Tradition

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Tradition

Postby Andy G » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Probably not to some folks liking in these parts b/c of their mix of lovers lyrics leanings with more "roots" concerns, but I have been reaching back into my Tradition stack and enjoying the vibes immensely.

Spirit of Ecstasy
Tradition in Dub
Captain Ganja & the Space Patrol
Runaway Love
Alternative Routes

....All melodic, deep, atmospheric albums

Any other lovers of this under rated UK outfit? Any stories from the UK old timers of seeing these guys?
Andy G

Re: Tradition

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:00 pm

Andy, I've got a very vague memory of seeing them in Manchester around 1978-79 and finding them a bit disappointing, especially as they were the live band appearing at a sound system event which was a ruff session with a local sound called Jah Baron and when Tradition came on it seemed to kill the vibes. Kinda like if Shaka was in full swing back then and had to pause for an hour while a lovers rock group came on stage! I used to have Tradition In Dub but can't remember too much about it and maybe I'd appreciate them more if I was to listen again now....
Reggaemusicstore

Postby Andy G » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Yeah Steve I can imagine a scenario like that. They overall carry a "softer" sound and paired up with a Shaka type sound on a night might be a knock of wind out of one's lungs

Must admit in my old age :P - these lovers oriented groups are grabbing me a lot more - Again, probably not a sentiment carried by many in these parts

On a side note, Lloyd Bradley in his latest book has some interesting things to say about the whole Lovers-Roots divide for those interested.

Thanks for the recollections.
Andy G

Postby lankou » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:33 pm

I like Tradition, be it in a lovers mode or a more conscious approach. Some great songs and certainly not all soft.
Just don't care what Jah S plays or not, can do with my own ears and tastes.
lankou

Postby Andy G » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:06 am

Yeah most definitely Iankou...definitely not all "soft" for sure. They have some heavy tunes for sure both with lovers lyrics and more "serious" themes.

ruff tune here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-JgIxpItLs
Andy G

Postby kalcidis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:14 am

Tradition are fantastic and even thought I highly rate their two first vocal albums (the third one with a yellow cover I haven't heard yet) I think their dub sets are immaculate UK style dub of the 70's. My favourite album of theirs is probably Tell Your Friends About Dub or Tradition In Dub. The latter I have yet to find though. Also some very funny liner notes. It seems like they had great fun doing their music.
kalcidis

Postby King Timmy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:11 am

I love Tradition!
Such a nice style and good songs.
Of course I love their dub albums, but for me their vocal albums are just as good.
I think there are quite a lot of people on this board who like Tradition, you're not alone :wink:
King Timmy

Postby kalcidis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:15 am

What about that Tradition Party Disco LP that has been up on eBay the last month? I think two or three copies that have went for £200+. Anyone that has it and can give a review?
kalcidis

Postby Inyaki » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:45 am

Very good band, good musicians , singers, composers and producers.
Some of the original members were relaunching the band a few years ago (new album I think), they did PAs performances as far as I know, not full band.
Runaway Love is one of the first Reggae albums I bought (in 1980)...is that the yellow one you mean Kalcidis?
http://www.roots-archives.com/release/4739

Mixing sound systems and live bands at the same event most often it doesn't work (especially if they don't play the same type of music and technically tends to be a nightmare in terms of sound quality) , still happens these days.
Inyaki

Postby kalcidis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:01 pm

That's the one, Inyaki! So what's the verdict on it?
kalcidis

Postby Inyaki » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Inyaki wrote:Very good band, good musicians , singers, composers and producers.

:)
Inyaki

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Inyaki wrote:
Mixing sound systems and live bands at the same event most often it doesn't work (especially if they don't play the same type of music and technically tends to be a nightmare in terms of sound quality) , still happens these days.

Yes Inyaki that's really what I meant, that the context when I saw them was just wrong and a roots sound in 1979 was totally at odds with a more mellow live set like Tradition's, though I'd definitely be open to giving them another listen nowadays.
Reggaemusicstore

Return to General discussion