Vinyl addiction

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Vinyl addiction

Postby Mark T » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:23 pm

Women are of course important, my beloved wife of 27 years has put up with my record/cd collecting for all those years - though she knows generally not to buy for me as I have fairly specific wants. :D
A friendly neighbour, father of my friends kids, who deals in audio bought over a brand new set of Wharfedale Evo 2-8's for me to borrow over the Xmas period. He's willing to sell them for $250 which is a bit if a steal I might not be able to refuse. Beautiful looking as - my wife is as well!
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Roman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:11 am

Sounds good Mark T :lol:
Roman

Postby crimson flames » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:13 pm

we are all lightweights really, check this guy out. Largest vinyl collection in the world
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
http://vimeo.com/1546186
crimson flames

Postby capullo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:26 am

listen to sputnik brown. i hear what he's saying....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t7u4CGZyjQ
capullo

Postby Apostle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:31 pm

All very recognizable feelings here. I think it's fair to call it what it is, it's an addiction. I quit smoking but this is a lot harder to shake off...
And yes, buying online can make you forget how much you're spending. Why else do I regularly feel guilty about the fact that I put too much money in records and that I simply can't shake the urge to hunt vinyl?
Although it's never just buying records that gives me a bad feeling, it's looking at bad stuff that never got played or that I'm tired off. That's why I go through the stack regularly and sell what I don't play or don't need to a friend who sells record to sponsor his sound. Guess I could get more of my money back when I would put them on eBay but then it would still be time-absorbing and I just can't bother too much.
Another good tool to stay conscious of what I'm actually spending is to make an excel-file with name+price of everything I ever bought. First time I started doing that, the total sum kept me out of my sleep before I was even half way through :lol:
Some people here say they will have 'enough' when they reach 5000 7 inches, must say I never have such a number in mind. I find it rather important to know what you have and make sure you really like it and play it...I guess everybody collects because he's a DJ, or do some people collect just for the joy of having the records?
Apostle

Postby edgar » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:45 pm

crimson flames wrote:we are all lightweights really, check this guy out. Largest vinyl collection in the world
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
http://vimeo.com/1546186

except he got tons of stuff for free and he owned his own record shop. Ordered 10 items, sold 9 in his store and kept 1 copy of everything for himself. Not like he paid 10 grand for a rare rolling stones record..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record-Rama
and if you are selling for 5 million dollar worth of records every year.. think about the amount of records that are kept by himself..
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby capullo » Wed May 29, 2013 4:35 pm

8 weeks without buying any vinyl and i feel good :D
capullo

Postby Mark T » Wed May 29, 2013 5:11 pm

And what prompted you to give up/take a break from buying vinyl Capullo? (Though I suppose the title of the thread may give a clue).
Mark T
Mark T

Postby capullo » Wed May 29, 2013 5:30 pm

well, good question mark. nothing special really. i was on vacation for 5 weeks and when i came back 2 weeks ago i just didn't pick up my addictive habit again. being a vinyl addict is all good but only as long as one can appreciate all the stuff coming in. i really enjoy listening all the stuff i collected over the years these days and that is a wonderful feeling still. might be back on track soon but if not it's all good still, haha.
capullo

Postby Mark T » Wed May 29, 2013 6:26 pm

That makes sense, if we are not enjoying what we have there isn't much point in buying more.
Now this thread is sitting right next to the Recent Finds thread - which is kind of ironic!
Keep enjoying music - that's the main thing, I can't imagine my life without music. :D
Mark T
Mark T

Previous

Return to General discussion