Junior Murvin Bad Man Posse 12"

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Junior Murvin Bad Man Posse 12"

Postby jps » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:36 am

I have a copy of the Bad Man Posse 12" matrix DATC-D 009"R" and it is Bad Man Posse / Mikey Dread - Badda-badman Style on side A with Smokers Possee - Bad-boy Request on side B. The last 2 minutes on side A are wiched when Mikey comes in.
My question is what is the "R" for on the matrix? Tapirs site has the same tracklisting for this 12" but lists it as just DATCD 009 and strictly-vibes has a different track listing for this record.
http://www.strictly-vibes.com/junior-mu ... t9925.html

Are there 2 different versions of this 12" and was there ever a repress? Also, is this a hard to find record because I have not been able to find much info on this.
jps

Re: Junior Murvin Bad Man Posse 12"

Postby jb welda » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:32 am

i could be wrong but i believe i recall this being reissed a few years ago. i have the original around somewhere but i cant put my finger on it to check the matrix at the moment, sorry.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby edgar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:15 am

''repress''
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby jps » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:48 pm

Thanks guys. I figured the "R" was for repress. Still a wicked record either way. Got it at a used record show and it came in a nice white Dread At The Controls sleeve as well with green printing and a dread on the cover smoking which I hadn't seen before.

How many different DATC 12" records have been repressed? I've seen a few different 7" and 10" over the last few years but not any 12". I would love to see all of the old DATC stuff repressed....some real tuff records and I think pretty hard to find. I just love that Mikey Dread sound.
jps

Postby Tomcat » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:15 pm

This was re released a couple of years ago as a 7 inch on datc through Ernie b.

I have a second hand 12 inch too which I am pretty certain is an original. I will dig it out and see whether the R is on it.

Maybe R for radical or ruff. This tune is solid and the 12 on a sound is lethal

T
Tomcat

Postby jps » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:14 am

Anyone have anymore info on this record? Like Tomcat said, I know the 7" was repressed for Ernie B, but I hadn't seen any DATC 12" records in the last few years. I wish the whole DATC catalogue could get repressed...crucial material.
jps

Postby j j » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:32 am

The one i was hoping for before Mikey Dread passed on was Earl Sixteens _ Reggae Sound LP .Now he's gone probably won't be repressed/issued :( although there's a couple of tracks on Soldier Of Jah Army compilation on Patate.

j j
j j

Postby Tomcat » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:55 am

Jps sorry between houses and this one in the cupboard. Will dig out asap
Tomcat

Postby jps » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:55 pm

No worries Tomcat, thanks for checking.

JJ
I was hoping for that album too, as well as the Master Showcase album. There are also many great 12" records that I wish were repressed.....I really want the Ovations Shy Girl.
jps

Postby Tomcat » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:43 pm

Just went in said cupboard on the offchance Badman Posse was easily accessible. As luck would have it the 12" was the second record in the first bag I looked in!

Matrix no is DATCD-009-A-1 - Badman Posse and DATCD-009-B-1 on the flip - SMOKERS POSSE - RIDDIM REQUEST TO ALL POSSE.

Of note there is no Mikey Dread DJ cut on the A side - it just runs into a heavy dub. Looks as though you have an entirely different release.

The Earl Sixteen album does crop up occassionally for around a tenner so don't give up on that one.

Good luck..

T
Tomcat

Postby zonard » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:32 pm

I have the same copy as you Tomact, no mikey dread and no "R" in the matrix
zonard

Postby jps » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks for checking Tomcat....glad to hear you didn't need to dig too far to find it.

Thats strange because they are definately 2 different records with the same matrix except for the R. Below is a link to the track that I have. It's an extended version with no break....just goes straight to the Mikey Dread DJ version for about the last 2 minutes. It has the dub on the B side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAZiiFzdyMo
jps

Postby leggo rocker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:49 pm

I have both copies. The 'R' probably means 'remix' as the 'R' version is indeed a remix of the original without the 'R' in the catalogue number. Given that the 'R' version has old Jet Star and Rough Trade numbers on it I'm guessing it was released not long after the original. My 'R' copy is in an original style DATC disco bag.
leggo rocker

Postby dan i dubdub » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:05 pm

My copy is on yellow vinyl, also came with original DATC sleeve. |One of my fave 12"s. The Badman Possee album is now also available as a digital download on amazon.
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub

Return to General discussion