Who on this board will be the lucky winner?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby papa tenko » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:22 am

Pluto, perhaps I should have avoided to name a particular artist in order to explain my views; I have been involved in many discussions about music in my life and I know that as soon as you say a record is bad somebody is coming up to say it's very good. I made a mistake: as you say, likes and dislikes in music do not belong to the rational sphere as they are strictly related to the sensations music is able to give to each and everyone; indeed I consider essential two kind of records: irrationally, the ones that make me shiver (literally), rationally the one I kept listening and enjoying for a long time. In the end, they tend to coincide. Quite obviously, it doesn't take that what is essential for me is essential for the rest of the world. Only a very few records can reach that status. For instance, Sergent Pepper's is one. But as you said, and I agree, in this case the concept of essentiality is pushed to the limit.

I understand very well what you are saying about reggae being quite formulaic; somebody else on this forum defined reggae as self-referenced, and I find it very true; in no other genre you cand find something like more than two hundreds tunes based on the same bass line in a 25 years span (Heavenless riddim, for instance); and this is related to the peculiarity of reggae I mentioned in my previous post, that is based more on harmony than on melody; in other words, more on the vibe that on the tune. What I was trying to say, and what I am saying now, without mentioning any artist in particular, is that if you strip a lot of reggae tunes of their reggae vibe and pulse, you end up with a high percentage of lowly tunes: if you leave it there, they work. I don't know if it's clear, but it's the best I can do: english is not my own language.

Just one thing more about what can be defined essential in reggae: one parameter is time of release: perhaps "set new standards" or "redefine a genre" is just too much, but would you rate the same record in the same way if it was released in 1995 rather than in 1978?
no one but you and I say the bells of Prince Far I
papa tenko

Previous

Return to General discussion