what it costs to start reggae label

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

what it costs to start reggae label

Postby jah_vaults » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:14 pm

can anyone give info on rough costs involved to start reggae record label with few artists. Example of costs for studio, artists and limited vinyl pressing.
jah_vaults

Re: what it costs to start reggae label

Postby rasadam » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:26 pm

along the same lines
what's it cost to do a small run of say 100 7"'s
if you already have the song recorded
thnx
a
rasadam

Postby edgar » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:20 pm

thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby Leo5 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:05 pm

way too much money.

recording studio is anywhere from about 30-50 USD for the cheapies.

artists...well you just never know. the more name brand, the more they charge generally (some exceptions).

mixing - assuming you're not doing it yourself is anywhere from 100 -200 quid for the usual suspects

lacquer + metalwork - about $400 US for a 10"/12"
1000 x color labels a + b is roughly $190 (any less than 1000 and you're paying more per label)
actual pressing is about $1.10 or $1.20 per record (10"/12").
+ shipping the records to you if you can't pick them up.

Ras Adam, you'd probably want to check out Hit Bound or United Record Pressing. 7"s do not make money so i don't have the current pricing on them but i bet the stamper would be about $350, plus costs for labels, plus price per piece pressing. at least hit bound does standard per-piece pricing with no discount or penalty for quantity.

You will find many unexpected costs along the way. Good luck
Leo5

Postby edgar » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Leo5.
you forgot the inner and outer sleeves. can go up to 1 to 2 dollar per record..(depends on how much color you use etc..)
And I know someone who did 2 burning spear specials last year... 500 dollar per cut. Depends per artist and agreement indeed.
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby I Lex » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:10 am

actually inner sleeves are nearly costless (£0.05 each), and usually I get free outer sleeve if I go for the standard one (plain cardboard). dubplate price is definitely a next thing, can't really use that as reference, and burning spear is not exactly the first singer evryone would get for a debut release...
I Lex

Postby Roman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Leo5 wrote:
mixing - assuming you're not doing it yourself

Dougie Conscious can do the mixing and the mastering part for a very good price. Just drop him an e-mail/PM if you want him to mix your tunes.
Roman

Postby Peacemakeya » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:27 pm

How to end up with $1,000,000 in the music business?
Start with $4,000,0000 ... hehehehe

fo real ... anybady who do it for $$$$ in the first place would probably do better opening a sausage factory

still ... good question jah_vaults ... there are veteran baffers here will be glad to help out by p.m.

what i learn with all cultural endeavor ... satisfy yourself first ... any material reward that may come will be icing on the cake & if it no come in this mortal life ... well ... ya still got your mil so don't worry - be happy ... espescially on this day of celebration of jc rising ... brotherman come teach us the victory of life ovah death
Peacemakeya

Postby Jah-Ragga » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:11 am

Ras Joseph from King Alpha Studio can also do any type of mixing and mastering depending on your needs for a suitable price....Dubplate or release... please let me know if you want his details or alternatively check him on facebook - ras joseph or myspace - kingalphasoundsystem.

Bless... and love...
Jah Ragga Sound System
''Roots & Culture''
*OUT-NOW*Jah Ragga/King Alpha - Road Runer &" [DIGITAL CONSCIOUS RECORDS]http://www.facebook.com/jahragga.highpower
jahraggastudio@yahoo.co.uk
Jah-Ragga

Postby DC » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:13 am

Ok some shameless advertising..
I do mixing and mastering too just drop pm for rates.
Also voicing and recording live instrumentation such as horns, percussion, melodica, guitars and such.
http://www.facebook.com/dubcreator
http://www.dubcreator.com for Dubplatesamplers
DC on Itunes, Juno, Rhapsody, spotify, Amazon.
DC Dubplate Downloads @ RMS
DC

Postby finbar » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:59 pm

There is no set cost involved with starting a record label. Just like when you are gambling, you determine how much you are willing to lose in order to have a good time, and don't spend beyond that.
finbar

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:41 pm

How to make a million in the reggae label biz = start out with 2 million
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Inyaki » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Sometimes it feels like there are probably more people on this forum producing, building riddims, pressing tunes, etc..... than actual buyers of records!

Don't forget also the legal side of running a label: taxes, VAT, contracts, ......
Many people don't declare the costs of running a (home) studio or a label, you can operate like that at an underground level in some countries at least, but not everywhere.
Inyaki

Postby Slimmah Sound » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:16 pm

If you want a good mix drop me a message /

I am affordable

** whore mode off again **
www.rootstribe.com
www.facebook.com/rootstribe
Slimmah Sound

Postby blakbeltjonez » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:11 am

Chocolate Soldier wrote:How to make a million in the reggae label biz = start out with 2 million

Choc, that's a variation of the old saying "how do you make a small fortune in the recording industry? start with a large one!"

it's been around for years and is meant to highlight the pitfalls of running a recording studio - most aren't profitable and eventually get sold for pennies on the dollar. a 10% return on investment is doing well.

as many on here know, it applies equally well to running a label! the margin for error is very narrow with small runs - if you are paying for studio time and an engineer, it's very unlikely to show any kind of profit at all and more likely to be a monetary liability.
blakbeltjonez

Return to General discussion