Maximum Pressure Update?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Maximum Pressure Update?

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:02 am

I had high hopes that the Pressure Sounds offshoot would help me navigate latter-day JA music, but after only four releases a decade ago, the spigot was cranked shut. Anyone know what gives? :?
Prince Asbo of Thrifty Vinyl
http://thriftyvinyl.wordpress.com/
Aaron

Re: Maximum Pressure Update?

Postby Ital Dokta » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Think its a little late in the day to hope for any further releases :lol:

Agreed though, they were great and revelatory compilations, I feel the era of JA music they covered is still undervalued/under represented in the collectors/reissue market. A wealth of great music came out in that time, I was just getting into reggae around then and aware of some of the stuff that was coming out but as the MP releases proved, there was much more out there! A shame they folded so soon, imagine if they had continued as an occasional series of releases documenting modern reggae history.
Last edited by Ital Dokta on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ital Dokta

Re: Maximum Pressure Update?

Postby lankou » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:02 pm

At first, Frenchie selected the tunes, then he no longer did. I think that's about it, really. Those comps were good, though it must be said that people who already bought 7"s found their selections questionable for some tracks. They probably attracted people who hadn't followed the evolution in dancehall reggae. Seems like a number of UK producers definitely enjoyed the XTM one, he eh!
Yes, the 90's are definitely one of the best decades for JA music: so much stuff out,so much stuff out that's not even documented on YT or sites which are supposed to provide extensive discographies.
I tend to find it cool that all has not been filed, dissected and made available: less profiteering less and outrageous prices. One just has to have a try at digging the real way, which included TAKING RISKS!
Now certain shabby early digital tunes which didn't sell 10 copies are the hype, give it a few years and the 90's will be celebrated even by some who sneer at them now. :mrgreen:
lankou

Return to General discussion