Bunny Lee & Friends - new King Spinna

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Bunny Lee & Friends - new King Spinna

Postby mghifi » Thu May 02, 2013 5:47 pm

mghifi

Re: Bunny Lee & Friends - new King Spinna

Postby j j » Thu May 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Sweet! Looking forward to the tracklist.

j j
j j

Postby Ital Dokta » Fri May 03, 2013 1:34 am

CD only unfortunately...
Ital Dokta

Postby Varese » Sat May 04, 2013 7:47 pm

From the promo info:

'After two heavyweight dub excursions, firstly from Bunny Lee & The Agrovators and then from The Breadwinners, King Spinna’s third release is an all-singing affair. In fact it was suggested by Bunny Lee himself – “Why you don’t put out the vocals?” he asked on first hearing “Dub Will Change Your Mind” which featured all the B-side versions from this set. It turned out to be an excellent suggestion; Bunny worked with every Jamaican singer of note during the period from 1967 when he first made his debut as a producer through to the mid / late Seventies. Indeed, the rollcall of great singers Bunny has worked with who are not included on this compilation - the likes of Slim Smith, Alton Ellis, Delroy Wilson, Pat Kelly, Max Romeo, Ken Boothe, Dennis Brown, Horace Andy, Barry Brown etc. - is considerably longer than the list of artists included here.

Nevertheless, this release features nine great singers ranging from veterans such as Owen Gray, Derrick Morgan and Jackie Edwards to vocalists who emerged later like Cornell Campbell, John Holt, Ronnie Davis, Leroy Smart, Joy White and Johnny Clarke. The tracks included on this set were originally released between the years 1975 to 1978 and range in subject matter from straightforward love songs to socially aware roots and reality themes with all the singers proving themselves equally adept at the different styles.

Ronnie Davis and Johnny Clarke are two singers who worked extensively with Bunny, producing literally hundreds of tracks between them. On this set Ronnie contributes “Good News”, a re-working of John Holt’s “Sad News”, plus his own original “That’s Life”. Johnny Clarke provides “Up Park Camp”, another John Holt cover, and also teams up with Derrick Morgan for an update of “Behold”, originally recorded by The Blues Busters in 1962.

Indeed Derrick, along with Cornell Campbell, both feature heavily on this set, each one offering four songs apiece. Derrick dusts off a couple of his old ska and rocksteady hits, “Teach My Baby” (1962) which here becomes “Teach My Daughter” and “Tougher Than Tough” (1967) now presented as “Rasta Don’t Fear”. He also weighs in with a couple of 1976 originals “Under Heavy Manners” and “Pick Sense Out Of Nonsense”. Cornell, meanwhile, also has two originals with “Gorgon A The Ginegog” and “Jah Forgive Me” along with two cover versions, “Have You Changed Your Mind”, yet another John Holt song, and “My One And Only Lover”, a 1978 update of Gregory Isaacs’ huge 1973 hit “My Only Lover”.

Despite his songwriting prowess John Holt’s only track on the album is itself a cover version; “In The Springtime” is a re-titled interpretation of David Ruffin’s 1976 Motown release “Everything’s Coming Up Love”, written by the prolific Van McCoy.

Four other singers each bring one song to the mix; firstly the unmistakable Leroy Smart with the repatriation themed “We Want To Go Home”, while Joy White offers a female perspective on “Idlers On The Street”. Riding the same rhythm as “Rasta Don’t Fear” and reinforcing the sentiment of that song Owen Gray sends out a defiant message on “I Man Naah Run”. Last, but certainly not least, the great Jackie Edwards celebrates all things Jamaican on “This Is Another Festival”.

01 Good News Ronnie Davis​​
02 Up Park Camp Johnny Clarke​​
03 Gorgon A The Ginegog Cornell Campbell​​
04 Teach My Daughter Derrick Morgan​​
05 Idlers On The Street Joy White
06 Rasta Don’t Fear Derrick Morgan​​
07 I Man Naah Run Owen Gray​​
08 Jah Forgive Me Cornell Campbell​​
​09 We Want To Go Home Leroy Smart
​10 Under Heavy Manners Derrick Morgan
​11 Pick Sense Out Of Nonsense Derrick Morgan
​12 Behold Derrick Morgan & Johnny Clarke