Soul Jazz Studio One Discomix... Good God!

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Soul Jazz Studio One Discomix... Good God!

Postby Maceo » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:08 am

What a monster. Heavy, heavy, heavy.

I can't get enough of that stuff. Not having collected any 12"s but familiar with a lot of the original Studio One sounds, I was floored. I almost cried when I heard Willie Williams' "Armagideon Time - Version". Play it loud and what a vibe. When's volume 2 coming out? I know there are many who aren't into the syndrums, but those mixes take things to a whole different level.

Anyone know who played those syndrums?!
Maceo

Postby giab » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:09 am

wasn't me !!!!!
giab

Postby DrSuperlove » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:14 am

you can buy heartbeat's studio one discomix albums while you wait for vol. 2

anyone else having problems playing the last two tracks on this cd?
DrSuperlove

Postby skunkride » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:34 am

Yep those Heartbeat releases are great !

"Rare Reggae Grooves From Studio One", "Studio One Showcase Volume 1" & "Nice Up The Dance: Best Studio One Discomixes" are all essential
skunkride

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:07 am

<Anyone know who played those syndrums?!>

Horsemouth? Just a guess
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Ital Dokta » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:15 pm

Just picked this up on the weekend, it actually made it to stores here fairly quickly (Soul Jazz distribution has definitely improved here over the last couple of years). Haven't had a chance to give it a spin yet but I'm familiar with a couple of the tunes on there already, looks like a wicked (if not strictly discomix, from what I hear) release. Will report back on any playing problems...I think there was some mention of this on the old board.
Ital Dokta

Postby skunkride » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:44 pm

I think that S1 Funk suffered from some playing troubles...buy vinyl ! :)
skunkride

Re: Soul Jazz Studio One Discomix... Good God!

Postby His_Imperial_Measurements » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:41 pm

"Anyone know who played those syndrums?!"

I thought it was Dreaddie McFregor. He was doing pretty much everything else at about that time.

Inchpinchers.
His_Imperial_Measurements

Postby Grumpy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:38 pm

Re trouble with Discomix. The CD of it I bought plays "Shaft" (the first track) OK but then goes barmy. It crashes my computer on track 2 and on my ghetto blaster thingy sounds like the Chipmunks speeded then starts bouncing all over the place. Have been meaning to send it back to Soul Jazz but it's another on my bottomless list of things to do
Grumpy

Postby greedypuppy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:45 pm

Why is there no version to Judah Eskender tafari's cut??
Is it just me or could Soul Jazz have made sure all the tracks are extended mixes? :?:
greedypuppy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:53 pm

When I was talking about my problems with the Soul Jazz release, I was actually talking about the "Funk" release, not the Discomix one which plays fine, though quite a few tracks are not discomixes - the Ethiopian one for example is less than three minutes and is only the vocal cut.
Grumpy

Postby Downbeat Special » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:22 pm

DrSuperlove wrote:you can buy heartbeat's studio one discomix albums while you wait for vol. 2

anyone else having problems playing the last two tracks on this cd?

Hi Brian,

Surely it can't be just you and me having trouble playing the last couple of tracks? My second copy arrived from Soul Jazz yesterday, and that skips just as badly!

Rob
Downbeat Special

Postby DrSuperlove » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:12 am

Grumpy wrote:Re trouble with Discomix. The CD of it I bought plays "Shaft" (the first track) OK but then goes barmy. It crashes my computer on track 2 and on my ghetto blaster thingy sounds like the Chipmunks speeded then starts bouncing all over the place. Have been meaning to send it back to Soul Jazz but it's another on my bottomless list of things to do

don't bother to have it replaced, mate, i've tried 3 copies and rob's tried 2, none of them plays the last 2 tracks on any of our players but it did play in the local Replay so it's not a universal problem

for those that keep score: vinyl 1 - compact disc 0 :D
DrSuperlove

A Possible Solution To The Skipping

Postby richteratmosphere » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:57 am

On some CDs of mine that skip hopelessly, if I use my computer burner to burn a copy, the copy plays fine. Maybe, give that a try for the skipping Studio One CDs...
richteratmosphere

Postby Ital Dokta » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:59 am

I've tried that method with skipping or otherwise problematical cdr's and it is often effective, with the new copy working perfectly. Haven't tried it on an actual CD though, because I seldom have problems with them (though two B&F CD's to date have been guilty of containing skipping or unreadable tracks).

HOWEVER...the last track on the S1 Discomixes does seem to have some serious skipping problems (the second last track by Sugar Minott plays fine). I will have to try it on some different players or try to burn a new copy.

No problems at all with the Studio One Funk disc which I was just listening to the other evening...
Ital Dokta

Next

Return to General discussion