The return of Dave Kelly.

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

The return of Dave Kelly.

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRbj65dVZ6w

Always worth hearing a new Dave Kelly production, and this one's a good 'un. Cham, Damien marley and Dave Kelly, irresistible combination. what do you think?
Reggie Love

Re: The return of Dave Kelly.

Postby supplanter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:24 pm

I think someone better start pressing these new tunes up on vinyl. Too much crucial music coming out that just disappears. With regard to this tune, I love it.
supplanter

Postby lankou » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Dave Kelly, often miles ahead!
Damian Marley? Damian who? his usual fare, even though he tried to recycle the Strange Things melody a little, for some originality.
Never will understand why some get mad about his stuff: about 2 or 3 fine tunes, the rest is just rehashed formulas, after a very short while.
I'd rather have any Wayne Wonder or Wayne Marshall on such a riddim. and BK, of course!
lankou

Postby Dubba » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:07 pm

No need for junior gong on this, Cham absolutely murders that riddim. Only a certain Mr Rodney Price is as potent on dave kelly's riddims as Cham in my humble opinion of course.
Dubba

Postby supplanter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:40 pm

I'd like to see more Dave Kelly/Pinchers collaborations.
supplanter

Postby Reggie Love » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:54 am

I think Damien provides the hook in the way that Mykal Rose did on 'stronger' with Cham and Dave Kelly and it works within the track. Bounty was added onto the remix of that one. Would also love to hear Bounty get cross, angry and me's-a-rebel all the over this riddim. Hopefully we will.
Reggie Love

Postby guillaumebougard » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Nice riddim, but it's electro hip hop, not reggae. Damian is totally superfluous on this tune. Cham coulda killed it alone more efficiently
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby lankou » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Electro hip hop? yeah,so ?
Mr Kelly was already doing this way back in 1999, way before everything became "electro".
I'd rather not see DM being compared to Michael Rose. :D
Btw, that tune with MR was a decent tune By these decade's standards but by no means one of DK's best offerings.
lankou

Postby guillaumebougard » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:41 pm

lankou wrote:Electro hip hop? yeah,so ?
Mr Kelly was already doing this way back in 1999, way before everything became "electro".
I'd rather not see DM being compared to Michael Rose. :D
Btw, that tune with MR was a decent tune By these decade's standards but by no means one of DK's best offerings.

My problem with Reggae and Dancehall producers doing hip hop or electro is that they cant compete with Puff Daddy or Dre or whosoever is the new guy in town in America. It's like French musicians playing Reggae. Pathetic 99.9% of the time.

The way Reggae got big is that Jamaicans were super creative with their own indigenous music (granted it had a heavy influence from the US, but it was JAMAICAN inasmuch as nobody else on Earth played this). They invented dub, DJ'ing and so forth, not by trying to do like American or European producers.

I find that missing nowadays.
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby lankou » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:10 am

I beg to differ: i have always found puff daddy a maker not a creator,he basically kept nicking ideas off other producers and turned them into a bland mainstream thing (not to mention the image he projected, a cancerous virus). That guy had a crucial role in the regression of(mainstream) US black music, which certainly wasn't in such a great shape then (and still isn't).
Dre probably did some nice things in his earlier years but i never bought that gangsta **** (besides his Beats headphones are just a ripoff, ah ah!). He is another one who nailed a few nails into the (mainstream) hip hop coffin. That guy was an innovator up to a certain point and he was lucky the US majors bought that gangsta crap, as it could provide them more money by brainwashing uneducated youths.
I don't generally endorse form over substance.
Dave Kelly (not to forget Lenky) most certainly influenced a fair number of US r&b/rap producers who made millions by "borrowing" ideas from 90's hardcore dancehall. Like you, i feel sad that a vast majority of JA music doesn't sound more Jamaican these days, but it must be said that in the late 90's and the early 2000's, they led the way and were overtaken once more by mainstream US producers who took, remixed, blended their sounds and regurgitated them as weaker formulas. (Major Lazer does the same today, though it must be said that the guys seems to have a more genuine respect for the original dancehall culture - the one that was played at sound systems much more often than in clubs).

As for french reggae, deep inside, you know damn well you are wrong: there are a lot a fine musicians in our country now and a good number of them get a tip of the hat from JA artists. That says tons more than your prejudices. I would agree with you if you said the same thing about vocalists but about musicians, that's most unfair. For reasons that are your own, you have been harping on the same pet peeves for many years on forums. A forum is a place where people debate, so rest assured that there are a lot of people who don't agree with you. French reggae has improved by leaps and bounds in the last 20 years. Of course, not many people will come to contradict you on an anglo-saxon forum! :lol:
lankou

Postby underated » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:38 pm

guillaumebougard wrote:My problem with Reggae and Dancehall producers doing hip hop or electro is that they cant compete.
The way Reggae got big is that Jamaicans were super creative with their own indigenous music (granted it had a heavy influence from the US, but it was JAMAICAN inasmuch as nobody else on Earth played this). They invented dub, DJ'ing and so forth, not by trying to do like American or European producers.

Too true
As i have said many times before,
A kid using Fl studio can make better Hip Hop / Electro beats [call it whatever ] than JA producers.
That little island still has the vocalists though, they will always be in demand :)
underated

Postby underated » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:40 pm

@ lankou

luv your posts, disagree about dre though, his beats are cool :)
underated

Return to General discussion