Dennis brown dubplate cuts

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Dennis brown dubplate cuts

Postby nickfa » Wed May 08, 2013 8:37 am

i was wondering if anyone can identify these 2 Dennis Brown songs
and were either of them released i now know the lyrics of the second tune were used in a 90's song called "Righteousness
which was cut for King jammy's in the early 90's

http://www.divshare.com/download/24064109-753

http://www.divshare.com/download/24064110-a57

I think they are more than likely Joe Gibbscuts as the b side of the plate is 2 culture cuts of More vacancy and Them a payaka
many thanks in advance
Nick
nickfa

Re: Dennis brown dubplate cuts

Postby edgar » Wed May 08, 2013 9:18 am

second one is 'still they transgress'' Was used by Coxsone UK, there are several different mixed cuts, some with the same lyrics but slightly different riddim. yours sounds like one of the ´softer´ cuts.
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby nickfa » Wed May 08, 2013 9:35 am

ide like to hear the harder cuts
Nick
nickfa

Postby skunkride » Wed May 08, 2013 10:07 am

Very nice tunes...would LOVE to see some of these unreleased DEB cuts getting a proper release including dub versions which are only available on plate (Deliverance Will Come, Love Jah, Black Liberation etc.). Sadly i doubt these tunes were ever cut to master tape so guess the chances are pretty low...pity as this music is crucial !
skunkride

Postby Novice » Wed May 08, 2013 7:57 pm

Second does sound like a "softer" cut of the dubplate "Know Righteousness" aka "Transgressors," a Joe Gibbs if memory serves right. I heard the tougher one on a Rootman session with alright sound quality and eventually got a better mp3 copy from one of the boarders somewhere, don't want to say who in case of "exclusivity" **** but then my brother accidentally deleted an annoying amount of music off our hard drive and I asked the boarder for it again but he couldn't recall what tune I meant. Oh well! Bass line in the one I remember was a bit rougher and harder hitting and the vocals were delivered a bit more "righteously" for lack of a better word. Russ D had it on his list/samples of dubplates on his brothers page which is no longer available as far as I know...maybe he can post a sample for you if you ask real nice but who's got the time anymore for anything...Cheers!

-Me-
Novice

Postby nickfa » Thu May 09, 2013 8:09 am

Thanks Novice, your info is very much appreciated, so i t appears that their are just not different mixes but possibly different takes of it.
here is a link to a later jammy's cut using the same lyrics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVAqm2dYcjw
Nick
nickfa

Postby KEEL » Fri May 10, 2013 8:32 am

dubplates I have heard of DB tunes have always sounded really terrible, seem to remember Dennis interview where he seemed to forget voicing the transgression tune, understandable I guess given the output.
Throw out your life line...
KEEL

Postby nickfa » Fri May 10, 2013 9:07 am

KEEL wrote:dubplates I have heard of DB tunes have always sounded really terrible, seem to remember Dennis interview where he seemed to forget voicing the transgression tune, understandable I guess given the output.

I know it is just my opinion but i would say the 2 tracks on this dubplate were pretty much top tunes and would not have looked out of place on Visions or words of wisdom.
Nick
nickfa

Postby Novice » Sun May 12, 2013 1:03 am

Went back and listened to the copy I have and yours and am not quite sure about my comments. I tried comparing the vocal delivery practically one word/lyric at a time and I'm not sure they sound that different...then I thought it might be the mix, where music drops out etc.. or thought maybe the one drum or cowbell sound but now I'm not quite sure...it might just be a case of hearing a particular tune at one volume or quality or another or at one venue/circumstance or another but the one I have sounds somehow a bit more raw/rough though when listening side by side I'm not sure there is as much difference as I originally had thought/heard.

If I can figure out how to chop a long mp3 down to the two minutes or so during the song I will but don't hold your breath.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Novice » Sun May 12, 2013 1:33 am

Sorted. I don't know how to put it on here so if you got an email now would be the time to hit me with it. Don't come 'round that often n'more, you see, on account this bein' an old burial ground for free thoughts and free'er expressions of 'em...what used to be free became merely cheap which always ends up costing more than it's worth so geeet it geet it go'on wit it!!

-Me-
Novice

Postby Novice » Wed May 22, 2013 1:20 am

Hello Nick, Check your PM....sorry about the delay...I rarely if ever us PM and always forget it's there to use.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Rootsman » Wed May 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Novice wrote:Second does sound like a "softer" cut of the dubplate "Know Righteousness" aka "Transgressors," a Joe Gibbs if memory serves right. I heard the tougher one on a Rootman session with alright sound quality and eventually got a better mp3 copy from one of the boarders somewhere, don't want to say who in case of "exclusivity" **** but then my brother accidentally deleted an annoying amount of music off our hard drive and I asked the boarder for it again but he couldn't recall what tune I meant. Oh well! Bass line in the one I remember was a bit rougher and harder hitting and the vocals were delivered a bit more "righteously" for lack of a better word. Russ D had it on his list/samples of dubplates on his brothers page which is no longer available as far as I know...maybe he can post a sample for you if you ask real nice but who's got the time anymore for anything...Cheers!

The second cut (Jammys) came about after I had interviewed DEB here in Bradford about 92 or 93. I asked him about Don't Know Righteousness and he was surprised that I knew the tune. He sung me a few lines of it there and then. About three weeks later the new version was out on the streets so he must have gone straight into Jammys when he got back to Jamaica and cut it.
Gal alone tek off my underpants
http://www.johnbolloten.co.uk
Rootsman

Postby nickfa » Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 am

Rootsman wrote:
Novice wrote:Second does sound like a "softer" cut of the dubplate "Know Righteousness" aka "Transgressors," a Joe Gibbs if memory serves right. I heard the tougher one on a Rootman session with alright sound quality and eventually got a better mp3 copy from one of the boarders somewhere, don't want to say who in case of "exclusivity" **** but then my brother accidentally deleted an annoying amount of music off our hard drive and I asked the boarder for it again but he couldn't recall what tune I meant. Oh well! Bass line in the one I remember was a bit rougher and harder hitting and the vocals were delivered a bit more "righteously" for lack of a better word. Russ D had it on his list/samples of dubplates on his brothers page which is no longer available as far as I know...maybe he can post a sample for you if you ask real nice but who's got the time anymore for anything...Cheers!

The second cut (Jammys) came about after I had interviewed DEB here in Bradford about 92 or 93. I asked him about Don't Know Righteousness and he was surprised that I knew the tune. He sung me a few lines of it there and then. About three weeks later the new version was out on the streets so he must have gone straight into Jammys when he got back to Jamaica and cut it.

Shame he vever remembered the original bass line i think the jammy cut was to pick up the pieces and sounded some what tame.
Nick
nickfa

Postby Novice » Fri May 24, 2013 2:32 am

Nick, I tried responding to your email but it kept bouncing back....you're welcome was all I was saying...and one other thing but no worries.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Novice » Fri May 24, 2013 10:44 pm

Nick, I think I figured it out, it was two files, must have been too big so I sent one at a time.

-Me-
Novice

Next

Return to General discussion