The Harder They Come Part 2?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

The Harder They Come Part 2?

Postby AT2JA » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:10 pm

On the DVD extra that I have Perry Hanzell speaks extensively about about a sequel to THTC. Obviously this never happened. Anyone know why?
AT2JA

Re: The Harder They Come Part 2?

Postby vane » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:26 pm

This from Geoff Parker's article on Perry Henzell on Reggaezine gives a hint of what might have been:

"Last of all, a project which is mentioned only towards the end of the interview, almost as a casual aside, but will be of enormous interest to all fans of reggae music. This is the news that a sequel to The Harder They Come is now in the offing. While understandably unwilling to give too much away Perry Henzell says "It's thirty years later. Ivan comes out of gaol, terribly damaged. So it's the story of how music revives him and brings him back. The script is written. The funding will come from Los Angeles and they say they have the money."

http://www.reggaezine.co.uk/perryhenzell.html
vane

Postby Mick Sleeper » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:36 pm

From what I know, The Harder They Come was supposed to be the first in a planned trilogy. Not all three movies would be about Ivan, but about life in Jamaica. Henzell wrote the scripts, but could never get the money, so he went back to directing TV commercials. Every once in awhile, Jimmy Cliff will talk about a sequel, but since it hasn't happened in 40 years, I don't think it ever will.
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby rastafariliveth » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:34 pm

There where 3 stories,
The Harder They Come
No Place Like Home
Power Game

This was the trilogy, not sure if i have them in correct order but i think the film was first, they did make a 2nd film which was "No Place Like Home" which was about a US film crew who came to JA to shoot a commercial and the lady in the advert fell in love etc etc.. more of a romance film, i have seen it but it has never been released. From what i can remember(my memory isn't great!)the film reels where lost after filming as they went into storage, i think much of it was filmed around the time of The Harder They Come too, in the film you have Countryman, Carl Bradshaw+others... but the film was lost for decades and turned up years later in some storage house, these where all mixed up film reels so someone in the US offered to help Perry put them all together and he was doing this just before he passed away, he died i think the week before the premier in Jamaica so never got to see the final results. The film may be released at some point in the near future, i heard they where talking with distributors so watch this space.... It is nothing like The Harder They Come but not meant to be and due to the fact is was lost and everything mixed up for all those years putting it back together as he originally had it in his mind must have been difficult.

The last one was never made into a film but published as a book which you can buy on amazon...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0230029906/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=reggaedvdscou-21&camp=2902&creative=19466&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=0230029906&adid=1ABA5D8MMYNR725EB2PE&

The Harder They Come 2, this was a film project said to be taken on by Perry's daughter i believe and it was reported in the JA press a few times that the production was underway.... not heard anything about it for over a year now and i don't think it happened as planned but no facts on this one.... JA papers are best source for this one.

There was also a Countryman 2 film planned and in the works just before the director Dickie Jobson passed away, script was ready and filming was apparently just about to start just before he passed, one of his close friends made a promise to complete the film at his funeral so, watch this space! (their is a documentary "Listen to the Ocean" AKA Countryman 2 about Countryman himself premiering in JA this August but this is not a feature film)
rastafariliveth

Postby dan i dubdub » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:56 pm

rastafariliveth wrote:There was also a Countryman 2 film planned and in the works just before the director Dickie Jobson passed away, script was ready and filming was apparently just about to start just before he passed, one of his close friends made a promise to complete the film at his funeral so, watch this space! (their is a documentary "Listen to the Ocean" AKA Countryman 2 about Countryman himself premiering in JA this August but this is not a feature film)

Some great news here. 'Countryman' really made a huge impression on me when I saw it/heard the soundtrack at the age of 15. I went to an all night party at a friend's house where the LP played continuously through the night. I think I went home singing the whole thing to myself the next morning, and bought a copy on the way home.
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub

Postby rastafariliveth » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:32 am

this was the promo poster for the film before it was made but not sure whats happened to the project now.

This is the new documentary on Countryman today, he still lives on the same beach where the film was made "Hellshire" and has lived their since the early 60's i beleive maybe even 50's! all revealed in the film and he shows old bits of memorabilia from the film which are now rotting away with time. He's happy there on the beach with his wife and kids, he tells the story of how the beach was forrest when he arrived, woodland and now it's all beach and lots more people but explains how the tourists help the community by coming to buy the fish and from the locals, they have a little micro economy their, if your ever in Kingston you should go down to Hellshire and say hello to the legend!...nice to see someone make a film about him today. It premieres in Jamaica first week in August 1-5th at Island Village, Ocho Rios, (Reggae Film Festival)

See picture of Countryman on the top right!! this is a poster of the 2nd Henzell film which i mentioned thats not released yet made around the same time as The Harder They Come.
Take note of the necklace Country is wearing in this poster, check the top picture he has exactly the same necklace almost 40years later!!!
This is the TRAILER of NO PLACE LIKE HOME http://youtu.be/o7B4JPdGJ58
rastafariliveth

Return to General discussion