UPDATED Prince Tony Robinson Discography..

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: UPDATED Prince Tony Robinson Discography..

Postby skunkride » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Wow, excellent work JJ. Always thought Groovemaster was a great producer but released too few records, now i see how much i was wrong...love the Groovemaster sound, even when the tune isn't that hot the production always heavy (well during the 70s anyway)
skunkride

Postby hometownhifi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:01 pm

Here's a few additions and corrections

The Front Line JA 12"
Sweet for My Sweet / Delroy Wilson Sweet Sugar Plum Plum / Trinity
Come Home Little Girl / Naggo Morris

Now You Come Running Back / Ken Boothe
A Love Me A Deal With / Prince Muhammad Better known AS GEORGE NOOOKS

Natty Roots / Linval Thompson
Love In The Ghetto / Linval Thompson Ghetto Love / Trinity

Say You / Featuring Hugh Roy & Naggo Morris
Zambia Connection / Prince Tony All Stars

The Front Line JA LP
The Gladiators Proverbial Reggae

TR International LP
Jackie Brown Greatist Hits aka Jah Jah Children

TR Groovemaster LP
Delroy Wilson Greatest Hits

TR Groovemaster 12"
Quiet Place / Ken Boothe
Peace & Love In the Ghetto / U Roy

Who Cares / Brent Dowe & Prince Muhammad
Prince At The Control / Prince Tony

State Line LP
Jah Lloyd The Black Lion The Humble One

I saw on another forum you asked about The Gladiators Black Saturday version on the Gregory / U Roy 12" on The Front Line JA 12". It's vocal was released as Stand Firm / Clinton Fearon (as Tony Fearon) on the Dat Ma Val label produced by L Radway.
I wish Penny Reel would chime in on Chatty Mouth. If I remember correctly, he had some great stories about meeting Prince Tony. I remember a picture he showed me of Prince Tony with a razor blade on a chain around his neck. Sounded like he was a tough fellow.
hometownhifi

Postby j j » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:06 am

many thanks for this info hometownhifi, i haven't actually seen a picture of PTR myself . i wonder if the razor blade was for cutting up lines?? (credit cards were probably not so common back then? :wink: )

Yes forgot about the Jah Lloyd LP which i've recently seen on ebay on the State Line label.
I was having some trouble matching up the different 12" sides so your info is very welcome.

I have updated my master copy & will continue to do so with any further information.
Thanks also for the kind words people.

Best regards

j j
j j

Postby loyaljester » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 am

j j wrote:many thanks for this info hometownhifi, i haven't actually seen a picture of PTR myself . i wonder if the razor blade was for cutting up lines?? (credit cards were probably not so common back then? :wink: )

If you want to see Prince Tony at work in the studio ~1977, check @2:30 into this clip from the classic Roots Rock Reggae documentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM3iLFn4Cww
loyaljester

Postby j j » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:42 am

Excellent loyaljester :D i've got that doco on video cassette but haven't been able to watch it for years as my video player went in the trash years ago when it started eating my tapes :(
I had forgotten that it showed Prince Tony!! Sadly i hadn't forgotten how annoying that dread is who's standing next to PTR in the studio, for some reason i just want to yell at himm to shut the fcuk up :evil:

Hometownhifi in this film you can catch a glimpse of that razor blade on a chain round his neck :) round about 2.49 mins in & again at 3.17.& 3.55 again....damn keep noticing that damn razor :)
cheers
j j
j j

Postby jay-b » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:14 am

I think there's quite a few missing - I'll see what I can come up with - however to start things off i'm not sure whether Trinity's best LP "Shantytown Determination" has been mentioned - my copy is on TR International and credits "Prince Toney Robinson" as producer - also has a sticker for Toneys records 45 Slipe road - on some records the have a reference to "Tony's" records at the same address - no prizes for guessing where the name come from! Arranger is listed as "Vivien Jackson (Yabby-Yu)" who is of course more likley to be responsible for the actual production rather than the mere funding of the venture - I think Tony Robinson was "merely" a label owner/ financier / promoter rather than a hands on producer...
jay-b

Postby j j » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:52 am

Nice one jay-b , would love to see what else can be added, look forwrd to it.

cheers
j j
j j

Postby markp » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:19 pm

Does anyone know why both TR Groovemaster and TR International existed as labels?
markp

Postby ScottiB » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:44 am

I recently bought a blank label 12 inch that I'm trying to find out more about.
It is labeled in pencil Jackie Edwards and TM Groovemaster.
I've identified the tunes as:
A1 - Before The Next ear Drop Falls
A2 - What You Gonna Do
B1 - Pretty Little Blue Bird
B2 - I'm Still Waiting

The Matrix number is TR-001.
I haven't found any TM Groovemaster releases with similar matrix numbers and can't find this listed on Discogs, RKR, Tapir's, Cat 45, etc.

I thought somebody here might know more about this release.

Thanks
ScottiB

Previous

Return to General discussion