Cornell Campbell meets the Soothsayers

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Cornell Campbell meets the Soothsayers

Postby Varese » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Got this album Monday, and it's easily the best I've heard this year. Wonderful vocals, great band and sweet music. If you haven't heard it yet I fully recommend it!

Here's a soundcloud link to one of the tunes- a lot of the album is up there: https://soundcloud.com/red-earth-1/with-you-my-heart-belongs
Varese

Re: Cornell Campbell meets the Soothsayers

Postby lankou » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:12 am

Sounds good - though i don't like the way too many tunes start with the reverb effect, which could come later in the mix, imho.
Not the best i have heard this year but very nice, still. Great to see Mr Campbell in good vocal form!
Strut really is a fine label.
Thanks for the pointers.
lankou

Postby Donovan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:08 am

For those who have picked up both, which is the stronger set - this or New Scroll?
Donovan

Postby Varese » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:33 am

I prefer the Soothsayers set. Cornell actually had a hand in the writing of the music, and his involvement shows in the way he seems to have invested more time in writing lyrics, never his strong suit. The band is excellent to- normally they play afrofunk and reggae, so it's a more 'British' sound, but one which works well. Great horn section too..

They're playing Lambeth Country fair this weekend and some other club in Camden(?) during next week; I might even force myself to leave the delights of Brighton if it gets slightly less hot!
Varese

Postby lankou » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:33 am

Now i have the album in my hands, i just feel like changing my initial impressions, after having listened to it on a good stereo.
This record truly is a great surprise, it is such a pleasure to find Mr Campbell in such fine form, the musicians also provide a subtle melodic and deep sound. I didn't like the delay effects too much at first but but they really aren't used at random. Deep bass, melodic cutting horn lines, nice keyboard interventions at the right places. Kind of like when you mix a Cymande vibe with the best of UK reggae styles from the 73-83 era.Very well produced, it is so nice to see that reggae albums as elaborate as that one can still see the light of day. The Soothsayers have toned down their more obvious afro influences but they still manage to pop up in the mix in very discreet but effective touches. Wouldn't be surprised if that one ended in my top 5 in 2013. The best reggae album i have heard this year, alongside Madrid's own Tasty Grooves'. As i have never seen their name mentioned on this forum - which mainly deals with the anglo-saxon side of things - if you don't know, get to know!
Both authentic traditional reggae played with REAL instruments by inspired musicians who still have a knack for groove and soul.
lankou

Postby dan i dubdub » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Soothsayers are a great live band and I for one don't want them to tone down the African influences in their work. They make a good combination with Cornel Campbell who sounds in fine form on recent releases, especially 'Greedy Ways' on Roots Garden. I saw them backing Johnny Clarke and definitely want to check them out again.
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub

Postby j j » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:18 am

I actually like Cornels "New Scroll" a lot more :shock: :roll: :P

j j
j j

Postby Donovan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:02 am

Okay, I picked up both, and I'm glad I did so. Meets the Soothsayers is killer. Well constructed arrangements, great melodies, beautiful singing. 2013's best new release so far, IMO. New Scroll has it's own hypnotic charm as well. More restricted in it's creativity but awesome nonetheless. Seems to go for more of a hard-core minimalist vibe and it works.

Plus Ernie has just put up the new Vernon Maytone LP, On The Right Track. Never heard of the uniteam label from France but the clips sounded sweet. Ordered it straight off as I'm a Maytones fanatic.

2013 is turning out to be a great year for us Greybeards.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby j j » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:31 am

yeah I had a listen to that Maytone LP & it does sound nice.

j j
j j

Return to General discussion