Bob Marley Top 100 Songs Countdown: #47 Johnny Was

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Bob Marley Top 100 Songs Countdown: #47 Johnny Was

Postby David Cupples » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Highlights so far:
#47 Johnny Was (Rastaman Vibration)
Like #48 (Pimper’s Paradise) another incredibly conscious tune that focuses on one individual to tell the story of life in the mean streets the world 'round. Bob's singing here even more touching -- whose heart could be so cold as not to be moved by these lyrics and Bob's incredibly soulful voice:
"woman hold her head and cry
cuz her son had been shot down
in the street and died
from a stray bullet"
later Bob writes that she cries cuz he's been shot down--
"just because of the system."
Look how brilliant this is. It says the system is responsible for all kinds of effects, including stray bullets and accidental deaths and hatred and inhumanity to one's brethren/sistren; it is not only about those who die as a direct result of armed invasion or other monstrous actions. Just managing in daily life the System brings so much suffering. As in Iraq, the troops are gone but the horror goes on day by day and "we" pretend "we" have nothing to do with that.
"Gift of Jah is life,
she cried, oh ah,
Johnny was a good man (never did a thing wrong)"
Putting #48 Pimper’s Paradise and #47 Johnny Was together leaves such an incredible legacy, with so much more to go. And over the years Bob's presence only seems to grow more powerful still.
To follow the countdown go to my facebook "book" page for my novel Stir It Up: The CIA Targets Jamaica, Bob Marley and the Progressive Manley Government.
David Cupples

Re: Bob Marley Top 100 Songs Countdown: #47 Johnny Was

Postby David Cupples » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:02 pm

David Cupples

Postby Aaron » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:26 am

"Johnny Was" tries too hard; bit over-sentimental for my tastes, I skip over it when listening to Rastaman Vibes.
Prince Asbo of Thrifty Vinyl
http://thriftyvinyl.wordpress.com/
Aaron

Postby jay-b » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:28 am

re johnny was - always liked the stiff little fingers version myself....
jay-b

Postby jb welda » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:51 pm

how many albums did "bob" put out on Island records during his lifetime not including live recuts of originals? call it "x" number.

how many songs were on each of those albums? call that "y" number.

so that will mean, basically, x times y will cover all his output on island records, which will in turn comprise this "Top 100". Am I getting that close to right?

yawn. dwelling on bob marley at this point is pretty boring, at least to me. now if there were more emphasis on some of the rarer or at least non-major label songs that might liven things up a bit. as it is, it is a "deadhead" vision of reggae if you ask me, and not worthy of much credibility in my mind.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby lankou » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Yeah, agreed, Johnny was by Stiff Little Fingers!!! that really is a tense song!
Better than the original, imho,though i tend to listento much more Wailers stuff than punk stuff these days.
lankou

Return to General discussion