How is Rock Steady recorded

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

How is Rock Steady recorded

Postby RassAppie » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:04 am

Hello

can someone tell me how rock steady was Recorded at Federeal? with lynn tait and the jets
what i meen is mic stands? intrument posision? ext ext

i wanna do a rock steady session in november

Jah Bless Appie
Jah Jah Send His Blessings, Upon Each And Everyone (Gladstone "Gladdy" Anderson)
RassAppie

Re: How is Rock Steady recorded

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:05 pm

I wasn't there at the time but I think you can safely assume things were recorded 'old school' style:

musicians playing at the same time in the same room with no headphones, no overdubs
minimal amount of microphones / desk / tape deck channels..
Maybe 1 / 2 mics on the drums at the most...
Assumedly using high quality microphones of the day most likely ribbons: RCA 77dx / RCA 44 ...
Music submixed during recording to one or two tape channels.
Vocals done at possibly the same time or overdubbed later.

I have visited the former Federal studio (now operating as Tuff Gong) and can report the recording room is quite spacious (by modern standards), good sounding with wooden floor...

Good luck!
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Scroll down for pics of Johnny Nash recording at Federal in 1969:

http://www.reevesaudio.com/vintagesessions.html

Chocolate Soldier

Postby RassAppie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Thanks everyone :) i think this will help me altot:) i will record with analoge tape
Jah Jah Send His Blessings, Upon Each And Everyone (Gladstone "Gladdy" Anderson)
RassAppie

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:31 am

Here's a glimpse at various studios back in the day before overdubbing, where the music would get laid down all together by the musicians, live.. :

Last edited by Chocolate Soldier on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:35 am

So it becomes about the performances as the track goes down, the sounds of the instruments, mic choice / mic placement, how people are situated in the space, documenting it well... also mic leakage, sounds bleeding from another source can add to the character / sonic picture...as does the actual physical space itself... also with minimal mics, drummers have to be more 'in tune' in a situation like this eg: if for example the hi hat is 'too loud' compared to the rest of the kit, they have to 'turn it down' by playing the hi hat less loudly...
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Roman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:06 pm

Chocolate Soldier wrote:if for example the hi hat is 'too loud' compared to the rest of the kit, they have to 'turn it down' by playing the hi hat less loudly...

That's probably why the hi hat is almost inaudible on so many rock steady/early reggae productions...
Roman

Return to General discussion