Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregognizable

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby TruthTown » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 am

Ijahman. An artist I love so much...What a great voice he had...At some points, his voice is a total disaster here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCOYCBNBlVY

What a pity!
TruthTown
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:20 pm
Location: Basque Country

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby Well Charge » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:02 am

I'm a fan of Johnny Clarke's voice. I think he is one of the examples where the voice has even gained in richness as he got older. Nowadays he has much more of a Lou Rawls vibe to his voice.
Well Charge
 
Posts: 872
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby sicarius23 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:50 am

My dad is a singer (now retired). He refers to the effect's of age on the vocal chords as "losing your chops".

It is a natural process , and very few singers remain untouched by the toll of years! Some times it adds character to a voice,sometimes not.
Im a singer too and also expect to 'lose my chops" eventually!

Some of the artist's mentioned may have (ahem) further degraded the quality of their instruments with recreational pursuits..... :(
www.myspace.com/dubsicarius
"we give this phase potentialities"...
sicarius23
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:04 pm

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby ephteeay » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:26 am

I find it crazy how some singers have managed to keep their voice.. especially Earl 16.. From what I've heard, it sounds almost identical to how it was in the 70s.. (I'd like to have heard Prince Far I 30 years later too)
ephteeay
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:01 am
Location: here & there

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby capullo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:45 pm

yes ephteeay - same thing with horace andy!
capullo
 
Posts: 1753
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:50 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby shadrach » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:00 pm

ephteeay wrote:I find it crazy how some singers have managed to keep their voice.. especially Earl 16.. From what I've heard, it sounds almost identical to how it was in the 70s.. (I'd like to have heard Prince Far I 30 years later too)

I was about to post exactly the same comment, his voice is fully intact, amazing indeed!
shadrach
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:29 am
Location: Antwerp Belgium

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby brennan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:23 pm

Keith Poppin is one whose voice hasnt changed and has gotten even better!
Selector B Steady
User avatar
brennan
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:50 am
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby guillaumebougard » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:19 am

Roman wrote:guillaumebougard: I slightly disagree with you - the current condition of his voice is great:

2013: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4R5CB8fZ4A

1984: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh97BUZDvDg

Here's a wicked tune by M.R. from 2005 - slightly different style I must say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twEdQ-nEtQE


I was at that Garance concert and then the one he gave in Paris the next day or so, and believe me, his voice had nothing to do with 1981...
_______________________________________________________________________
Guillaume Bougard
guillaume.bougard@gmail.com
http://www.tabou1records.wordpress.com
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:28 pm

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby sicarius23 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Agree about Earl 16!! Don't know how he does it.....
Cornell Campbell is another who sounds pretty much the same now as back in the day.
www.myspace.com/dubsicarius
"we give this phase potentialities"...
sicarius23
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:04 pm

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby edgar » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:32 pm

sicarius23 wrote:My dad is a singer (now retired). He refers to the effect's of age on the vocal chords as "losing your chops".

It is a natural process , and very few singers remain untouched by the toll of years! Some times it adds character to a voice,sometimes not.
Im a singer too and also expect to 'lose my chops" eventually!

Some of the artist's mentioned may have (ahem) further degraded the quality of their instruments with recreational pursuits..... :(


crack cocaine gives you a hoarse voice also.
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar
 
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:06 pm

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby Don Cosmic » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:19 am

edgar wrote:
sicarius23 wrote:My dad is a singer (now retired). He refers to the effect's of age on the vocal chords as "losing your chops".

It is a natural process , and very few singers remain untouched by the toll of years! Some times it adds character to a voice,sometimes not.
Im a singer too and also expect to 'lose my chops" eventually!

Some of the artist's mentioned may have (ahem) further degraded the quality of their instruments with recreational pursuits..... :(


crack cocaine gives you a hoarse voice also.


I heard the effects of crack cocaine when I saw Wayne Smith live last year unfortunately. Still a lively performance but a definite voice change or decrease in quality. I'm sure he is not messing with the stuff anymore but it's damage has been done.

I also agree with the poster who mentioned Sizzla.
Don Cosmic
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:59 pm

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby underated » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:32 pm

There are a lot of things that can degrade vocal chords.
Straining the voice through singing too loud , years of hearing musicians playing instruments too loud adds to this problem for singers.

The voice is a very sensitive thing, even climate changes, cold drinks & air conditioners can make for a hoarse voice on stage.
If someone does have a damaged voice, there are few workarounds that can help on the stage & in the studio.

Change key of song.
Let Backing Vocalists sing the high notes.
Simply turn the music down,
Stand far away from drums & brass.
Try using ear buds.

In the studio let the producer use vocal correction tools for slight corrections.
Some singers even sing in different genres in they can pull it off.

& yes the voice naturally changes through time.
It takes a new vocalist years to find their voice & as they mature & hopefully eventually grow old , it changes with them .
underated
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:27 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby beenie bongo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:37 pm

sicarius23 wrote:Agree about Earl 16!! Don't know how he does it.....
Cornell Campbell is another who sounds pretty much the same now as back in the day.


Indeed. John Holt and Johnny Osbourne also spring to mind.
beenie bongo
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:22 pm
Location: Le Havre, France

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby Apostle » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Nobody mentioned the Twinkle Brothers! Norman Grant is not really the man with the huge tone range, but the quality of his voice certainly persisted.
Daweh Congo is another good example- very specific sound of voice and still sounds the same ( even though I haven't heard any recent output from him).

Maybe instead of looking back to the past, you could also ask the question who are the best and most original vocalists of today? I'm always impressed by Lorenzo and Joseph Lalibela and I love the sound of Bunnington Judah's voice, even though he's more of a lyricist than a singer.
Takana Zion also stands out to me.
Apostle
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Vocalists whose voices have changed & become unregogniza

Postby Roman » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:13 pm

Apostle wrote:and I love the sound of Bunnington Judah's voice, even though he's more of a lyricist than a singer.


I am currently working with Bunnington. Great lyrics and a very unique and distinctive style of singing.

No one sounds like Bunnington Judah! He's also a wicked drummer and percussionist and I am very happy to be working with him.

A mini showcase LP with 4 vox and 4 dubs mixed by Dougie Conscious (he plays some guitar 2) is soon to be released on Jah Zohar Records. Of course you'll hear Bunnington's percussion 2.

In fact, we're almost finished


Bunnington Judah + Iration Steppas + wicked TNT Roots dubplate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ltn-LZFWzM
User avatar
Roman
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:49 am
Location: Solar System

Previous

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Danny Dub, Google [Bot], jb welda, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests