Straight from the 70s in Ja Stylee

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Straight from the 70s in Ja Stylee

Postby Martin Campbell » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:03 am

DC wrote:Yes this is very nice to see.... makin your spliff on the multitracktape box. But what did they record to ? is it 2x 1/2 "8 track synced. And 1 mastererecorder i assume.

They recorded to 1/2 inch Ampex 440, although they did have a teac 3340s 1/4 inch 4 track just for echo, it used to sit on that little table by the wall, but Joe hated the sound of it.Later they got the 1/2 inch Studer 4 track ( Balistic Affair was done on that).They would usualy record drums on one, base on two, rythm on three and vocals or horns on track four.But if they needed more tracks then they would bounce to the 2 track and add the vocals.
The API was a 16 input by 8 out with 8 subgroups and a very complex monitoring system.It had 16 550A eq,s with 16 API pre,s based on a 512.It also had a couple of 525 compressors and that famouse tone generator for test tones.It also had a producers desk originaly on the right but changed to the left when they installed the console.
For reverb they started with an old Fisher spring line ( bit like Tubbys )you can hear it on those early Diamonds tracks.
But then around late 75 Joe got a AKG BX10 and that legedary splash on the drums started.
I remember it used to sit under the console, later during the Scientist era Joe got the bigger BX20 with the remote control but I think that sat out in the cutting room.
Martin Campbell

Postby Maarty » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:00 am

Greetings and Respect to you Martin Campbell. Truely one of the great voices in modern roots music.

bless
Maarty

Postby i M@N » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 am

Hello.
Maarty wrote:Greetings and Respect to you Martin Campbell. Truely one of the great voices in modern roots music.

i second that, welcome Martin!

@+...
i M@N

Postby Martin Campbell » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:53 am

Primitive Don wrote:What a great set of photos! Those pics of Tubby's and I-Roy are priceless.

Chocolate Soldier wrote:Interesting pics of Channel One too - this has to be one of the best photos I've ever seen of the console, great perspective - you can really see what a compact desk it was (API 1604 - a total classic)

Pic 35
http://www.itdread.com/img/photoweb/large-32.html

Indeed. What a huge deal it was for Channel One to have the island's first API board, and what a big difference in sound quality.

Not to hijack the thread, but there's a another good image of that API board in an 80s Junjo session in the forthcoming Greensleeves album cover coffee table book (sorry for the bad scan from the Waxpoetics reggae issue, photographer is unknown)

I have some up to date clear pics of the console but I am unable to upload as I keep getting a message that they are too big, if I knew how to make them smaller I would put them up.
Martin Campbell

Postby DC » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:28 am

[quote="Martin Campbell, They recorded to 1/2 inch Ampex 440, although they did have a teac 3340s 1/4 inch 4 track just for echo, it used to sit on that little table by the wall, but Joe hated the sound of it.Later they got the 1/2 inch Studer 4 track ( Balistic Affair was done on that).They would usualy record drums on one, base on two, rythm on three and vocals or horns on track four.But if they needed more tracks then they would bounce to the 2 track and add the vocals.
The API was a 16 input by 8 out with 8 subgroups and a very complex monitoring system.It had 16 550A eq,s with 16 API pre,s based on a 512.It also had a couple of 525 compressors and that famouse tone generator for test tones.It also had a producers desk originaly on the right but changed to the left when they installed the console.
For reverb they started with an old Fisher spring line ( bit like Tubbys )you can hear it on those early Diamonds tracks.
But then around late 75 Joe got a AKG BX10 and that legedary splash on the drums started.
I remember it used to sit under the console, later during the Scientist era Joe got the bigger BX20 with the remote control but I think that sat out in the cutting room.[/quote]

Greets Mr Campbell, very nice to hear the info's from 1st hand, thanx very much. Is that Api console still running good and used by anyone these days ? That console would cost a fortune now. I mean the 550 is highly sought after now.
Also interesting to know that the AKG springs were used. A alwyas thought the AKG's were just too 'clean' for a spring reverb, i mean less springy than the fisher.
http://www.facebook.com/dubcreator
http://www.dubcreator.com for Dubplatesamplers
DC on Itunes, Juno, Rhapsody, spotify, Amazon.
DC Dubplate Downloads @ RMS
DC

Postby roots operator » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Martin Campbell wrote:I have some up to date clear pics of the console but I am unable to upload as I keep getting a message that they are too big, if I knew how to make them smaller I would put them up.

