How do you feel about cameras/video in a dance?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: How do you feel about cameras/video in a dance?

Postby tuathal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:05 am

Phones are getting bigger and bigger with screens approaching ipad sizes. You cant bring a lamp into a session so I dont think it should be a birthright to hold up a bright sreen in the air and disturb those around you. Too many people thinking about later all the time, "capturing the moment" , think about your bredrin behind you and enjoy the moment. My 2 bits

Ites!
tuathal

Postby underated » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:39 pm

Yip ,

What happens in the dance, Stays in the dance !

I don't want to watch videos of people smoking & drinking & looking high :)
underated

Postby arty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:49 pm

+1 for no fliming or photos.
Don't know how it came to be seen as a right to be able to film someone - normal courtesy demands that you ask first, and it someone says no, then you don't film or take photos.
A photo posted here recently summed it up for me - I forget which thread, but someone singing/deejaying on a sound, and everyone around the singer had a video camera, camera or phone out. Don't they go to a dance to dance?
And the mobile phone youtube clips are always crap. If you just want to ID a tune, just discreetly record an audio clip, no need for all the waste of time low quality videos.
arty

Postby Living Bate » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:01 pm

I dont see a problem if someone wants to take a snap or two.....but like people are saying, some are spoiling the occassion for themselves because instead of just enjoying it they are constantly trying to capture it......it seems crazy....

i saw Marcia Griffiths a coupla years back and she stopped the show and told someone to stop filming......

its the same with the football though.....Champions League final for example.....everyone trying to capture moments on their mobiles instead of just enjoying it.....plus its being televised for fugz sake!.....
Living Bate

Postby Roman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Living Bate & Mikus: I totally agree with you. I used to be like that myself when I was younger - I was always trying to capture as much audio and video as possible and I always ended up tired, stressed and disillusioned. I am not saying "never again" but I'll definitely try to find some balance between filming (if allowed) and enjoying myself ina dance/show cause life is too short.
Roman

Postby Anbessa » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:47 am

I have no problem with people filming or taking pictures in a public dance, but I don't see the point of it either. The quality is usually crap, as the mics can't handle the volume of the speakers, and it's way too dark to see anything.
I did a few times in Jamaica for some special events (shows), like the Count Ossie tribute, and I am glad I did. But it clearly spoils the fun, you can't even dance while filming.

Seeing all these people watching their small screen all night long reminds me of the joke
- "How were your hollidays ?"
- "Don't know, haven't seen the pictures yet"...
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa

Postby dan i dubdub » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:03 pm

Anbessa wrote:Seeing all these people watching their small screen all night long reminds me of the joke
- "How were your hollidays ?"
- "Don't know, haven't seen the pictures yet"...

BOOM!
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub

Postby rez » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:00 pm

I think it's crazy that people try and ban people taking a couple of pics in a public space...

Ok I can kind of dig if a particular scene's followers are 99% involved in major criminality and therefore are against any photos of them existing..... but is that really the case with the majority of reggae fans these days?

Nearly got crucified a few years back for taking a picture of one of the PAs in a University of Dub dance. Had to just laugh at the dread gestapo really, I only wanted to have a few memories of a good experience.

Now all that said the modern thing of half the crowd spending their night with cameraphones in hand recording the thing is total ****. But that seems to be a general thing in the last few years with the rise of cameraphones, facebook and all the rest. Need to push back on that as much as we can definitely but a complete ban on pictures is farcical.
rez

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:32 am

I don't know the motivation for the no filming policy in this case - but back in the pre mobile phone / pre internet days, bands/music artistes who maintained a no recording/filming policy tended to do this to thwart bootleggers who might then sell unauthorized live recordings/footage.... and also to retain control over their music and performance.

One interesting alternate approach which worked to deflate the chances of bootleggers, create goodwill with fans and promote the music was used by the US rock band the Grateful Dead who created an area at shows for fans to record with a direct board feed provided. Their fans then avidly traded these live show cassettes (pre internet days).

No filming policies seem to be hard to enforce these days seeing as everyone now carries the tools with with them on their mobile phone..

Like Dougie says sometimes stuff people upload to youtube now is not particularly flattering when it comes to artists & their live appearances.

Though with Shaka it could be said the unauthorized youtube clips probably also help to promote him far & wide and to people who have never been to a dance.

It seems with mobile phones & how accustomed everyone has become to documenting everything, there is also a sense of entitlement...

In the case of Shaka dances, if there's a no filming request then I think people should respect that, especially considering that if he or his crew notice people filming or taking pics - it might cause annoyance or distract their train of thought....
Chocolate Soldier

Previous

Return to General discussion