Heavenless question

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Heavenless question

Postby Grumpy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:49 pm

I'm sure this was raised and answered on the old board but, alas, the archive is temporarily hors de combat and I can't remember what the answer was. I have Heavenless on Studio One Scorcher and also on a Studio One discomix compilation (not the Soul Jazz one). On the former it's credited to Don Drummond, on the latter to Don Drummond Junior. I always assumed it was Don Drummond but did Vin Gordon do a recorded version too or is the attribution incorrect? Unfortunately there's no date detailed.
Grumpy

Postby Ekki » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:03 pm

Don Drummond Junior is Vin Gordon and "Heavenless" was recorded by Vin Gordon.
Ekki

Postby Grumpy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:24 pm

Yes, Ekki, but do you know if Don Drummond Senior (if I may temporarily call him that to avoid confusion) did a version because on Studio One Scorcher (Soul Jazz) it says Don Drummond and the Skatalites?
Grumpy

Postby JV » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:43 pm

Don Drummond was hospitalized after murdering his girlfriend in the the new year's day of 1965 and was never released until he died in 1969. Heavenless was recorded in ca. 1968 and the tune clearly represents a style that could never have been recorded in pre-65 times. So you can make your own conclusions from these facts. Heavenless is a Vin Gordon tune and the confusion began when Coxsone included this track as a bonus in late 60's Don Drummond compilation and no real credit was given.
JV

Postby Dagga DJ » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:56 pm

VIN GORDON is definitely the Don Drummond {JR.} that is mentioned whenever "Heavenless" is listed. He has told me and especially another poster on the board{bredda SANG} this is so...no question it's Vin's creation. We'll see if we can't get him{Sang} to elaborate.

Bless-Dagga
Dagga DJ

Postby mike turner » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:13 pm

I met Vin Gordon about ten years ago, and he told me that he wrote the song, saying that he wrote out the charts and brought them in to show to the rest of the guys. He didn't claim any other writing credits and seemed justifiably proud of the tune.
mike turner

Postby Jackie Pablo » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:25 pm

Vin Gordon must be the man!

Question is, why do Studio 1 (and Soul Jazz) continue to credit this one to Don Drummond & The Skatalites (12" stamped). Maybe the company thought the name will help it sell more and no-one will notice (or care?) about who the artist is.................

When the rhythm was re-used by Coxsone for Johnny Osbourne's 'Murderer' the credit went to Johnny & The Skatalites

The same rhythm was used again for Johnny Osbourne's Studio 1 12" 'Unity' - no mention of the Skatalites on that one.
Jackie Pablo

Postby Grumpy » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:50 am

Well that is very definitive then. Thanks everyone for the very detailed answers; hugely appreciated. I shall amend my "Studio One Scorcher" notes accordingly.
Grumpy

Postby Dave Hendley » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:08 am

I think it's the mis-credited 70s disco-mix re-issue that's to blame for all this re-curring confusion as that's the way a lot of peopel are familiar with the tune.
It's UK Studio 1 SO 2078A 'Heaven Less' by Vincent Gordon - released in 1968. Nice Lloyd & Glen on the b side as well.
Dave Hendley

Return to General discussion