Recent finds?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Recent finds?

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:47 pm

Best of Tony Tuff on Vista Records. After picking up Flabba Holt's awesome Roots Radics Dub album a couple of weeks ago, I had to go searching for the vocals! Two great sets.
Reggie Love

Postby minidub » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:10 pm

nice one reggie.

on the topic of vocals & versions, i've had 2 great scores recently.

the first is scoring two copies (one from jamaica and one from japan) of ras haughton's "black bombo", a tune i have treasured since i first heard it over 20 years ago on a 2CD comp called "a celebration to the 100th birthday of h.i.m. emperor haile selassie I. i have never seen a vinyl copy of this tune, on 7" or LP-- but somehow managed to find 2 copies in about a month -- so vocal to version will be happening; the version side is just killer.

i couldn't feel more musically blessed, and i will be gifting a friend soon with one of the copies. he's the only other person i know of who is familiar with the tune and loves it like i do.

i also finally scored a very clean copy of the shades' "who you gonna run to"; i've had a copy of the dj version from king kouchi "run come hide" for several years now and have just been waiting for a clean copy i could afford. yay, it happened.

more music, more music!
m.
minidub

Postby flashman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:48 am

Reggie Love wrote:Best of Tony Tuff on Vista Records. After picking up Flabba Holt's awesome Roots Radics Dub album a couple of weeks ago, I had to go searching for the vocals! Two great sets.

Ha ha, I did the same thing! I also have Ranking Joe - Dub it in a Dance on Trojan, which isn't track for track the same riddims, but quite a few, including one of my favorites of the Tony Tuff set, Good Times.
flashman

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:04 am

Cheers for the info, Flashman. Seems like I will need to check out the Ranking Joe for a part three on the riddims!
Reggie Love

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:44 am

Conroy Smith - Dangerous 12". (Redman International)

I first heard this on the Ranking Miss P Show in 88 and didn't know where to get it. In 89 it turned up on a homemade compilation tape I bought at Glastonbury. In 2002 it finally showed up on Cd. Inbetween times Nigel Benn came out to it when he fought against Eubank. Yesterday I saw the 12 inch in my local record shop and of course I had to add it to the collection. A big tune this - the epitome of boasty soundboy lyrics from Conroy on a bed of hard digital rhythm laid by dancehall masters, Steely and Cleevie. And a wobbly bassline heavy enough to churn your guts like a rollercoaster on the right system. Tell them Conroy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIagtrRqL2s
Reggie Love

Postby soul rebel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:35 am

Happy because I recently got a copy of a 7" I've been looking for.

The Soulites - Love Me Tonight / Botheration (Bamboo BAM28 1970)

Great double sider from Brentford Road!

(According to RKR it's actually Destroyers on A and Meditators on B)
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Postby soul rebel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:40 am

Also finally got my hands on my most wanted ska 7",

Roland Alphonso & The Soul Brothers - From Russia With Love / Cleopatra (Doctor Bird DB 1010 1966)

Wasn't cheap, but these tunes are amazing, especially Cleopatra...!
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Postby j j » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:32 am

Reggae George - Three Wicked Men - Yvonnes Special 12"

On-U Sound Presents Reggae Archive Vol 2. CD
j j

Postby Ital Dokta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Found an original JA press (blue & white Studio One label) of the Swing Easy various artists comp the other day at my local thrift store. Sandwiched right there between Streisand and Andy Gibb records, utterly gobsmacked!
Ital Dokta

Postby jah_vaults » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:57 pm

Midnight rock presents Johnny Osbourne Bobby Melody Sings Roots and culture
Attachments
WIN_20171016_225620.JPG
Midnight rock presents Johnny Osbourne Bobby Melody Sings Roots and culture
WIN_20171016_225620.JPG (147.86 KiB) Viewed 561 times
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby j j » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:20 am

mORWELLS - cOOL rUNNINGS - bUSHAYS lp
j j

Previous

Return to General discussion