Using this Forum..How do new posts/messages show ?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Using this Forum..How do new posts/messages show ?

Postby Sis. Ali » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:22 pm

Hey peeps, well been having a little shufty round here and a couple of questions from techno-backward me...

I see the 'guide' at the bottom has a symbol for "new posts" and "No new posts"...however they don't seem to be working, all mine are marked "no new posts" even though when I check them this evening there have been new replies to them ?
What is the "Sticky" symbol for ? Is that to keep a post at the top and how do you use it ?
Do new posts bubble to the top, or those with new replies ?

Think thats it for now !
I'll get there in the end :D

Love
Sis. Ali

Postby Sis. Ali » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:25 pm

Oooh, also, how do you read your private messages as I can see I've had one and go into it, but I can only see who its from, but where do you click to read the message ?

Fanks !!!! :?
Sis. Ali

Postby Grumpy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:45 pm

To read the message in your private message, click on the message title, Sis. There's a round blob, then the message title, then who it's from - click on the message title to read it.
Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:49 pm

Checking again, I see the round blob is called flag, the message title is called subject. Click on the text your correspondent has used as the subject in order to read your message.
Grumpy

Postby Sis. Ali » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:54 pm

Thanks Grumpy.

See you had posted a reply to this thread but it hadn't been flagged up as a "New post" ?
Sis. Ali

Postby Ital Dokta » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:09 am

That's odd that new posts are not showing up for you Sis...I had the same thing visiting the new board before I registered, every thread would say no new posts despite obvious activity since my last visit. Once I registered and began posting, the threads were sorted according to "new posts", "no new posts" etc. with the "sticky" threads at the top, so I don't know why it shouldn't work the same for you, are your cookies enabled (no not the chocolate chip kind :) )

I don't know if I like the new "bubbling" feature that everyone was clamouring for on the old board, it seems like a lot of threads are getting buried under the daily avalanche of new posts after only a few hours, never to be seen by human eyes again :(
Ital Dokta

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:03 am

I've had quite a few problems with the forum lately. Sometimes the new messages don't get marked read, no matter how often I peep them. Logging out and loggin in again helped a couple of times but once when I did that, I resulted in everything being marked 'read'... Also, I keep getting logged out on a regular basis (every 1-1½ hours or so), even though I stay logged on on the other boards I read.
Anonymous

Postby James » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:01 am

I find it very hard to tell if there are any New Posts - they rarely seem to flash or change on my screen. I also find the way they keep 'bubbling up' confusing and much harder to keep track of threads in general...
James

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:08 am

Got kicked off again and now all the posts are marked 'read' again. I'm off for now, too much stuff to keep the track of, and the bloody board keeps confusing me even more. **** it.
Anonymous

Postby tim p » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:29 am

I'm glad to say I don't have any of these problems on either of the two computers I use (which is no use to Sis Ali, James or Rootzilla of course...).

If it's any help (which it probably isn't) the cookie that should be governing this kind of thing seems to be called phpbb2mysql_data if your computer is refusing this then you've no chance of being recognised and having the threads marked read/not read for you.
tim p

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:49 am

My problem is more elusive, as sometimes the threads are marked read, sometimes not. It works for a while, then it doesn't and I have to either log off and log on again or 'mark all read', both of which are potentially confusing. With the amount of stuff going on on the board it's just hopeless...
Anonymous

Postby Ade » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:57 am

Grumpy wrote:To read the message in your private message, click on the message title, Sis. There's a round blob, then the message title, then who it's from - click on the message title to read it.

I think there may be a slight "glitch" in this area as well. I tried to read a private message yesterday morning by doing this, but nothing happened. I then re-tried later in the day and it was fine.
Ade

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:03 pm

The whole board was working very unreliably yesterday - so unreliably in fact that I was unable to post for most of the day.
Anonymous

Postby Natty Rajah » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:42 pm

The main thing with the newly posted on threads moving to the top is this:

Old board - you want to know something about Keith Hudson. You post a thread, and if you're lucky you get a link posted to an old Keith Hudson thread (which probably itself contains a link to an old Keith Hudson thread, potentially ad infinitum). If you're less lucky you just get a load of replies saying "oh no, not Keith Hudson again"... in any case, you probably give up, because it's too much hassle to keep on digging down through older messages to see if there's anything about Keith Hudson.

New board - you want to know something about Keith Hudson. You use the easy search facility to find the existing Keith Hudson thread (if there isn't one you start one). You post on it, and it goes back up to the top. People see it and reply to it. The next person who wants to ask the same question finds your thread and finds the answer to it without having to dig through all the old messages, and all the posts about Keith Hudson can be kept in one easy-to-find thread because it comes back to the top every time someone posts about Keith Hudson...

If it works like it should, i think the new way is definitely preferable...

Hope that answered that question ;)
Natty Rajah

Postby Sis. Ali » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:41 pm

Thanks for the help fellas....seems its not just me then..

Just makes it a bit hard to keep up to date.
I find I'm not reading all the posts meticulously as I used to before...just those that sound like they might be interesting..as I can't keep track with what's new or what I've read before.

Bob if your reading this, can anything be done, or is it down to an individuals computer ? :cry:

Love
Sis. Ali

Next

Return to General discussion