The Thrill Is Gone

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: The Thrill Is Gone

Postby lankou » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:10 pm

That's one post that's certainly gone off topic, leading to the same old muddy roads.
I don't especially like Sizzla nowadays but, like him or not, he has been the most innovative reggae artist in the last 18 years. As much as it hurts me to admit it. I don't endorse him, i don't buy his music and that's been like that for a very long time. Saying that he is responsible for the downslide of JA music is just "a little" preposterous. Sizzla also does a lot of positive things for people in his neighborhood and doesn't toot his horn about it every day. I don't think people who put him down as a one-sided individual do one tenth of whet he does to alleviate poverty in a country where a lot of politicians are good at... writing elaborate speeches they don't follow afterwards (and that's not specifically Jamaican!).
As for the Mugabe controversy, well, blame it on ignorance, blame it on a system which doesn't cater for its youths, blame it on the ever-rising school fees in JA, blame it on "certain countries" (or is it just one?) which wants every other nation withintheir sphere of influence to be kept low on a leash (whatever leash it is). I don't take sides. The initial post was about the gradual loss of interest or "jadedness" when it comes to appreciating JA music. Never happens to me, when i get tired of a special sub-genres or era, i jump to another, back and forth, thus i never lose interest, from mento to hardcore dancehall. Well, it remained so till the early 2000's with the latter genre. Now, i'll mostly hunt for my dose of recent reggae (using a broad term) in the 4 corners of the world.
Lest we forget, there are also a number of JA artists who have entertained another dictator and been given tracts of land in the country he runs. The name is Gambia, but all too few people seem to be aware of it. Even some of those artists, it seems. Yep, reggae can also be used as propaganda in a different way!
lankou

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:15 am

Lots of reggae artists have sung about social justice but that doesn't necessarily mean they have "liberal views", even during the so called golden age of roots in the 1970's. Just because they weren't advocating shooting gays doesn't mean they wouldn't have supported those views back then!
Reggaemusicstore

Postby lankou » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:49 am

Most definitely! Or sometimes such feelings were told in a softer vocabulary, by quoting from the bible. That "golden era of roots reggae" can be a silly concept sometimes, given the vast amount of formulaic generic tunes which also existed back then.
Those days were already tough times for Jamaicans, and today's artists are just products of a situation that has kept deteriorating - for it isn't normally artists who are supposed to make a country develop and progress! A good number of them do their best to alleviate dire conditions in their communities. In this regard, they are progressive. I don't understand why people from other countries expect them to be morally liberal.
The usual complaint is about gay rights but how often are the plagues of guns, drugs, education and corruption evoked?
Most people only sweep on their own doorstep.
Too many self-righteous people on any sides. You don't like an artist? don't buy his stuff. Another problem is that many fans don't even try to understand what certain lyrics are about, and there are even some who don't give a fig. That's another problem, if some people don't want to learn and all they need is entertainment. Another reflection of today's world.
lankou

Postby Living Bate » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:00 am

I think whats lacking nowadays is a sense of humbleness from the artists……humble attitudes make better music than people who are full of themselves..

Also I think JA music has always been influenced by popular American music…….and when those influences are Sam Cooke, Nat King Cole, Detroit Spinners, Marvin Gaye etc…….then JA music is going to be a lot nicer than when its influenced by more modern American music…which for the most part is pretty diabolical….
Living Bate

Postby John Eden » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:29 am

Roman wrote:
isn't really a crime is it? :lol:

Well it can be, but nobody is actually suggesting calling the police. You massive loon.
John Eden

Postby Well Charge » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:58 am

When I hear Living Bate refer to current music as "diabolical", it rings true to me. I am glad to know of roots music from the golden era, it still remains a light that shows a way for music to be that would perhaps not be discernible to me were it not for this example. Music can be like this, it can mean something other than what music currently is, it can be a positive force, it can have moral and political content. Without wishing to idealize, i am grateful for knowing this music.
Well Charge

Postby Living Bate » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:11 am

we've gone from.....

'Have You Ever Been In Love', 'I See Your Face', 'All I Have Is Love'……

to

'Wreck A Pum Pum', 'Jook Gal' and 'Nah Rape'……
Living Bate

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:19 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu-fkomKxXk

Wasn't It Prince Buster who talked about wrecking pum pums back in the sixties?
Living Bate wrote:we've gone from.....

to

Reggie Love

Postby Roman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:54 am

Reggaemusicstore wrote:Lots of reggae artists have sung about social justice but that doesn't necessarily mean they have "liberal views", even during the so called golden age of roots in the 1970's. Just because they weren't advocating shooting gays doesn't mean they wouldn't have supported those views back then!

True true Steve
Roman

Postby Roman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:55 am

Living Bate wrote:we've gone from.....

to

Why not "Fuсk Gyal & Buss Gun" :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqi1itkhJc4
Roman

Postby finbar » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:45 pm

lankou wrote:I don't understand why people from other countries expect them to be morally liberal.

Allowing the existence of people who were born a certain way is not a "morally liberal" view, it's a humanistic view. There is a huge difference between silently tolerating something you may or may not personally agree with and advocating the murder of those that are different than you.

The word "liberal" has been codified over the past twenty or so years to suggest something far less than virtuous, and the word is now often invoked as the evil antithesis of "virtuous" religious beliefs. It's no coincidence that Jamaica, who has more chuches per capita then any other country in the world, often demonstrates a very narrow stance in matters of tolerance.
finbar

Postby KingSimeonSound » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:48 pm

I thought that lankou made good points.

Finbar, I think that although you do add more accuracy in using the term humanistic, you are missing the context. Regardless of whether it be right or wrong, as you mention, the Jamaican culture has a tradition for very old testament beliefs and the Sizzla generation would be similar to many others in expressing these attitudes.

It is more the celebratory, at times hysterical and fetishistic way that they exhibit this behaviour that is more problematic and not helpful. Whilst some of the culture attempts to move on progressively and attempt to engage; it is in a state of turmoil. Nothing new here, as mentioned before. Another part of yet another cycle, waiting for what we may recognise as more authentic and positive quality music may be a slow game, but there are and will continue to be those who continue to make music regardless.
Last edited by KingSimeonSound on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
KingSimeonSound

Postby Living Bate » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:50 pm

Reggie Love wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu-fkomKxXk

Wasn't It Prince Buster who talked about wrecking pum pums back in the sixties?

fair comment.....bad choice on that one.....
Living Bate

Postby Mark T » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:50 pm

[quote="dan i dubdub"]That's a powerful thing for him to know Mark.

The only things I'll have to give him are love, some (hopefully) good advice and a pile of great records. I reckon you can get through life pretty well with these three things. :D
Mark T
Mark T

Postby underated » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:58 am

Reggae like Rap
Is for the most part dumb.... ed down.
Pacified & safe, it's all about the image.

Every one says similar things about various types of music, you have to dig deep to find the gems,that is true, the crate digging days are long gone for me though.

I used to listen to whole albums, now albums have one good track.
It's all filler......
underated

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion