ebay Import Charges

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

ebay Import Charges

Postby ephteeay » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:44 am

I won an item that has 'built-in' import charges added to the shipping to supposedly avoid paying duties afterwards.... The thing is I wouldn't even need to pay import charge on the item anyway ...

Has anyone managed to avoid paying this additional charge after having won an auction? I don't think the seller receives the import charge anyway so in reality he shouldn't be bothered if I sent him the money outside from ebay invoice (hopefully) -

Discuss :D
Last edited by ephteeay on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ephteeay

Re: ebay Import Changes

Postby kalcidis » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:45 am

I've had it happen to me once. I asked the seller for his paypal address and paid him that way instead. Stupid system. eBay truly goes from bad to worse.
kalcidis

Re: ebay Import Charges

Postby jb welda » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:06 pm

they have been touting this as an "easy way to avoid the hassles of international shipping" and practically forcing you to participate (I assume they will eventually force that, like they have all the other "improvements" that start out voluntary and soon become compulsory). I knew there had to be a catch and this is it. add that to taking a cut out of shipping, getting fees for the auction AND the paypal (now pretty much mandatory) ends and you have a classic case of vertical integration to the detriment of sellers and buyers. that's not even mentioning you cannot tell someone your email address (except by stealth) via ebay messaging and so many other obstacles put in the way to assure they squeeze every penny from sellers and buyers both.

unfortunately it remains the only real choice for a world wide market.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Mark T » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:57 am

It is kind of ironic given that Ebay, probably one of those multi-national companies that work so hard to not pay any corporate tax, should feel it needs to make sure we pay our taxes!
I do have some sympathy with them on the whole email thing - if they didn't make it difficult sellers would simply use their service for advertising their goods then cut Ebay out of the payment process. I have no idea what Ebay seller fees are but I imagine anything under 10% is a fair price for the amazing service they get ie exposure to the whole world (at least the computer owning part of the world).

Personally I prefer Discogs and spend more there.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Mick Sleeper » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:04 am

I also really like Discogs and have been using it more often. Not as much variety as E-Bay, but a nice option.
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby jb welda » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:56 am

whats this "Discogs"?

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Ras Berry » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:15 am

Two seconds googling reveals:

http://www.discogs.com/

8)
Ras Berry

Postby beenie bongo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:48 pm

slighlty off-topic, but I quite like using Discogs instead of ebay nowadays. It's easy to use, and dead easy when you list records for sale (when the release is listed on the website). It's very popular amongst Hip-Hop, Funk and D&B DJs already but it seems it's not that popular amongst reggae record collectors.

A great tool for record collectors still
beenie bongo

Postby jb welda » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:52 pm

yes mr ras berry i have heard of google. however i was hoping for a little insight not just the url that as you mention i could have located in two seconds. thanks though, i guess.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jb welda » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Maybe i didn't look deep enough but i don't see much value to that discogs site. now here is one i find useful and valuable:

http://www.rootsvinylguide.com/

however doesn't have anything to do with ebay import charges which i guess was the subject

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Chaz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:59 pm

"whats this "Discogs"?"

You ask a specific question and the best response surely is a specific answer.
Chaz

Postby Mark T » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Here's the value to me of the Discogs site jb.
It's a great database full of all sorts of useful information that is compiled by a collective effort of music fans, collectors and sellers.
The prices are spelled out so it's all like Ebay's 'Buy It Now' though you can certainly strike deals with guys if you are buying multiple items and some sellers put 'make an offer'.
You can create a 'wantlist' which is a useful online tool. Furthermore if you are looking for a record and a particular dealer has it Discogs will automatically show any other records off your wantlist that the dealer has for sale. This means you can combine postage which is important for me.
I've found the sellers to be good and generally honest in their grading.
I spend more time on their than I do on Ebay.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby jb welda » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:20 pm

I hate "buy it now", it has been one of the downfalls of ebay for a long time. that's why I always put my stuff up for auction with a reasonable starting price and let the massive decide the "worth". Most of those "buy it now" people think their s h i t is golden but if there are enough suckers out there agreeing and actually paying, then what the hey i guess.

thanks though

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Mark T » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:23 pm

There are some jokers both on Ebay and Discogs who put ridiculous 'Buy it Now' prices but I think their hope is exactly what you say that some sucker with more money than sense will buy it, and there obviously are suckers out there. Witness people who have been paying well over the odds for records out of Steve Barrow's collection - but if people want to pay who is to stop them.
I do find plenty of people who value their product fairly and I like shopping with them. There is nothing worse to me than hoping to get 4 or 5 records from a seller and then only ending up with one and having to pay a large chunk on postage when I could have got all the records shipped for a little bit more and spread the cost.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby flashman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:05 am

jb welda wrote:I hate "buy it now",
jb

Do you also hate shops with price tags? And record stores? I think that's what discogs is going for. Personally, I hate auctions because you can end up spending way more on something when (sometimes) randomly you end up in a stand off with someone, and you get sucked into spending more than you originally intended. Both auctions and buy it now get inflated. I'd rather have buy it now and just choose to ignore ridiculous prices when posted. Plus I'm disinclined to figure out how to place bids in the final nanoseconds of auctions. I usually get snaked by someone more tech savvy than I, which makes me long for old fashioned record stores. So, yeah, I'll often gladly pay an inflated buy it now price for something I want particularly badly to avoid the annoying sport that online auctions have become.
flashman

Return to General discussion