Flick Wilson

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Flick Wilson

Postby james19 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:44 pm

Been listening to a bit of Flick and have noticed a few records bare very little resemblance (vocally) to one another.

For instance, the Flick Wilson on 'School Days' sounds very different from that on 'Two Youths Have A Quarrel' and 'Keep The Troubles Down'. Did he alter his style just for this album?....Is it even the same man?
james19

Re: Flick Wilson

Postby Ruffneck » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:11 am

AFAIK Flick Wilson was an alias used by late great singer/musician/studio engineer Ruddy Thomas, meaning you can also include the recordings by Ruddy T. in the comparison. Check some of Ruddy's soul reggae tracks and you can hear the resemblance to the falsetto style singing on School Days. Personally, I think it's Ruddy Thomas all the way.
Since Bond Export recently re-pressed School Days, perhaps RB can confirm?
Ruffneck

Postby RB » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:54 am

"keep the troubles down" is Ruddy Thomas. he did a few tunes in the 70s under the name Flick Wilson. this is before the other, younger Flick Wilson started recording. the one who did "school days" LP and "two youths have a quarrel" are the same guy, who is younger, and is NOT Ruddy Thomas. he can sing in falsetto (as heard on his Jah Life/Junjo LP) and not in falsetto, as heard on 'two youths...' and the prev. unrel. 'ready fe dem' which i put out recently.
their voices are different, but if that's not enough, just look at his picture on the 'school days' LP, then look at a picture of Ruddy Thomas.
we have some more killer Flick Wilson to issue in 2013.
RB

Postby RB » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:55 am

also the dub to 'two youths' is imho one of the top 5 Scientist dubs ever released
RB

Postby Ruffneck » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:33 am

I stand corrected. Their voices are different but I thought perhaps Ruddy Thomas was one of those vocal "chameleons" in reggae. However, the pictures on School Days indeed don't look like Ruddy Thomas (the idea to check the pictures was apparently too complicated for me to come up with myself :oops: :roll:). The confusion over the Flick Wilson name is obviously wide spread, the reference to Ruddy Thomas is mentioned "everywhere", so thanks RB for the clarification.
Now that I know he didn't just go back to being Ruddy T., I wonder what happened to the younger Flick Wilson - he seem to have disappeared after only a handful of recordings made around the same time. Anyway, looking forward to more releases from him.
Ruffneck

Postby Bionic D » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:12 am

any chance of DKR putting out Two Youths Have A Quarrel? this outstanding record certainly deserves to be made available again..
Bionic D

Postby kingj » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 am

Flick is not Ruddy Thomas- and personally I just dont hear it at all. Ruddy has a much better voice, Flicks not so good....
By the way how many say "RUDY" thomas and not "RUDDY" thomas...its suppose to be Ruddy.....what is it Ruddy or Rudy???!!
kingj

Postby ephteeay » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:03 pm

Go Home Son on the Ruddy T label, credited to Rudy Thomas.. so he's probably not sure either..
ephteeay

Postby james19 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Bionic D wrote:any chance of DKR putting out Two Youths Have A Quarrel? this outstanding record certainly deserves to be made available again..

The dub on that is something to behold. Wicked mixing.
james19

Postby jps » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:26 pm

And is that for sure Flick Wilson that did the Slavemaster track on Virgo Stomach labeled as Daddy Culture? It's a wicked track...the flip is nice too.
jps

Postby beenie bongo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:32 am

What about the Slavemaster track on Greensleeves 12" then? Is it Ruddy Thomas or Flick Wilson?
beenie bongo

Postby james19 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:10 pm

beenie bongo wrote:What about the Slavemaster track on Greensleeves 12" then? Is it Ruddy Thomas or Flick Wilson?

That one is the younger Flick. That track appears on 'School Days'.
james19

Postby beenie bongo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks for the heads up, didn't know it was on the LP. Couldn't believe it was Ruddy Thomas singing this one though. Bless
beenie bongo

Return to General discussion