New Lee Perry Black Ark Dub CD or is It?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

New Lee Perry Black Ark Dub CD or is It?

Postby Karl NZ » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:00 pm

Just noticed the United Reggae site has a listing for a new Dub CD from Lee Perry, Now i for one am a little dubious about the label thats releasing it. It's the Jamaican Recording/Kingston Sounds crowd that are putting this out . Admittedly i havent heard it but from previous experience with some of the dub releases from this company they are not exactly what they are described as on the label. The Eternal Thunder site has the last release of so called Perry dub's from this company in the dubious but listenable catagory. But they have in the last while actualy been releasing some good material but mostly Bunny Lee related items. So i will for one be wanting to read what others think and listen to sound bites before passing any of my hard cash over for this.

Lee Perry - Dub Treasures From The Black Ark/Rare dubs 1976-1978
Jamaican Recordings

1 Lee Perry Covenant Dub
2 Lee Perry Hold Fast Dub
3 Lee Perry Ox Man Dubwise
4 Lee Perry Brake Out Dub
5 Lee Perry Running Dub
6 Lee Perry Dub Them Natty
7 Lee Perry Party Dub
8 Lee Perry Silum Dubbing Mood
9 Lee Perry Fulness Dub
10 Lee Perry Flut In The Ark
11 Lee Perry Culter Dub
12 Lee Perry No Food A Run Dub
13 Lee Perry Baby Talk
14 Lee Perry Bit A Bit Dub
Lick it back man!
Karl NZ

Re: New Lee Perry Black Ark Dub CD or is It?

Postby jb welda » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:05 am

dont know anything about this but i wish when rodigan interviewed bunny lee he had asked about his involvement in these labels and maybe a little tech info like who or why on the sometimes overdubs etc. that would have been interesting to hear strikers take on it.

as for the current subject, hard to tell without hearing it. i really like some of the kingston sounds stuff but not so much the jamaican recordings releases. i had one of those kingston sounds sound system cds in my car player for a couple weeks not long ago and didnt get tired of it.

one
jb
jb welda

Postby Karl NZ » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:04 am

Hey JB,
I have few of these ones myself i quite enjoyed the Kingston sounds Rocksteady CD's of Bunny lee's material and also the 101 Orange street cd but as for the Jamaican Recordings stuff some of the dub Cd's just arent what they say but one i did like was the Soul Syndicate-Channel One 100 tons of dub, wasnt too bad but i am quite dubios about some of the early releases saying King Tubby and to me they dont sound like Tubby mixes at all. Mind i am not an expert just an avid listener. The latest Tubby ones the Re issues are meant to be OK but i have most of these sets anyway.

Take It Easy,
Karl
Lick it back man!
Karl NZ

Postby Karl NZ » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:12 am

Lick it back man!
Karl NZ

Postby Werner » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:19 am

haven't listened to all clips, but the few I listened to are 100% bogus.
(a.o. a few Morwells dubs, given a "Black Ark" treatment by someone)
Werner

Postby skunkride » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:54 pm

Some of the riddims here originate from the Black Ark but the mixing is certainly modern as you can tell by the stereo fx...the guy who mixed it used LOTS of phaser on everything in order to imitate Lee Perry's mixing...some nice sounding tracks but presenting it as rare late 70s Ark mixes is pathetic - same for most of the releases on this label.
skunkride

Postby Mick Sleeper » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:24 pm

Skunkride pretty much summed it up - while many of these rhythms are indeed Black Ark, it's clear that they are more modern mixes crudely trying to imitate Scratch's Black Ark style. I've never trusted Jamaican Recordings since they released Skanking With The Upsetter, another collection of vintage tracks that were messed with and presented as "long lost".
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby Varese » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:44 pm

I'd love to know who actually mixes Jamaican Recordings stuff; some of it ain't bad! A couple of these sound quite fun, like the Heptones dubs, and the Cornell Campbell dub album gets played quite a bit round here.

How lucky is the mixer to be given mastertapes of some of this stuff and be told to get on with it as well? I'd kill for a chance to mix down some of these riddims, and I reckon I'm not the only one around here! I'm guessing the tapes are provided by Bunny Lee. Any ideas for mixing? A mate nominated Gussie P, but I don't hear Gussie's trademark delay anywhere.
Varese

Postby jb welda » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:19 am

varese, those are exactly the sort of questions i would have loved roddy to ask striker. it was a great interview as it was but a part two could be just as interesting.

one
jb
jb welda

Postby Karl NZ » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:08 am

I for one would like it if they just did compilations of un dubbed tracks from Bunny Lee and others this company would be better than some of the skanked up rubbish they have mixed. :shock:
Lick it back man!
Karl NZ

Postby Varese » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:27 am

But they do, Karl; the Kingston Sounds label puts that stuff out, even if a lot of the tunes I suspect are new voicings. The Attack label releases avalanches of older Bunny Lee stuff, if it's 70s/80s you're after. You can't accuse Bunny Lee of being shy of putting his stuff out there!

I'm pretty sure Bunny Lee's mastertapes are mainly unmixed multitrack jobs, so most 'unreleased' stuff would have to have a new mix anyway. While I don't condone putting out albums under other peoples names, it happens quite a lot in reggae; Pressure Sounds have put out a bit of stuff that had nothing to do with it's labelled makers, whether they knew it or not. Examples: Kunte Kinte on the Drum Sound album or a few of the 'dubplates' on that last Lee Perry album. I can understand why Bunny Lee or whoever runs the label decides to put out the albums as 'unreleased Lee Perry' etc rather than 'mixed by my cousins mate inna Catford'...
Varese

Postby mark b » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:00 am

Some footage of bunny lee at his "studio" in ja was shown on that bbc documentary from a couple years back with a teenager mixing down some of the earlier "jamacian recordings" dross.
mark b

Postby Karl NZ » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:58 am

Hey Varese,
I have a few of both of those labels and i dont ever remember hearing a lot of these skanked dubbed stuff on a lot of them. But not being an expert on the subject just an avid listener i could be wrong. But i dont hear the music in its original form on Kingston sounds for the Randy's or Harry J's Dynamic's,Soul syndicstes niney stuff etc..But beside this i have given both the Kingston Sounds and Jamaican Recordings enough of my money and have been let down enough by doing this not to be sucked in again with this obviously FAKE Lee Perry Dub CD some of the tracks are of ARK Origin but clearly been played with by someone other than the Upsetter :x
Lick it back man!
Karl NZ

Postby Mick Sleeper » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:51 am

Although this album has already been "outed" as dubious, here is the review on my Scratch site:

http://www.upsetter.net/scratch/index.htm
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:52 am

I didn't listen to it all but the first ones are definitely not LSP / original Black Ark,
These are modern mixes done in LP's style... gotta love the phaser swoosh.
Its false advertising tho' innit.
I am sure most average buyers would never know & take it for original LSP.
I wonder who did the mixes?
If it were UK or someone in JA.
I know Bunny Lee has, or at least had, his own little studio set up in JA as I passed through there once some years ago - quite humble on the kit side & in one room of a house, with another small vocal/recording room. Most noteworthy was the numerous formats of tape machine on hand - I guess to play back the old tapes. Not at all a flash $$ studio.
My guess is if Bunny Lee is behind these tunes it'd be his guy in JA at his studio since this would be most economical & the tapes nearby.
I could be wrong though & there may still be a UK connection as BL does pass through London regularly.
Chocolate Soldier

Next

Return to General discussion