RANKING DEVON info request

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

RANKING DEVON info request

Postby pampasjudas » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:17 pm

hello everybody!

i have been really enjoying some Ranking Devon singles i recently bought, all of them on the Reggae Connection label.
really nice tunes and good dubs.
i searched for info in the forum but couldn't get much, aside of the link to Ranking Devon's discography at dancehallstyle.com
does anybody have any background info about Ranking Devon and Reggae Connection as a label? any idea about who was at the mixing desk?

thanks in advance!!!
pampasjudas

Re: RANKING DEVON info request

Postby j j » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:08 am

Sorry can't help on any info , but interested to know what are the records you've bought??

j j
j j

Postby pampasjudas » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:27 am

j j wrote:Sorry can't help on any info , but interested to know what are the records you've bought??

j j

i got:
Death Ballarena 7"
Change Your Folly Ground 7"
Fire A Go Bun Dem 7"
the three of them on Reggae Connection. i really love them, the first two in particular!
pampasjudas

Postby Peter Dalton » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:37 am

"All Nations Have To Bow", Zodiac, a version of the 7th Extension's "Hard Times" is well worth seeking out.
Peter Dalton

Postby j j » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:26 am

The vocal cut to 'Fire Ago Burn Dem' is the Marble Tones 'Dread Lion' on Mighty Cloud 7". Ranking Devon also has some tunes on Mighty Cloud.
The All Nations tune mentioned by Mr Dalton also comes on a 12" on the Dance Beat label.
Also look out for the High Note 12" The Techniques - You Don't Care/I'm In The Mood For Love which has Devon toasting.
Captain who posts here (or used to), did an excellent compilation of RD's singles .......

cheers
j j
j j

Postby pampasjudas » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:07 am

j j wrote:The vocal cut to 'Fire Ago Burn Dem' is the Marble Tones 'Dread Lion' on Mighty Cloud 7". Ranking Devon also has some tunes on Mighty Cloud.
The All Nations tune mentioned by Mr Dalton also comes on a 12" on the Dance Beat label.
Also look out for the High Note 12" The Techniques - You Don't Care/I'm In The Mood For Love which has Devon toasting.
Captain who posts here (or used to), did an excellent compilation of RD's singles .......

cheers
j j

thanks a whole lot for the info!!!
yes, i did get a copy of the High Note 12", but haven't had the time to play it yet.
Captain did a great job indeed, actually i think it's thanks to him that i discovered Ranking Devon in the first place!
cheers!
pampasjudas

Postby Natty Dread Magazine » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Guess Ranking Devon is Likkle Devon, of "Crying Shame" fame. Inspired by Half Pint, he played a key role in the Star Trail label by introducing a lot of artists to them, including Anthony B. He's got a handful of singles on Star Trail.
Natty Dread Editions / Jamaica Insula
http://www.jamaica-insula.com
Natty Dread Magazine

Postby marty » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:09 pm

i've got a tune called from little devon called - what you daddy can do (if i remember well) pretty funny;
marty

Postby Ringo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:32 am

Uganda Style - Ranking Devon (Jah Lee 7") is good, great dub on the flip.

Is Jah Devon the same man? If so these two (vocal and the DJ piece) are well worth finding:

Starkey - Leon Hyatt (Black Stax 7")
Move Outa Dreadlocks Company - Jah Devon (Black Stax 7")
Purple Radio - Every other Wednesday 6:30 - 8pm http://www.purple-radio.co.uk

Archive of old shows http://www.crytough.com/purple.html
Ringo

Postby martin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:22 pm

martin

Postby dudley one » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:05 am

Most of his 45's were mixed at Aquarius studio, and a couple @Tubbys studio too. I guess he hqd a connection with Ranchie as his first choice pick Dj for versioning his tunes.
R.K.M.I.S.

ImageImage
dudley one

Postby pampasjudas » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:09 pm

dudley one wrote:Most of his 45's were mixed at Aquarius studio, and a couple @Tubbys studio too. I guess he hqd a connection with Ranchie as his first choice pick Dj for versioning his tunes.

thanks a lot for the precious info!!!
pampasjudas

Postby Mark T » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:36 am

Hard Times/All Nations Have to Bow by 7th Extension/Ranking Devon is a corker - 12" on Zodiac Ja. I listened to that for years on a Rodigan tape from 1981 but now have the 12" thanks to Ital Dokta. Great cut of Shank I Shek which was very popular then. Sugar Minott's African girl is also a great version of Shank I Shek from the same broadcast.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby j j » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:29 am

also on 12" on the Darace Music label.

http://www.reggaecollector.com/stock/in ... l&x=39&y=6

j j
j j

Postby dudley one » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:33 am

And then you have Trespassing by ranking Devon, which is another extended Dj cut to the Shank I Schek rhythm.
R.K.M.I.S.

ImageImage
dudley one

Next

Return to General discussion