqua levi & roots hitek "dance" (negus melody 12)
Peace
http://fr-fr.facebook.com/pages/Nyabin-Sound-System/201186136569072?sk=wall
http://www.myspace.com/vibescreator
Robin

Postby lankou » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:58 pm

You're welcome. Like you i wish there were a number of these tracks released on 7" or 12" too, as i mostly play vinyl sessions,luddite style! :wink:
Haven't spotted any weak tune on Mz Naps's album. Never heard obvious clunkers from that talented lady, anyway. It always puzzles me that her works are so few, despite a career which started a long time ago. Defo the kind of vocalist i'd love to hear on Roberto Sanchez 's or BDF's productions.
You can find the CD at some of the usual culprits'. One is in Switzerland, for instance, rather unexpensive! :wink:
lankou

Postby BMC » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Some more lists then: :wink:

New tunes 2013 – highlights, vinyl only:

(some of these saw release as mp3’s in 2012 already, but were released on vinyl in 2013)

Cornell Campbell - Seek Jah Jah Love / Sr. Wilson - No Man Down (Roots & Fyah 10)
BDF - Juggernaut / Part 2 / Part 3 / Part 4 (One In The Spirit 12)
Cornell Campbell ft. Christine Miller, Will Tee - Too Much Confusion, Dub Confusion / Reality Souljahs, Will Tee ft. Mimi O’Malley - Jah Provides (Descendant Music 10)
Robert Dallas - Tradition Man / A Seeking Version (Jam Tone 45)
Frankie Paul - Higher Level / Higher Version (Tuff Scout 45)
Micah Shemaiah ft. T.J., Hempress Sativa, Jahkime & Infinite - Dread At The Control / Philip Crucial ft. Exile Di Brave - Rasta’s Luck (E. D. B. Entertainment 45)
Sir Scorcher & The Black Emeralds - Record Breaker / Robby Spengler & The Black Emeralds - Hell To Pay (Jandisc 45)
Stally And Breadwinners - Riddim Box Dub / Skinshape - Soul Groove (Horus 45)
Chronixx, Sizzla , Protoje, Kabaka Pyramid - Selassie Souljahz / Instrumental (Royal Order 45)
Addis Pablo & The Suns Of Dub - Selassie Souljahz Melodica Version, Dub Version / Vocal Dub Version, Suns Of Dub Version (Royal Order/Only Roots 10)
Chronixx - Alpha And Omega / Michael Rose - Rude Bwoy (John John 45)
Chronixx - Thanks And Praise / Exco Levi - Another Bill Again (Lifeline Music 45)
Chronixx - Here Comes Trouble / Version (Overstand 45)
Chronixx - Smile Jamaica / Jah9 - Brothers (Silly Walks 45)
Tarrus Riley - Gimme Likkle One Drop / Chronixx – Ain’t No Giving In (Chimney Records 45)
Shaggy & Beres Hammond - Fight This Feeling (Ranch Entertainment 45)
J Boog - Change Ur Evil Ways / Chino McGregor - Boom Draw (Big Ship 45)
Romain Virgo - Another Day Another Dollar / Duane Stephenson, Exco Levi - Don`t Let Him (Penthouse 45)
Konshens & Romain Virgo - We No Worry Bout Them / Burro Banton - Can't Get Me Out (Maximum Sound 45)
Beres Hammond - Fire And Ice / Beres Hammond & Busy Signal - Fire And Ice Remix (Penthouse 45)

Very few new albums for me this year:

Milton Henry - Branches And Leaves
Sly & Robbie presents Shaggy - Out Of Many, One Music (mp3 only up ‘til now)

Guilty pleasure: Major Lazer - Free The Universe
BMC

Postby mikus » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:52 am

Posting this here so i can check through the list later

Russ D tunes and mixes

2013 - True Nazarite; Creation Stepper & Disciples ~ Disciples Vintage 12"
2013 - Strong Survive; Tony Roots/ Call On Rastafari; B.Issacs/ No More; C. Miller ~ Ras Guerrilla 10"
2013 - Give Thanks For Life; P. Hunnigale/ Abandon I; Meditations/ The Gathering; R.Joe ~ Manilla Jeepney 10"
2013 - Warmonger; Chezidek/ Rebel Woman; Sena ~ Irie Ites 10" (remix)
2013 - Dont It; Solo Banton & Spectacular ~ Irie Ites 10"
2013 - Sound Bwoy Bawling; Carl Meeks & Joe Lickshot ~ Calabash Uk 10"
2013 - Fable; Disciples ~ Rootikal Attack 10"
2013 - Third World Man; Vivian Jones & Disciples ~ Disciples Record Co. Test Press 12"
2013 - Reload; Luciano & Louie Culture ~ Silly Walks Discoteque12" (mixed by Russ D.)
2013 - Let Faith Arise / Love Is Universal; Junior Bee ~ Eastern Sher 12"
2013 - Psalm Of Solomon / Temptation; Disciples ~ Calabash UK 12"
2013 - The System Cold; Dixie Peach & Disciples ~ Calabash Uk 12"
2013 - Rebels On The Streets; Danny Vibes / Cool It Down; Nello B ~ Disciples 12"
2013 - Freedom Fighter; Disciples ~ Zam Zam 7"
2013 - Dirty Games; Sista Patyma ~ Peek A Boo 7"
>Free download of my dubwise productions + mixes, released under the Creative Commons license @
http://mikusmusik.blogspot.com
mikus

Postby lankou » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:07 pm

Forgot to mention Old Time Something Come BacK Again by the excellent Expanders from Los Angeles.
Sweet sweet LP of (mostly) covers of top JA roots classics.
It has a limited edition on LP format but can also be downloaded for free at:
http://www.theexpanders.net/download/
lankou

Postby mikus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:47 pm

(((edit - wrong thread))
Last edited by mikus on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>Free download of my dubwise productions + mixes, released under the Creative Commons license @
http://mikusmusik.blogspot.com
mikus

Postby grubby mits » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:32 am

Couple of pieces i liked that aint been mentioned
Courtney John- Born to fly
peace love and harmony- byron otis and major stone
Delroy Pinnock Babylons walls ( relick) Surprised this one hasnt drawn any attention this year
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/babylon-walls-single/id706270414
grubby mits

Postby lankou » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:40 pm

Yes,Born to Fly was one more outstanding effort by Courtney John but it was released in december... 2012 ! :wink:
lankou

Postby dan i dubdub » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:30 pm

grubby mits wrote:Delroy Pinnock Babylons walls ( relick) Surprised this one hasnt drawn any attention this year
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/babylon-walls-single/id706270414

not seen or heard this yet, good call grubby mits. Nice cuts, especially the dub.
Last edited by dan i dubdub on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub

Postby grubby mits » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Yeah Delroy been working on that for some time and I thought it might get more profile. Wicked artist. Some possibility it might get a 12" press some point in the future. As for the Courtney John bit of a grey area as came out digital in 2012 but vinyl in Jan so I'm claiming it!
grubby mits

Postby lankou » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:52 am

I got my 7" copy straight from the label and got it right before christmas. Even played it at a new year's eve party where it did really well. 2012, for real! :wink:
lankou

Postby Sonic Dub » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:00 pm

My favorite release is Sheriff Lindo's Ten Dubs That Shook The World.

Anyone else hear it?
Sonic Dub

Previous

Return to General discussion