Steppin' Razor: The Life Of Peter Tosh BOOK

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Steppin' Razor: The Life Of Peter Tosh BOOK

Postby j j » Wed May 01, 2013 4:11 am

not sure if this has been mentioned before......due out later this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Steppin-Razor-Lif ... PPIN+RAZOR

Also check John Masouri's Wailing Blues book on Familyman & the Wailers

http://www.amazon.com/Wailing-Blues-Sto ... 1847727069

j j
j j

Re: Steppin' Razor: The Life Of Peter Tosh BOOK

Postby Ringo » Wed May 01, 2013 7:49 am

Wow, more Bob Marley books, can't wait!

Actually the Tosh book might be of some interest if there's anything left to write down but really, does nobody else from the reggae world deserve a book? Coxsone, Duke Reid, Prince Buster, Tubbys, Joe Gibbs, The Chin Family, The Hookims, ET, Delroy Wilson, Ken Boothe, Yabby You, Niney, Alton Ellis etc etc........

Sadly the truth is there's no market for anything other than endless Wailers books. Shame, Penny Reel has a few artist biographies up his sleeve already written and nobody to publish, would much rather read them.
Purple Radio - Every other Wednesday 6:30 - 8pm http://www.purple-radio.co.uk

Archive of old shows http://www.crytough.com/purple.html
Ringo

Postby ice » Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

Ringo wrote:Wow, more Bob Marley books, can't wait!

Wailing Blues is not new and Stepping Razor is not about Marley but Tosh
ice

Postby j j » Thu May 02, 2013 9:39 pm

We are all aware that the number of books on reggae music is fairly small (when compared to other genres of music) but i can't recall another book about the life of Peter Tosh, & going on Mr Masouri's Wailing Blues book , which is very well written & researched & a great read packed full of info & anacdotes on lots of other artists i would have thought this would be of some interest to reggae fans.....

j j
j j

Postby kalcidis » Thu May 02, 2013 9:45 pm

The little I've read from John Masouri in other publications has been very nice so I can imagine it will be very interesting. To be honest I do not know that much about Peter Tosh. The books I've read on Marley have of course provided some info but then again they have obviously also been very centred on Bob. I'm going to pick it up.

I would however second the need for a book on Yabby You or King Tubby. The latter is more likely than the former though. And Ringo. When is that Channel One book of yours going to materialize? That is one book that has to be written. Jo Jo is still alive and well it seems and from what I've gathered he doesn't seem to shy away from an interview either.
kalcidis

Postby Ringo » Fri May 03, 2013 7:54 am

j j wrote:We are all aware that the number of books on reggae music is fairly small (when compared to other genres of music) but i can't recall another book about the life of Peter Tosh, & going on Mr Masouri's Wailing Blues book , which is very well written & researched & a great read packed full of info & anacdotes on lots of other artists i would have thought this would be of some interest to reggae fans.....

j j

As I said "Actually the Tosh book might be of some interest", but I stand by the statement that there are much more interesting characters who have not received the amount of writing so far dedicated to Tosh. His work with the Wailers was his best by far and that is covered in all the Wailers publications.

The Stepping Razor documentary told me about all I need to know about his solo work. Lets face it, he wasn't a premier league singer. A handful of great songs but not comparable to Delroy Wilson, Slim Smith, Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, Burning Spear, the list goes on.

2nd division, and fighting relegation to the 3rd if you include his melodica sides :wink:
Last edited by Ringo on Fri May 03, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ringo

Postby Ringo » Fri May 03, 2013 7:57 am

kalcidis wrote:And Ringo. When is that Channel One book of yours going to materialize? That is one book that has to be written. Jo Jo is still alive and well it seems and from what I've gathered he doesn't seem to shy away from an interview either.

Good question, and probably one you saw me mention on Pama yesterday. I must confess the last 10 years I haven't touched it - no coincidence that my eldest daughter is 10 years old! Kids consume a lot of time, and rightly so :)

I'm going to put up what I've done so far on my website for all to read and correct/argue with, then add to it when I have time.

Ringo

Postby kalcidis » Fri May 03, 2013 9:53 am

Well kids are better than books, books can't do the simplest tasks such as fetching a glass of water when you're too lazy to do it yourself :wink:

To be honest I didn't see anything on PAMA. Will go and take a look now though.
kalcidis

Postby j j » Fri May 03, 2013 10:21 am

It's nice to know you're standing by your statement Ringo :wink: , & yes i agree there are many other artists that need their life stories written down but sadly it seems no one can get these published? , so i'll be pleased to read Steppin Razor in the meantime.

I understand your point that Tosh may not have been in the "premier league" of singers in your opinion but then Tosh didn't release anywhere near as many albums as say Gregory , and there are literaly dozens of Gregory albums that are absolute rubbish.

As far as there being no market for anything but Wailers books you may want to check out the following list (from the shelf behind me...)

Penny Reels "Deep Down With Dennis Brown"
David Katz - People Funny Boy,
Tighten Up (the history of reggae in the UK)
The Rough Guide To Reggae (all three editions, although there is a bit about the various Wailers in this)
Lloyd Bradley's Bass Culture
Chuck Fosters Roots Rock Reggae
David Katz Solid Foundation
Kevin O'Brien Chang & Wayne Chen - Reggae Routes (although the cover features Marley)
Roydale Andersons - Reggae Journey
Boss Sounds - by Marc Griffiths
Reggae Going Int'l The Bunny Lee Story
Beth Lesser King Jammy
The Guinness & Virgin Encyclopedia's of Reggae
Reggae Bloodlines (if it's still in print)
Reggae International (ditto)

& theres probably another dozen out there not specificly about the Wailers.

I look forward to reading your Channel One writings, hope you will give us a heads up when it's up :wink:

cheers
j j
j j

Postby j j » Fri May 03, 2013 10:23 am

Is the Stepping Razor doco the same as the Red X one??? or are they completely different?

j j
j j

Postby Ringo » Fri May 03, 2013 10:54 am

j j wrote:It's nice to know you're standing by your statement Ringo :wink: , & yes i agree there are many other artists that need their life stories written down but sadly it seems no one can get these published? , so i'll be pleased to read Steppin Razor in the meantime.

I understand your point that Tosh may not have been in the "premier league" of singers in your opinion but then Tosh didn't release anywhere near as many albums as say Gregory , and there are literaly dozens of Gregory albums that are absolute rubbish.

As far as there being no market for anything but Wailers books you may want to check out the following list (from the shelf behind me...)

Penny Reels "Deep Down With Dennis Brown"
David Katz - People Funny Boy,
Tighten Up (the history of reggae in the UK)
The Rough Guide To Reggae (all three editions, although there is a bit about the various Wailers in this)
Lloyd Bradley's Bass Culture
Chuck Fosters Roots Rock Reggae
David Katz Solid Foundation
Kevin O'Brien Chang & Wayne Chen - Reggae Routes (although the cover features Marley)
Roydale Andersons - Reggae Journey
Boss Sounds - by Marc Griffiths
Reggae Going Int'l The Bunny Lee Story
Beth Lesser King Jammy
The Guinness & Virgin Encyclopedia's of Reggae
Reggae Bloodlines (if it's still in print)
Reggae International (ditto)

& theres probably another dozen out there not specificly about the Wailers.

I look forward to reading your Channel One writings, hope you will give us a heads up when it's up :wink:

cheers
j j

I have all of those, plus a load more. I'm not sure there are many reggae books I don't have, other than a handful that are Wailers related which I just couldn't see the point in buying. I've reached Wailers saturation point, especially as I don't listen to them much.

Yes, same doco, the Red X one.

Ringo

Return to General discussion