Vista Sounds & Culture Press

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Vista Sounds & Culture Press

Postby King Timmy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:17 am

Lately I've been digging for LPs on Vista Sound and Culture Press.
I love the sound quality on those LPs, and they released a lot of solid albums and comps.
Most seem to be King Tubby or Bunny Lee productions.
I've noticed that Culture Press records are often licensed from Vista Sounds.
And Vista seems to have a connection with Tad's Records from the US?

Does anybody have some info about these labels? How and when were they established? Who's behind those labels? How are they related? Are they both still active?
Any information is appreciated.
King Timmy

Re: Vista Sounds & Culture Press

Postby j j » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 am

apparently many culture press releases are unautherised resulting in some court cases in france iirc, recently there releases are coming out under the Planet Vibe label.
You may want to do a search here under "Culture Press" or "Vulture Press" , which is the name used by some :wink:

j j
j j

Postby jb welda » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:57 am

enzo hamilton and webster shrowder i believe are the two people behind at least vulture press and also labels like esolden, crocodile (or was it crock o disk?), rhino UK, etc and i think i have read they went back to the vista sounds days. i like a lot of material on vista sounds and back in the mid 80s early 90s esoldun put out a bunch of great rock steady cds and treasure isle releases or compilations of the material. also like you say a lot of bunny lee and eventually bootlegging blood and fire if you believe the stories (i do). so its a mixed bag ethically and many of their releases were substandard soundwise, but others valuable additions to (especially CD) collections. i believe i have heard it is not safe for either of the two principles to travel to JA if thats any indicator.

edit to add: and you will still see those two guys names popping up here and there and everywhere in the fine print of semi to completely dubious releases.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Donovan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:58 am

A few of the early Vista LP's made it onto CD via the sketchy Prestige label. These were the releases with childrens drawings for cover art.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby King Timmy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:09 am

I had no idea Culture Press was/is a shady label.
It looks like those people have been in this shady business for too long, with different label names.
I will read up on the various threads about it, thanks for pointing me in that direction.

So the same goes for Vista Sounds? They are considered to have put out illegal releases as well?
King Timmy

Postby David » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:22 am

Having read quite a bit about culture press on this board over the years, I also believe they did some dubious stuff.

But as usual with copyrights in reggae, the story might be quite complicated. I can imagine, that they legally relesead some stuff on vista. At least people like bunny lee must have given them some tapes at one point. But possibly they kept on rereleasing the stuff over the years (and decades) without having the rights to do so. Probably there were never even real contracts, as nobody in the 80ies would have guessed, that there is goint to be a demand gor that music about 30 years later.

Just a thought...I dont know what really happenend.
David

Postby Ranchie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:50 am

Hi King Timmy,
According to Tighten Up: the History of Reggae in the UK, Vista began operation in 1980 by one Jeffrey Collins, and Culture Press was one of its many subsidiaries. At least in the beginning, the material was legally sourced from Bunny Lee, as well as Jah Thomas, Jah Life, Niney, Linval Thompson, Roy Cousins, Mandingo Williams and Tad Dawkins. The authors mentions Tads specifically, saying that Vista was essentially re-releasing identical albums that already appeared on the Tads label. Also, the mysterious Reggae Masterpieces in Dub sets credited to Roots Rockers, are "actually reissues of dub LPs first released on other labels back in the mid-1970s" according to the authors.

It really is an interesting label, some cheaply re-packaged issues of familiar LPs, but also some great sets that seem to be unique to Vista. The Tubby LP King at the Control and Earl Sixteen's Shining Star come to mind as great albums I return to often.
Ranchie

Postby Mick Sleeper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Culture Press and Rhino UK have put out many a bogus Lee Perry collection, so I learned not to trust either of those labels. Clocktower and Abraham are also pretty dubious - a long and tangled history of putting out stuff that they didn't have the rights to, changed producer credits, song names, etc. Then again, let's not forget that Bunny Lee himself is a crazy hustler and has licensed a lot of his own material to these bogus labels. The most incredible of which is Augustus Pablo Meets Lee Perry at the Black Ark, which features a dog's breakfast of Pablo tunes from various producers and none other than Bunny Lee himself delivering sound boy taunts over the music!
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby King Timmy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Thanks for your answers.
I will stay far away from that Augustus Pablo Meets Lee Perry at the Black Ark album!
On Vista Sounds, I really like the Horace Andy - Showcase album, it blows me away everytime.
King Timmy

Postby Mick Sleeper » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:51 am

But at least check out how ridiculous the Pablo album is! 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKrrDhd47N8
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby j j » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:14 am

yes that Horace is a wicked LP for sure King Timmy :D

j j
j j

Postby YabbyYou » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:04 am

Ranchie wrote:Hi King Timmy,
According to Tighten Up: the History of Reggae in the UK................
But then I've heard that book is riddled with mistakes so I guess we'll never know :?
YabbyYou

Return to General discussion