Straight from the 70s in Ja Stylee

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Straight from the 70s in Ja Stylee

Postby zonard » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:37 pm

Werner wrote:it's Crucial Bunny, he's correctly identified on some of the other photos.

That makes sense, thanks Werner, didn't notice that :P
zonard

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:54 pm

Later Ch One pics (80's?) show they had an Ampex MM1200 16 trk and MCI JH110 2 trk

Chocolate Soldier

Postby DC » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:01 pm

Yeah guess your right it 2x 4 track if you look at the input metering too.But i see in the middle also 4 vu units. Or is that in plus out metering in stereo ?
Can't see it from the desk as i don't know the configuration of the console.

Chocolate Soldier wrote:In the pics it looks to me like the recorders are from left to right:

Ampex AG-440 with 4 track electronics/headstack (1/4 or 1/2 inch prolly)
Studer A-80 tape deck with 4 track electronics/headstack (1/4 , 1/2, 1 inch tape?)
Ampex AG-440 1/4 / or 1/2 inch 2 track

All classic killer-sounding decks.

It is possible that the 2 x 4 tracks were run together in sync to make 8. I wonder if they did that?

In the pics when the guy is trancing out mixing it looks like there's reels on all the machines.

On the desk it looks like he's using 6 faders for the mix so could suggest they recorded on 6 channels...
assuming any fx returns aren't going to those faders. Perhaps one of the 4 trks was getting used for tape delay.

(In later Channel One pics it looks like they had an Ampex MM1200 16 track on 2 inch tape. Maybe early 80's era.)

http://www.facebook.com/dubcreator
http://www.dubcreator.com for Dubplatesamplers
DC on Itunes, Juno, Rhapsody, spotify, Amazon.
DC Dubplate Downloads @ RMS
DC

Postby Dub Defector » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:46 pm

going through these again i'm just struck with what a social document this is.. really fantastic and fascinating and captures some very human vibes that allot of other selections don't.. are there more?
Dub Defector

Postby Primitive Don » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:01 am

Here are a couple of modern shots of the Channel One board and 16 track, found on the Martin Campbell MySpace page. Nuff respect to Martin Campbell and Channel One UK. Love his track 'Stumbling Block.'

Ernest and JoJo with Martin Campbell at the original Channel One API console
http://www.myspace.com/channeloneuk/photos/31521694#a=0&i=25335358

Ernest and Martin with the original MCI 16 track
http://www.myspace.com/channeloneuk/photos/31521694#a=0&i=31521694

I suppose in the 70s one of those 4-track decks was for tracks to be mixed at Tubby's studio. Not sure if they synced those together for more tracks or if there was an 8-track elsewhere in the studio.

Love that pic of I-Roy vibin at the console :)
'Let Jah arise and let his enemies be scattered away' - Barry Brown
Primitive Don

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:11 am

!!!!!Where is that studio????

Wow!
Last edited by Chocolate Soldier on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Primitive Don » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:26 am

http://www.myspace.com/channeloneuk/photos/albums/my-photos/31169

That's not entirely clear from reading Martin's page. The photo credits refer to a studio being built in Kingston and show before and after photos - very impressive facility. But it's not clear where the photos of the board and tape machine were taken. Another supposedly shows the original Channel One piano.

http://www.myspace.com/channeloneuk/photos/38650339

Reggaepedia says in 2004 Ernest decided to build a new studio on West Kings House Rd., referring to it as the 'new channel one.' Assuming that's what Martin's photos are showing. (The same article says C1's first 4-track cost $38,000 - I think that's how much the API console cost actually - so I'll take the article with a grain of salt.)

http://reggaelicious.pbworks.com/w/page/8799683/Channel-One
Primitive Don

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:47 am

I wonder if that stuff is even hooked up or what we see is how its stored at Ch 1 mach II?

Prices for professional tape decks and consoles were huge at the time..

Supposedly a pro 24 track deck cost about the same as an average London house back in the day.

$38 grand - imagine what that'd be in 2010 dollars!

Using http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi:

'What cost $38000 in 1976 would cost $141626.72 in 2009'
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Primitive Don » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:54 am

Sure! Having an API and a MCI 16-track was like having a major label studio in LA at that time. $38,000 was a STAGGERING sum. Plus, there's an old Channel One pic showing Billy Boyo and Little Harry, each miked up with a Neumann LDC. As you know, the cost of pro gear adds up quickly!
Primitive Don

Postby jb welda » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:44 am

>In the pics when the guy is trancing out mixing it looks like there's reels on all the machines.

"the guy" is i roy, listening to his own music according to the caption.

really great photos there. its a blessing to have people with the forethought to bring a camera and document goings on.

sometimes they are not appreciated in situ, but then 30 years later youre glad the photographers were on the spot.

ah an edit to add an important photo:

with the caption:

Young Norwegian writer outside Spanish Town

i assume a friend of the photographer! and possibly the reason they move without worrying about their expensive camera gear!

one
jb
jb welda

Postby Werner » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:57 am

jb welda wrote:>In the pics when the guy is trancing out mixing it looks like there's reels on all the machines.

"the guy" is i roy, listening to his own music according to the caption.

this same photo is actually on the back cover of I Roy's Cancer album.
Werner

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Primitive Don wrote:Sure! Having an API and a MCI 16-track was like having a major label studio in LA at that time. $38,000 was a STAGGERING sum. Plus, there's an old Channel One pic showing Billy Boyo and Little Harry, each miked up with a Neumann LDC. As you know, the cost of pro gear adds up quickly!

Absolutely - most people in this day and age of cheap & affordable audio stuff aren't aware the bar was so much higher in the old days, just even with the capital costs of the equipment.

Also because JA is a 3rd World nation & the plentiful pics of Lee Perry's Black Ark 'prosumer' set up, many have the idea the classic old tunes were recorded using tin cans held together with chewing gum - when in fact most of the leading JA studios of the time were purpose built facilities with very high quality equipment in terms of the sonics and build. Maybe 'limited' in terms of channels as compared to the cutting edge of the times but on a whole other level than the typical home studio practitioner of today...

IMO the Channel One drum sound was hyper influential on music production in the 80's and beyond as producers in NYC & London of various styles got exposed to the powerful and up front Ch 1 drum style.
Chocolate Soldier

Postby RB » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:36 pm

those pics of the old Channel 1 gear are not taken at the new studio. those are stored somewhere else, and they are not connected.
there is a massive new board for the studio. but the new studio also intends to be able to run analog tape and most of the original CH1 tape machines are kept for that reason.
i have some photos of the new studio, it's really beautiful, i'm not sure if it's cool to post them but if i can i will.
RB

Postby RB » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:40 pm

actually, martin has one that does it justice -

this is the main room of the new Channel 1...
RB

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Interesting!

Yes it looks like that old stuff is stored as opposed to being hooked up.

Great that they hung onto the old gear.

I would wonder about the condition of the API, how all the pots & switches are doing. JA is a humid place.

It could probably benefit from re-capping as well to regain its earlier sonic glory.

That'd be killer if they'd set up a small ancillary room with the old analogue kit.

Is their plan to launch the new Ch 1 as a commercial enterprise or are they planning to run it as a private facility for their own productions? (Actually how Ch 1 started out in the 1st place)
Chocolate Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion