Romain Virgo

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Romain Virgo

Postby BMC » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:56 am

Been following Romain Virgo's music ever since hearing Caan Sleep on the I Feel Good riddim for Penthouse (Donovan Germain) somewhere in 2008 or so. Two albums out by now, both very nice modern roots sets (JA style) and yesterday had the chance to see him live for the first time in P60, Amstelveen, Netherlands. A very low turn out, I'd guess around 50 - 60 people in the audience, but despite that he gave it his best and impressed me with a 90 minutes set of tune after tune. Great voice, positive vibes and live as good as on record. Played album tracks and singles, among which his latest release for Maximum Sound, a tune that's still in my head now after hearing it yesterday evening: We No Worry 'Bout Them. Big tune.

Tracks played (from memory):
Wha Dis Pon Me, Wanna Go Home (Rain Is Falling), Love Doctor, Taking You Home, I Am Rich In Love, The System, Minimum Wage, Who Feels It Knows It, Another Day Another Dollar, No Money, Live Mi Life, Beat You Down, All Out, I Know Better, Dem A Coward, Don't You Remember, Mi Caan Sleep, We No Worry 'Bout Them and I'm probably forgetting a few.

It's him and Chronixx that are the highlights of the new generation of singers from the island for me at the moment. Quality music, though probably not B&F-board-proof, but that aside. :wink:
BMC

Re: Romain Virgo

Postby kalcidis » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:17 am

I'm with you on both Romain and Chronixx. I have even more hopes on Chronixx to sing some of this generation's classic reggae.
kalcidis

Postby lankou » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:40 am

Yes, Romain Virgo has what few current JA talents have : the ability to improve a so so riddim by adding his vocals to it. He can be moving and knows how to write articulate lyrics in various moods. 2/3 of the tunes of his albums are really solid, not to mention a number of "singles". That's one artist i'd like to check live.
As for Chronixx, found him promising at first but he is turning more and more into a letdown. Correct vocalist but less personality, much less soulful than RV. Not someone who improves a standard riddim,imho, and as he tends to record more and more tunes on weak riddims...
lankou

Postby johnnyB » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Agree with lankou.The two singers are not on the same level yet.Romain Virgo is a well established artist with a long string of hits and a superior singing technique (see him live).As for Chronixx he's doing well,some great tunes and some average too.He surely has time to grow.
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby Cold Sweat » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Yup, was a good show. Romain gave everythig he had, even though the turnout wasn't all that.
Strong start, strong finish, but the middle part with the Adele cover and other slower tunes was a bit of a downer.

He also played "another day another dollar" if I'm not mistaken.

Chronixx I rate very much as well. Haven't seen him live yet, though. 'Here come's trouble" is golden!
http://pressurebeat.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pressurebeatblog
Cold Sweat

Return to General discussion