Shortman scoops / spkrs

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Shortman scoops / spkrs

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:49 am

Legend? Sound? Bass weight? Discuss?
Chocolate Soldier

Re: Shortman scoops / spkrs

Postby nitz in dub » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Choco Iration use Shortman scoops loaded with turbomax drivers. Certainly in the heavyweight division. The Shortman mini scoop will put alot of full scoops to shame . Check this out http://forum.speakerplans.com/shortmans ... c7821.html
Link a guy called Marvin on speakerplans for these or any info. By the way the official name for shortman speakers is sound barrier.
nitz in dub

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Thnx for that. Interesting stuff.
One h*ll of a funny thread that.
A lot of misinformation/misconceptions about 70's JA production & studios I must add tho'.
Is the idea behind those miniscoops is they are easier to haul around?
Chocolate Soldier

Postby nitz in dub » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Probably , handy if you wanna do a dance and only have a van to haul the gear arround. With full scoops your gonna need a couple of long wheel base vans or a small truck. There are a couple of other speaker builders who do mini scoops like mr Ultimate and A.S.S.
nitz in dub

Postby adrians wall » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:14 pm

Scoops are supposedly some of the heaviest around but aside from the ones Iration have (which supposedly are different internally from the others he made) they havn't really impressed me. We had a chance to play around with both a pair of the full scoops and a single mini at a sound man meet up to find out the best scoop. The full scoop wasn't as heavy as the ASS scoop we also had there or even the old school eminence "wardrobe" scoop from the 80's eminence speaker building book when all 3 were loaded with PD1850. Mini scoop was a serious disappointment, only seemed to play one note and the internals could be heard shaking about inside the box. Had a horrible resonance that sounded like the internal panelling wasn't secured in place properly. We tried them with the PD1850 and the turbomax 1500 and the Fane 1500 and all of them sounded like the box had very little cone control, lots of flapping about and not much pressure being produced. Definite build quality issues with those boxes.

For those who dont know shortman also decided to disappear with a rather large sum in deposits for speakers which he never went onto build. This meant that there are quite a few sounds out there who were supposed to have boxes built by him but all that happened was there money vanished.

You can get reproductions of these scoops from Marvin over at Speakerplans.com as he has the designs and they are now built using CNC techniques and assembled by someone who isn't shortman. He also has his own version of the shortman mini which is actually a couple of inches taller than the original and I believe has slightly different internals to the original mini. I have heard very good things about Marvins scoops but have never had the chance to listen for myself so its only second hand information.
adrians wall

Postby feury » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Kingston dubclub seems to use 4 mini scoops ....

I wonder why they wen´t for mini scoop design instead of a normal scoop
feury

Return to General discussion