Leggo Dub

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Leggo Dub

Postby Jonathan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:50 am

I am a big fan of dub but not a big fan of albums with added sound effects like Mikey Dread's African Anthem and Joe Gibbs African Dub 3 and 4.

I've heard that this new Hot Pot label is re-releasing Trevor Douglas' Leggo Dub on CD -- a few samples I heard recently had added sound effects a la Joe Gibbs: toilets, cars, etc.

Can anyone tell me if ALL the tracks have these added sound effects or just some? The rhythms underneath these effects were wicked, so, at least to my ears, it was a shame.

How do people feel about this anyway? To my ears, these added sound effects are like drawing graffiti over the "sonic picture" created by the musicians and the engineer.

Dub is essentially the art of adding by taking away so, it seems to me at least, that it is one of the last musical forms that needs something added to it -- never mind random, unmusical sound effects.
Jonathan

Postby Pug » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:03 am

I think most of the tracks (maybe 8/10) have sound effects, some more than others. I'll agree with you, they certainly do take away from the tracks... a shame, they are definetly wicked rhythms!
Pug

Postby Anonymous » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:47 am

Sounded great back then, sounds a bit naff now, but as you say, great rhythms.
Rob
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:48 am

For an mp3, go to http://www.discemail.fsnet.co.uk/discs.htm and scroll down.
Anonymous

Postby informer » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:29 am

it's still not sure whether this album will be released on hot pot.
(i hope it will ...)

also "Crucial dub" could be a possible release later this year.

so long enjoy "earthquake dub" ..........
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby skunkride » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:57 am

Never been bothered by the sound fx on this set. Excellent dub album, it's about time someone would reissue it !
skunkride

Postby Ringo » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:23 am

You have to be in the mood for Leggo Dub. If you want to hear the rhythms flow the effects can be a bit distracting, but if you crank it up really loud and want to hear something quite extreme it works. I've got more into it over the years, and it's especially good if you love the Gregory LP.
Ringo

Postby Jonathan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:35 pm

Thanks for the info. I just listened to that sample of "get ready version" and it sounds alright to me. The effects were pretty sparce and mixed way to the back.

I'm really curious about the dub of Keith Hudson's "don't think about me" rhythm that's supposed to be on this LP. Anyone know if it's a dub of the original rhythm track or a dub of a revolutionaries take on the rhythm? Kind of hoping it was a revolutionaries update...

Also, the Rough Guide says that only six of the tracks are from Mr. Isaacs. Then there's Rod Taylors Every Little Thing and the Don't Think About Me track. Anyone know what vocals the other tracks are taken from?
Jonathan

Postby JV » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:39 pm

Doberman Skank is great with its arfing and woofing blood hounds in the background. It's my dogs' favourite tune too. It's good to have albums like this while I thank the lord all albums are not like this. It's good to have variety of sounds rather than all done in the same way, isn't it?
Btw, Keith Hudson track is the original Keith Hudson track's dub, verbatim, not re-cut.
JV

Postby Dubac » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:00 pm

Jonathan,

I haven't much to add on the sum of knowledge about these albums, but I noticed your comments likening the sound effects on the Joe Gibbs dub LPs to graffitti being scrawled over the efforts of the engineers.

As far as I know, Errol Thompson was 'The Engineer' on these groundbreaking African Dub albums, and I'm told he personally stood in the toilet with a microphone to capture the flushing sound and was out on the street recording traffic noises.

So I'm not doubting your taste - if you don't like that stuff then fair enough, it's your opinion. I too sometimes find additional/external sounds occasionally irritating.

But those albums haven't been hijacked and distorted by anyone. Joe Gibbs and Errol T owned the music and they presented it how they wanted - at that time and to that audience.

--
Dubac

Postby Jonathan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:46 pm

I suppose the graffiti analogy was more directed at the African Anthem set, which I understand was mixed by Jammy in JA and then overdubbed with effects and jingles by Mikey Dread in England.

However, it is also my understanding that it was Joe Gibbs that urged Errol Thompson to add those sound effects to the African Dub 3 and 4 sets.

Errol Thompson's extraordinary dubs elsewhere (Randy's dub, Jack Ruby b-sides, etc.) are effect-free, as are African Dub 1 + 2, which contain IMHO far superior mixes, despite the lack of recorded sound effects.

I suppose it's all a matter of taste. Every hoe got im sticka bush.
Jonathan

Postby Dubac » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:02 am

Jonathan wrote:Errol Thompson's extraordinary dubs elsewhere (Randy's dub, Jack Ruby b-sides, etc.) are effect-free, as are African Dub 1 + 2, which contain IMHO far superior mixes, despite the lack of recorded sound effects.

I suppose it's all a matter of taste. Every hoe got im sticka bush.

Yes, I'm certainly not advocating the (over-)use of sound effects as my grumbling and whining in last week's 'Under Heavy Manners' thread show.

I too prefer the first couple of volumes of 'African Dub', though it's only the fourth one that I tend to stay clear of. Chapter 3 was an interesting experiment and it played a big part in helping expand the appreciation of the music in the late 1970s - at least in my part of the UK.

But ironically you've just reminded me of Errol T dubs with sound effects that I do like! The versions of Lloyd Parks' 'Ordinary Man' rhythm - two of which can be found on the B&F Randys set - are absolute classics!

And wasn't 'Majestic Dub' a Joe Gibbs/Errol T collaboration from the same period as the African series? I've never heard that one. Does anyone know if it's effects-laden, or what rhythms are on there?

Dubac

--
Dubac

Postby Anonymous » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:18 am

Dubac
Just listened to Majestic Dub for the first time for a long time, and it doesn't have the sound-effects that Leggo Dub has.
What it does have is a lot of synthy noises overlaid on most tracks - probably sounded ahead of its time back then, just sounds cheesy now.
Not a bad set, but fairly easy listening, and its hard to remember why I liked it so much, over 20 years ago.
The sleeve encourages the listener to 'Join the Joe Gibbs Record Club' by writing to Errol Thompson at 24 Retirement Cres, Kingston, enclosing a photo of self.
Rob
Anonymous

Return to General discussion