Greatest Jamaican Sax Player Pt.1

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Greatest Jamaican Sax Player Pt 1

Tommy McCook
58%
Roland Alphonso
11%
Lester Sterling
No votes
Karl Cannonball Bryan
5%
Val Bennett
No votes
Herman Marquis
5%
Deadly Headley
21%

Total votes : 19

Postby crazydownbeat » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:33 pm

oops :oops: should read:-you're forgiven Gordy
C.D.
Proverbs 10:10 :wink:
crazydownbeat

Postby so nice » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:26 pm

i'm not going to try to pick a best but will say that lester sterling is a badman and tuff trumpet and cornet too.

modern/recent times it's TONY GREENE
so nice

Postby mike turner » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:20 pm

None.

As much as I'm a reggae fanatic, I don't think any of these guys were much more than adequate players, and weren't any better than dozens of guys you could find in any average American city. I like the fire some of them showed in the early days, but their playing clearly atrophied after the ska era died, probably because there wasn't much soloing, mostly just playing figures, and the changes in the later songs were pretty simple.

I had Tommy McCook on my radio show and he told me had just been visiting with one of his Alpha School fellow alumni who had moved to England where he was a jazz player (I forget the name). I asked him if he jammed with the guy, and Tommy said "no, I don't play jazz any more". I asked him why and he said, "because you have to practice".
mike turner

Postby Pluto » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:52 pm

Well, I recently saw the Skatalites on concert (with many of the hornsmen & rest members being now over 60 years old) and although I'm not an expert on jazz-musicianship, they did sound more than decent or adequate with solos being the major parts of each tune. I suppose there's no Miles or Gillespie in reggae, but I think there's more than the 'technical' side of it which makes a musician great and not just good.
Pluto

Previous

Return to General discussion