The Thrill Is Gone

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: The Thrill Is Gone

Postby Ringo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:44 am

Chocolate Soldier wrote:Sizzla 'Nah Apologize' surely represents the lowest point in reggae music history with the conceptual mashup of hatred, violence, intolerance, religious extremism & sexual vulgarity - all on a d-grade derivative hip hop style riddim.

The only thing which could have made it worse would have been some autotune..

When you consider the damage to reggae music's image, general sabotage and the sowing of discord in the scene caused by Sizzla and others, an agent provocateur could have done no better!

The infamous JA onstage brawl leaves little doubt as to the mentality of some of these figures:

http://youtu.be/UTitUwOroAg

Agreed Choco, lets not forget his performance at Mugabi's 80th birthday party and accepting a gift of land from the dictator too. It's a shame that the demise of the JA record industry hasn't signified and coincided with a total implosion of this phase of dancehall culture so that it might be reborn in a new guise and style. Wishful thinking I suppose.
Purple Radio - Every other Wednesday 6:30 - 8pm http://www.purple-radio.co.uk

Archive of old shows http://www.crytough.com/purple.html
Ringo

Postby John Eden » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08 am

Roman wrote:
Chocolate Soldier wrote:I think one of the worst things to ever happen to reggae music was the arrival of artists like Sizzla et al...

Why? Only because the man refused to bow to conformity and political correctness?

He certainly refused to bow to not being a narrowminded bigot, yes.

Some cracking tunes, mind. :wink:
John Eden

Postby Roman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:23 am

...and the man is probably responsable for for 9/11 and for all the wars in the world too )
Roman

Postby kalcidis » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:38 am

It would be highly unlikely he was responsible for any of that. But yes. Formerly a brilliant artist that is nothing more than a sorry excuse of a person today. The Mugabe session was shocking. It's easy to be righteous on others (never bowing on wanting death on people that he doesn't have anything to do with) but to support one of the most suppressive dictators in Africa and gain monetary wealth and land from it is no problem. Worst kind of hypocrite.
kalcidis

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:46 am

finbar wrote:While people may disagree on the time boundries, most people agree that reggae has already past it's "golden age". It would be impossible to re-create the creative explosion that occurred in Jamaica and lasted a generation or more, because it was based on a confluence of events.....the stars all aligning so to speak. I don't believe that it's reasonable to expect something special and unique like that to last forever, as nothing does. Look at all of the great music scenes of the 20th century (New Orleans, Chicago, Kansas City, London, Memphis etc.): all experienced a "golden creative age" that no longer exists, but these scenes are drawn upon as touchstones and wells of musical inspiration, and will be for a long time. The scene may be over, but the influence persists.

This makes a lot of sense to me - as everything has a life cycle: scenes, firms, people, civilizations etc.... a well-reasoned take on the rise & subsequent decline of JA music.. luckily its been documented in the form of recordings....
Chocolate Soldier

Postby John Eden » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Roman wrote:...and the man is probably responsable for for 9/11 and for all the wars in the world too )

I think the evidence for that is quite thin, unless you know more than me?

The evidence of his bigotry seems pretty clear.
John Eden

Postby Roman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Zimbabwe and Jamaica have had generally friendly relations since Mugabe became president in 1980. Bob Marley, the Jamaican reggae superstar, even attended Mugabe’s inauguration and perform a song called "Zimbabwe" in honor of the president.

Current Jamaican musician Sizzla, who performed at Mugabe’s birthday celebration in 2010, said: "I see [Mugabe] as one of my fathers from Africa. He's part of my nation, the black nation. In all that he's done -- whether it's good or bad -- I hope and pray that it's for the betterment of the people.”

Just wait a minute, didn't Bob Marley also play for Robert Mugabe, "one of the most suppressive dictators in Africa" back in the days?

BTW look what Mugabe says about Jamaicans (according to the ibtimes.com) - Sizzla is mentioned in the article too:

http://www.ibtimes.com/zimbabwes-mugabe ... ion-788916
Roman

Postby kalcidis » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:13 pm

To be honest I don't know if Marley played for Mugabe. He probably did. This would however be in a time when he was seen as a progressive and positive force, making Zimbabwe a sovereign country in 1980 (Majority rule in Zimbabwe!). Bob Marley also died some ten years before it became apparent (on an international level at least) that Mugabe was an oppressive dictator. It was in the mid 90's (if I'm not mistaken) the country started going downwards and Mugabe launched his horrid anti-homosexuality campaign. I do not expect you understand the importance of context and chronology however. You were already pretty bad at making good and coherent arguments and after smacking a bottle to the head... oh well. :roll: Nuff off topic from me -- I'll keep to the subject from now on.
kalcidis

Postby John Eden » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Exactly.
John Eden

Postby jb welda » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Blame it on the Stones. Blame all the hate and violence on the Rolling Stones. -Kris Kristofferson

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Mark T » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:02 pm

I imagine you could make the case that any era of Jamaican music contained the following:
Love songs, misogynistic songs, conscious songs, slack songs, anti-gay songs, and more bad/mediocre tunes than good tunes. It just seems that in the last few years there seem to be less and less good songs (hardly any) and far more aggressive songs in the anti-gay vein.
I find most of it unlistenable these days and just don't bother with it - I certainly don't want to hear any songs urging me to hate or kill anyone.

We probably do date the golden era differently as pointed out but I reckon you could make a very strong case for 1977-82 or somewhere in there. But I'm sure the reason I say that is because that's when I came to reggae and those are the tunes that got me excited.
My son was looking at a record the other day and I said "that's nearly 40 years old - you won't be talking about any 40 year old mp3 files you own will you?" :D We've already agreed that he gets all the records when I shuffle off this mortal coil as long as he keeps the collection in one piece. The other three kids don't seem too interested.

Mark T
Mark T

Postby beenie bongo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Mark T wrote: "that's nearly 40 years old - you won't be talking about any 40 year old mp3 files you own will you?" :D

LOL, you made my day, Mark, thank you! :D
beenie bongo

Postby dan i dubdub » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:39 pm

That's a powerful thing for him to know Mark. My dad bought records until he was about 50 (all different styles) and about five years ago, he gave me all his 45s as he doesn't have a turntable any more. I grew up to many of those records, especially his rock n roll/rnb tunes from the 60s, and it is a great thing to be the keeper of his collection. I have made some CDs of certain things for him, so he can listen to them on his ipod, so he gets to hear them more often. We're both winners!

The passing on of musical knowledge and experience is really important, especially now there are hardly any record shops left where you might pick up useful titbits.
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub

Postby Roman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:54 pm

kalcidis: I am sure many millions of people in the world still see R. Mugabe as a great liberator rather than an oppressive dictator. The level of social acceptance of homosexuality varies from country to country but in many, perhaps even in the majority of the so called third world countries homosexuality is illegal and in some cases even punishable by death. I don't think Mugabe's anti-homosexuality campaign was something rare or unique in modern Africa's history.
Roman

Postby Roman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:06 pm

John Eden wrote: being a narrowminded bigot

isn't really a crime is it? :lol:

BTW... Not only Sizzla has performed for "dictators":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/1 ... 97667.html

I've never heard anyone protesting against J-Lo... Why?
Roman

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion