Ok, I just don't get it, probably never will

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Ok, I just don't get it, probably never will

Postby riddleithat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:28 pm

and yes, that's a large audience but I just don't get it. And it's not just the lead singer, it's the heavily-contrived band that really puzzles me. Oh gosh, and that one back up singer's voice :shock: :x

Even when they are leading up to the beginning of their first song --- at moment 1:45, a moment that should usually be powerful and exciting, it just flops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYAusnm2 ... creen&NR=1

I've left these guys alone for a long time but a friend mentioned their name last night, [he didn't know much at all about them] so it resparked my attention... Thankfully, in a way, he was laughing just about as much as I was.....

I know there are all kinds of Reggae styles for all kinds of audiences but oh my, I guess...... :? :?
riddleithat

Re: Ok, I just don't get it, probably never will

Postby yms » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:54 pm

For some reason I expected the camera to cut to the audience and there'd be the characters from Friends dancing away.
yms

Postby jb welda » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:29 pm

here i thought you meant the easy star all stars and their latest attempt to "reggaeize" some rock pop pap which we all know will never work.

but certainly groundation is a close second in terms of abomination unto jah.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby richmrpa » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:24 pm

Jesus it's just music. I'm no fan either but they're obviously good musicians.
Love to all
Rich
richmrpa

Postby bassmish » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:43 pm

saw them a couple of times in italy at sunsplash. their trumpet player (I think) was real chronic. and the bass player. drummer. in fact all of them. they were tight.
www.dubconductor.com
bassmish

Postby argonaut » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Each to their own, but I've never understood their massive popularity. When I was at Garance this year, I talked to plenty of folk who missed the likes of Beres Hammond, Freddie McGregor, Johnnie Osbourne etc but when I mentioned I gave Grounation a miss, some folk were very surprised for some reason.
argonaut

Postby underated » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:06 pm

This group has a very loyal fan base.
I must say that just by checking out the video link,they sound original & are not trying to copy anybody.
I guess their fans might listen to some JA artists, so that's a bonus.

I can hear a strong message in the songs,
Not many artists sing about issues in the Middle East ect.

So yeah, laid back sound, message music will always resonate with some people.
Yes more power to this group, they do their own thing & do it well........
underated

Postby Ras Berry » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:36 pm

"I never said you weren't good at what you do, it's just that what you do isn't worth doing"

8)
Ras Berry

Postby addubba » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:58 pm

groundation are a great band, no doubt

of course i never saw them live so can't no how they sound, i am sure the raspy singer voice might sound a bit weak and unexpressive, but if u listen to their studio albums, u listen only to all very well built and rocking riddims with smooth jazzy breaks that helps to get ina relaxed meditation, with lead vocals showing at least charisma (it's brave who try pushes his voice over altough not being particularly gifted by nature) and strong lyrics

surely who boo them surprise me as i believe groundation really made some reallys strong albums, to each his own but please withdraw the abominatin unto jah statement mate, it was a misjudging gag

someone on reggae reviews said : if u never heard them imagine the kind of music bob marley would make today if he was still alive
this is apparent in the album "hebron gate" which i suggest all of u to dig a little, at least for its musical environment
irie all
Last edited by addubba on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
addubba

Postby jb welda » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:51 am

personally i find it to be an overwrought, over intellectualized, over arranged and over thought attempt to sound crucial. and that singer...oh that singer.

still im sure they are fabulous people.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Brimstone » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:37 pm

Greetings.
To be brutally honest Reggae music has come a long way, for better and also for the worst!!!
The audience and participants have grown to such an extent that the world and their mother feel that they can have a stab at it.
On the positive, Reggae has truly gone I.N.T.E.R.N.A.T.I.O.N.A.L but where does one draw the line, in terms of acceptability.
Are Groundation abysmal or are they the future 'saviours' of the genre?
If they have a loyal fan base and selling units is this all the proof we need?
Their message seems conscious, so they can be given some credit for that - compared to all the bleaching, uncle demons and the materialism i have been hearing!
Let us not forget that some groups can sound brilliant on record, using a bit of wizardry and 'not so wonderful' playing live.
Maybe this is the case.
However, the jury is still out!
Brimstone

Postby Brimstone » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:46 pm

And their next album could feature an artist like Junior Reid, or even Damien Marley.
You just never know!
Brimstone

Postby jb welda » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:08 pm

>And their next album could feature an artist like Junior Reid,

why would one really care though, when one could by an album from Jr Reid for example without Groundation?

got to remember them sell marcus for rice and peas. dont let it happen to reggae just for the sake of "moving units". it may have seemed harmless enough at the time but in the end it may mean the ruin of a genre.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby t-woc » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:13 pm

lasted about 60 seconds into first song of that video

painfull
-------------------------
http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?seller=mickalphabet
t-woc

Postby Brimstone » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:23 pm

@jbwelda.
That is true but you have some artists who are more concerned about lining their pockets than maintaining reggae's integrity.
You may buy the 'Junior Reid' album... and find a colloboration with Groundation on it instead.
How painful would that be???
Brimstone

Next

Return to General discussion