Jah Life In Dub

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Jah Life In Dub

Postby jps » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:37 pm

This is a seriously rare record I guess? Looks to be going for quite a bit of money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROOTS-RADICS-lp ... 58a26e2886

I've seen very little about this album. Anyone have any info on it? I did find this page that says it was produced by Jah Life, which is what it looks to say on the back sleeve as well, but the record is on Revolutionary Sounds and the label credits Germain. From the song titles it looks to be tracks from Jah Life.

http://dublp.roots-archives.com/jahlife.html
jps

Re: Jah Life In Dub

Postby kalcidis » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:22 pm

I've only seen two copies of it. The one on that dub LP page and this auction. When I saw it on the dub LP page I was quite convinced it was the wrong record in the sleeve. Because the Germain and Jah Life connection doesn't make sense for me. Also when checking the titles on the sleeve it looked more like it was supposed to be for the JA press of the Big Showdown LP or something (the titles look like they are more or less dubs to the songs on the Jah Guidance dub LP). But now since there's a new copy with the same Germain LP in it doesn't seem like it's put there at random. Still one of the samples I've heard of the LP has a Wade Dyce/Cultural Roots vocal which makes more sense for it to be a Germain production since he released a lot of Cultural Roots stuff.

Very interesting album none the less. I put a bid on it for $450 (second highest bidder at the moment). Just got my first full time job and figured I'd spend BIG on a record for once. But not only was there a higher bidder, the reserve hasn't even been met. :roll:
kalcidis

Postby Mark T » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:57 pm

I'm seriously impressed Kalcidis! Way to celebrate getting a job!! :D
I am closing in on a nice job after some time unemployed and thought I might drop $40 on an album I would like but I'm not in your league 8)
Mark T
Mark T

Postby jb welda » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:13 am

kalcidis, would you like me to send you my list of dub LPs for sale?

:lol:

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby kalcidis » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:29 am

Mark T: Haha. I wish I would impress with other things than putting a (ridiculous) bid on an album. :) To my defence I've been living as a student for ten years now and I would assume that 99% of my collection is bought for £15 a record or less. Also I've sold some records lately so I would pay more or less with money that came from records any way. (excuse after excuse ... I know :wink: ) I hope you get the job and that the record you'll buy is a real killer.

Jah Bill: Please do. But don't expect an offer near that for a copy of Ital Dub :D
kalcidis

Postby jb welda » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:18 pm

roots radics radical dub session?

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Ras Berry » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:55 pm

jb welda wrote:roots radics radical dub session?

Used to be a £2.99 LP 'back in the day' - and worth about that too (dub-by-numbers)

8)
Ras Berry

Postby jb welda » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:00 pm

yes I believe that is about what I paid for it at boudisque in a'dam around then. kinda agree on your assessment too, never liked that wackies sound much and I think this release was pretty pedestrian even by their standards. but I have seen it bring big money unlike most other records I have...and that's the irony of much of this collectors fever: if something stunk it didn't sell therefore it is rare now and worth a lot of money (sometimes). and "stunk" is relative; plenty stuff I thought stunk back then really did grow on me or struck me a lot more later on when the prevailing trends of the time weren't so obvious.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby RB » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:43 am

whoever bought this got chumped. the record as depicted by the jacket, "Jah Life in Dub" doesn't exist.
the jackets were made and the record was never pressed. a while later, Germain needed some jackets for one of his dub LP's, so Jah Life gave him about 200 of the aborted 'Jah Life in Dub' LP jacket to house his LP in.
not sure exactly which Germain dub LP went in these jackets, but pretty sure it's one of the volumes of the 'Dub Out Her Blouse & Skirt' series. but i could be wrong and it's a diff. one. either way, it's a Germain LP in a mis-matched Jah Life jacket and nothing else.
RB

Postby jb welda » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:49 am

wow that's pretty interesting RB, looks like roots archive got taken in too then:

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Ruffneck » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:06 am

Thanks RB, that's the kind of "mythbuster" info you only seem to get here. Wonder what happened to the real "Jah Life in Dub" though, upcoming DKR release perhaps? Or was it never even mixed on tape?
Ruffneck

Postby kalcidis » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks for the info, Rob. When it comes to the Dub Out Her Blouse & Skirt I'm certain it's not pt. 1 or "pt. 2" (the Joy White) since I have both and don't recognise the Wade Dyce vocal from any of them. Pt. 3 I don't have and can't check unfortunately. Could it be an all-together different Germain dub LP?

Dub-ub-ub-ub! :D
kalcidis

Postby mghifi » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:07 pm

I own Dub off Har Blouse Vol 3 and can tell you for certain that it's not that lp, going by the sample from the album supplied here:

mghifi

Postby RB » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:13 pm

yes, the real "Jah Life in Dub" LP will be released via DKR in the future, featuring the original intended art as on that jacket. it was mixed and completed on tape, just never released.

re: the Germain LP
i have 'Dub Out...' Vol. 3 as well, it's a good LP w/ some wicked Cultural Roots dubs, i never bothered to compare it to the youtube sample below, but if you did and they don't match up, then this Germain LP in the Jah Life jacket must be a rare one in and of itself...
RB

Postby mghifi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:26 pm

Nice. Looking forward to it.
mghifi

Next

Return to General discussion