Studio One Ironsides

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Studio One Ironsides

Postby David » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:05 pm

apparently Soul Jazz records bring a new Studio One collecion in January, see below. Anyone know any details, tunes? From which period is the Iron Side label? Early reggae?

http://www.amazon.de/Studio-One-Ironsid ... 194&sr=1-2
David

Re: Studio One Ironsides

Postby Varese » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:03 pm

1. Mother & Child - Fabian Cooke
2. Mark My Word - Marcia Griffiths
3. I Man A Rasta - Freddie McGregor
4. Natty Ting A Ling - Prince Jazzbo
5. Danger In Your Eyes - The Paragons
6. Reggae Version - Drumbago & The Rebel Group
7. Nanny's Corner - Don Drummond
8. Rasta Don't Stop No One - The Stingers
9. Three Mile Skank - Lone Ranger
10. Another Night - The Soul Sister
11. Come Now Sister - Freddie McGregor
12. Joe Frazier - Dennis Alcapone
13. Soho - The Soul Brothers
14. Can I Change My Mind - Alton Ellis
15. Jealousy, Heartache and Pain - Johnny Osbourne
16. Bongo Red - The Gladiators
17. Jamrec Dub - Pablove Black
18. I'm Still Waiting - Cornel Campbell

Apparently Ironsides refers 'back to a time in the 1960s and 1970s when Dodd was at the height of his powers... had to invent new label names to trick radio DJs... into playing records'
Varese

Postby marmalade » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:58 pm

thanks for the tracklisting, may i ask where you got it from?
marmalade

Postby Varese » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:59 pm

Souljazz.
Varese

Postby jb welda » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:29 am

why would one invent labels to make djs play your music?

nice listing though; looking forward to it

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby litelet » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:43 am

Im really disappointed that they still release very few unreleased songs or mixes. Could be linked with their issue with miss Dodd? Anyway, they did release a few unreleased masterpieces on Studio One roots 2 and I remember Coxsone once said he had enough stuff to release new albums for 100 years.... so gwaaaan! (though not on an "Ironside" compilation, for sure...)
litelet

Postby David » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 am

true, the list doesnt look too exciting: Quite a bit has been available for years now.
David

Postby jb welda » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:04 am

has that prince jazzbo track been around before? thats one that caught my eye.
jb welda

Postby mghifi » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:48 am

I have the Jazzbo on a Studio 1 7"
mghifi

Postby jay-b » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:05 pm

...........never know - Dodd probably liked the US TV program that starred Raymond Burr as Ironside

and to confuse things - most of those sides on this comp didn't come out on Ironsides anyway!
jay-b

Postby crimson flames » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:52 am

Aswel as the title of this comp being a bit random and misleading, considering a lot of these songs werent released on the 'Iron SIde' imprint, Souljazz are repeating themselves a bit with this one. 'Reggae Version - Drumbago & The Rebel Group' has already featured on a SoulJazz compilation, Dub vol.2
crimson flames

Postby King Danny » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:08 am

Is this version of "Nanny's Corner," credited to Don Drummond, exactly the same as "Heaven & Hell", credited to Don Drummond and Roland Alphonso, on Soul Jazz' "studio One Jump Up?"
King Danny

Postby django » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:25 pm

King Danny wrote:Is this version of "Nanny's Corner," credited to Don Drummond, exactly the same as "Heaven & Hell", credited to Don Drummond and Roland Alphonso, on Soul Jazz' "studio One Jump Up?"

I don't know if it's exactly the same as I don't have Jump Up, but it's the same tune at least. I compared the Ironsides track to Juno sound clip of Jump Up
django

Postby ReggaeFire » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:00 pm

I asked this on Pama when the album came out and this is Brian Keyo's response:

"Nanny's Corner" is Ska-dapted from "The Boogie Cha Cha Blues" by Pat Patrick, flautist and saxist for Mongo Santamaria. The title refers to the intersection of Love Lane and Beeston Street in Kingston.
Is fairly easy to identify after checking "Boogie Cha Cha." Soul Jazz apparently was unaware and is not "Nanny's Corner" on Studio One Ironsides. Can't access the link, so unable to tell whether "Roll On Sweet Don" or Heaven And Earth." You can distinguish by solos. Alphonso goes first on "Roll On" with Drummond second. The order is reversed for "Heaven And Earth."

On Heartbeat's Ska Bonanza "Roll On Sweet Don (Heaven And Hell)" does not appear. Track 11, disc 2 plays "Heaven And Earth." "(Heaven And Hell)" is a red herring.

BTW, Soul Jazz isn't the only label to list and not include "Nanny's Corner." They took their cue from Mr. Dodd. On the Don Drummond LP 100 Years After, "Nanny's Corner" is not there, despite being listed on jacket and LP. In its stead, "Heaven And Earth" is repeated.

