Michael Prophet - Gunman 12" mix

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Michael Prophet - Gunman 12" mix

Postby beenie bongo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi,

I just happened to realise that the dub version to Michael Prophet's Gunman was credited to Barnabas on the Greensleeves 12" release, while the LP version is credited to Scientist. Always thought that it was a Scientist mix, but does anyone know if it's a mistake from Greensleeves on the 12" or if it's actually Barnabas at the mixing desk?

Thanks for any help
Respect
beenie bongo

Re: Michael Prophet - Gunman 12" mix

Postby shadrach » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Album credits mention Scientist as the recording engineer whereas Barnabas gets credits as the mixing engineer...so maybe the answer is simply: both!
When it comes to mixing style, I think it's nearly impossible to distinguish the styles of either Scientist-Jammy or Barnabas in those days, they all sound similar since they all used the same equipment.
shadrach

Postby beenie bongo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm

shadrach wrote:When it comes to mixing style, I think it's nearly impossible to distinguish the styles of either Scientist-Jammy or Barnabas in those days, they all sound similar since they all used the same equipment.

Agreed, especially on this particular dub where it sounds very much like what Scientist was doing circa the 'Wins The World Cup' release. Thanks for taking the time to answer, I understand both Barnabas and Scientist were working on the album, I guess we won't ever find out whether it was Barnabas or Scientist or both mixing that dub. Anyway, wicked dub still! :mrgreen:
beenie bongo

Postby beenie bongo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Also, as far as I know, this dub is nowhere to be seen on a Scientist Dub LP, perhaps a hint that Barnabas did most of the work on that tune ;)
beenie bongo

Return to General discussion