Welcome here Martin !
Try this one : http://www.imageresizer.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------
http://cool-and-deadly.de
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cool-Deadly-Reggae-On-Air/373791072639449
roots operator

Postby Martin Campbell » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:44 am

DC wrote:[quote="Martin Campbell, They recorded to 1/2 inch Ampex 440, although they did have a teac 3340s 1/4 inch 4 track just for echo, it used to sit on that little table by the wall, but Joe hated the sound of it.Later they got the 1/2 inch Studer 4 track ( Balistic Affair was done on that).They would usualy record drums on one, base on two, rythm on three and vocals or horns on track four.But if they needed more tracks then they would bounce to the 2 track and add the vocals.
I remember it used to sit under the console, later during the Scientist era Joe got the bigger BX20 with the remote control but I think that sat out in the cutting room.

Greets Mr Campbell, very nice to hear the info's from 1st hand, thanx very much. Is that Api console still running good and used by anyone these days ? That console would cost a fortune now. I mean the 550 is highly sought after now.
Also interesting to know that the AKG springs were used. A alwyas thought the AKG's were just too 'clean' for a spring reverb, i mean less springy than the fisher.[/quote]

We have not bothered to put power into that old console, indeed when I removed some of the 550,s I had to have them recapped so I would imagine the whole console would need a good going over.It has stood out in Joe,s car port for about 10 years now although it was well covered up.Re the springs, remember Tubby,s could not take any live instruments so allot of thoses springy dubs you hear were all laid in Channel One and then remixed at Tubby,s.
Check allot of the Junjo Laws stuff remixed in Channel and you can hear the AKG allot smoother.
Martin Campbell

Postby RB » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:55 pm

i made a post on our website -
www.digikillerrecords.com
regarding some of the people in these photos.
check it out.
RB

Postby underated » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:32 pm

A very informative & interesting thread, enjoyable reading indeed :)
underated

Postby blakbeltjonez » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:45 am

Chocolate Soldier wrote:Sorry for the lame wiki link people..

Funnily enough I had my hands on an Ampex MM1200 24 track today...

Not operational tho'

These are legendary 'sound' machines, class A circuitry, with a big head 'bump' at 80hz@30ips / 40hz@15ips.

Nice for reggae!

Ch 1 had a 16 track version - even better, more width on the tracks...

handles tape like a tractor.... not the gentlest transport ever designed, and not something you'd want to do tight punch-ins on.... but sounds great, of course.

not surprised the MM-1200 you encountered was non-operational. they can be maintenance pigs, but nice when they are running.
blakbeltjonez

Postby Primitive Don » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:15 pm

I'm a couple months late to the party, but welcome Martin Campbell! Thanks for all your great info about the equipment side of Channel One.

Martin Campbell wrote:But then around late 75 Joe got a AKG BX10 and that legedary splash on the drums started.

I have to say, I'm very surprised to hear Channel One had spring reverb! After having heard an EMT 140 plate reverb in person, I'd always assumed that's what Channel One was using to create that legendary hifi splash during the mixdown. What a revelation to find out it was springs all along!
'Let Jah arise and let his enemies be scattered away' - Barry Brown
Primitive Don

Postby tradesman » Wed May 09, 2012 10:52 am

wicked pictures of golden age of reggae
tradesman

Postby rambo » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:50 pm

stumbled across this clip of Martin Campbell in channel one uk, presumably with some of the aforementioned equipment in this thread. very nice to see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqzSPWKUmz0
rambo

Previous

Return to General discussion