"Nanny's Corner" is correct as listed on Celebration Time LP and on More Celebration Time CD.
ReggaeFire

Postby London I » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:03 pm

At the time I was a bit disappointed with the low Iron Side content of the Soul Jazz release, so I started thinking about a compilation of my own. I happened to notice that the Iron Side labels seem to be quite carefully numbered, with only a few anomalies. I started paying them a bit more attention and here is what I have observed, as printed on the labels I have seen (there are sometimes slight differences between what is printed on the multicoloured and black-and-white variants):

IS 01: Untraced
IS 02: Untraced
IS 03: Untraced
IS 04: Ethiopia (C. Dodd - C. Brooks) IM & THE INVADERS / Got To Be Cool (No credit) THE CLASSICS
IS 05: Beat Down Babylon (Rights Reserved) FREDDIE McGREGOR / Right Onn Rasta (Scorcher & Brooks) IM & COUNT OSSIE
IS 06: Rocking Machine (Scorcher) PRINCE FRANCIS / Rocking Version (Scorcher) FREDDIE McGREGOR & THE SOUL DEFENDERS
IS 07: Dream Land (Setter) DELLA HUMPHREY / Dream Version (Setter) DELLA HUMPHREY
IS 08: Working On A Groovey Thing (Rights Reserved) ALTON ELLIS / Dis A Candy (L. Marshall) LARRY MARSHALL
IS 09: Sound Almighty (C. Dodd & C. Brooks) THE SOUL DEFENDERS / Meditation (The Cyclones) WITH COUNT OSSIE
IS 010: Joe Frazier (Scorcher) BURNING SPEARS – MORRIS TUFFEST / Version Of Love (Scorcher) UNDERGROUND VEGETABLE
IS 011: Pledging My Love (All Rights Reserved) FREDDIE McGREGOR / Smokin Joe (Scorcher) THE BLACK IVORIES
IS 012: Joe Frazier (Round 2) (Alcapone Scorcher) DENNIS ALCAPONE / Joe Grazer (Scorcher) THE NEW ESTABLISHMENT
IS 013: Rock Fort Rock (Scorcher, Morris Toughest) THE NEW ESTABLISHMENT / God I (Ver.) (Scorcher) KEITH WILSON & THE SOUL DEFENDERS
IS 013: Rock Fort Rock (Scorcher, Morris Toughest) THE NEW ESTABLISHMENT / You'll Never Know (Scorcher) PRINCE FRANCIS & THE MAD LADS
IS 013: Mo Joe Rock Steady (C. Dodd) SOUND DIMENSION / Civilization (Ver.) (Burning Spears) THE BURNING SPEARS
IS 014: How Can You Mend A Broken Heart (Rights Reserved) FREDDIE McGREGOR / Money Generator (C. Dodd) KARL BRYAN & THE AFFROKATS
IS 014: How Can You Mend A Broken Heart (Rights Reserved) FREDDIE McGREGOR / To The Bump (Scorcher) PRINCE FRANCIS
IS 015: Rock Fort Shock (Scorcher) PRINCE FRANCIS / Drunken Sailor (Ver.) (F. McKay) FREDDIE McKAY
IS 016: Jack Johnson (Scorcher) THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN / Seems I’m Losing You (D. Dobson) DOBBY DOBSON
IS 017: Side Walk Doctor (Scorcher) PRINCE FRANCIS / Doctor Ring Ding (Scorcher) THE SKATALITES
IS 018: New Civilization (Burning Spears) THE BURNING SPEARS / Money Generator (C. Dodd) KARL BRYAN & THE AFFROKATS
IS 019: Untraced
IS 020: Hurting Me (A. Ellis) ALTON ELLIS / Skank Corner (Scorcher) KING STITT
IS 021: Apples (Scorcher) PRINCE GARTHIE / Ten Years Ago (Officials) THE OFFICIALS
IS 022: Rain Drops (Scorcher) PRINCE GARTHIE / Jack Ruby (Scorcher) THE SKATALITES
IS 023: Moody Groove (Scorcher Garthie) PRINCE GARTHIE / Love In Our Nation (D. Sibley) DUDLEY SIBLEY
IS 024: Chuky Skank (Scorcher) DILLINGER / I’ll Be There (Scorcher) THE JIVING JUNIORS
IS 025: Let Them Talk (A Greene) DELROY WILLIAMS / Version (Scorcher) SOUL SYSTEM
IS 026: Untraced
IS 027: Kissing (Ver.) (Scorcher) BIG JOE / You Don’t Want Me (C. Dodd) OWEN & MILLIE
IS 028: College Rock (Scorcher) BIG WILLIE / Enie-Meanie-Miney-Mo (Reserved) BASIL GABIDON
IS 029: Get Out Bald Head (Scorcher) BIG JOE / Upsetters Dream (Scorcher) SOUND DIMENSION
IS 030: Rocker’s Party (Pablo & C Dodd) PABLO OF BLACK / Coconut Rock (Scorcher) THE SKATALITES
IS 030: Got To Be A Winner (L. Mitchell) LENNOX MITCHELL / Version A Winner (L. Mitchell & Scorcher) BLACK SCORPIO BAND

There are a few others which I've never seen with a numbered label:

Shocking Version (C.S. Dodd & Johnson) WILD MAN JOHNSON / Right Onn Rasta (Scorcher & Brooks) COUNT OSSIE
Maga Dog (C. Dodd) INVADERS / Fat Dog (R. Richard & Scorcher) ROY & THE INVADERS
Seems I'm Losing You DOBBY DOBSON / Loosing (Ver.) (C. Dodd) DOBBY & SOUND DIMENSION

Needless to say, I'd be quite interested to know if anyone has ever seen labels numbered IS 01, IS 02, IS 03, IS 019 or IS 026.
London I

Next

Return to General discussion