Fao : BBC viewers

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby dots69 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:39 pm

BBC2 @ 7.40 tonite

Lucinda Lambtons Jamaican Adeventure

The historian pursues her fascination for architecture on the island of Jamaica discovering a 17th century underwater city as well as Bob Marleys birthplace and Noel Cowards house.

Though she hardly ‘discovers’ the latter two, im sure their well sign posted :lol:

respect
Dots
worries outernational dublin
dots69

Postby John Eden » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:20 pm

I saw this while I was having me tea and thought it was alright. She is clearly a mentalist, our Lucinda.

Soundtrack was alright as well, not all the obvious tunes.

Good bit about "whistler's walk" a little path outside a big colonial house with fruit trees etc. The slaves had to whistle while they walked along it so the master would know for sure they weren't secretly eating his food.

Marley bit was nice and brief - I guess you have to have that in there, but they kept it short, so fair play...
John Eden

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:09 pm

Saw it too, thought it was quite interesting & showed a different side to Jamaica. I wonder if Lucinda accompanied the camera crew thru the brief walk in the ghetto?
Reggaemusicstore

Postby ian » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:30 pm

Yes, it was an interesting programme.

I liked the bit where they found the ruins of an old slave hospital out in the middle of the forest. It looked extraordinary.

It was also interesting to hear how they've yet to open up this area to tourism as obviously it's not a part of Jamaican history they want to remember, but they did interview one bloke who runs a museum who said he went to the tourist resorts looking for business and came across a competition to see how many people could fit into the swimming pool in one go, and said 'That's what I'm up against!'
ian

Postby Grumpy » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:26 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed this programme which I would almost certainly have missed without your prompt, Dots, so thanks for that.

I hadn't realised (never having visited) just how exrtraordinarily gorgeous a place Jamaica looks (away from the towns).

I liked Lucinda's infectious and enthusiastic enjoyment of the buildings but also I thought her abhorrence of the system that made such buildings possible was palpable and genuine. And I think this informed her feelings of ambiguity about the desirability or otherwise of conserving and restoring those buildings. On the one hand as an enthusiast for the architecture she would like to see it preserved but on the other hand she acknowledged that the slavery that made it possible is not something to be commemorated. Her dilemma about this wasn't rammed down our throats but just emerged naturally from the narrative of her film. Like Dave I found the bit about the whistlers walk particularly moving and the soundtrack was perfect: a brief snatch of Marley singing Redemption song before it faded into the tune being whistled as Lucinda explained the provenance of the name "whistlers walk".

I thought it was a superb hour of television.

En passant. I believe that Lucinda Lambton is one ot the world's leading authorities on the history and design of the lavatory.
Grumpy

Postby dots69 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:34 pm

as above i too enjoyed it immensely, a fascinating insight into the islands troubled history, the fact i know absolutely jack about architecture didnt matter, it was engrossing television nonetheless and its not often that can be said in dis yah times...

respect
Dots
dots69

Postby rez » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:18 pm

Probably hoping against hope in these times of dvd's etc. but did you get it on tape by any chance dots?

Missed your post by a day :(
rez

Postby dots69 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:49 pm

**** rez yu know i did actually tape cause i couldnt watch it saturday but the wife went and taped Ms Marple over it last nite ! doh ! sorry :cry:

respect
Dots
dots69

Return to General discussion