Ras Imru - Marshall riddim question

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby Danai » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:52 am

You are correct Tweeter - marshall dub cuts were a sign off standard for shaka around 80' - 81' .
I bought some cuts from same connection as Shaka - Kingsley(keyboard - black brothers) couple of raw mixes on same ridim as the shaka 12". i also got hold of a single cut of the alternative marshall riddim - as per shaka's 'guidance and protection' cuts - rather tame in comparison to shaka's. i'm pretty certain he cut his own from tape - bad cuts for true. There is a 1980 Shaka - coxsone session at Brixton town hall doing the rounds which features shaka signing off with marshall - i think reggaemusicstore stocks this session.
The Brimstone and Fire cut is in fact a dub plate mix of the released marshall version.
Reason shaka don't release marshall again is due to ownership.
Danai

Postby _NattY_ » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:04 pm

nice to know...thank for the infos!
_NattY_

Postby tweeter box » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:44 am

ChrisRoots wrote:Well..these 'Guidance & Protection' marshall dub cuts are on Tony Benjamins and Steve's list of Shaka's 100 Killer Dub Plates so definitely not released.... :(

plenty tunes on that list are released :wink:

Danai wrote:You are correct Tweeter - marshall dub cuts were a sign off standard for shaka around 80' - 81' .
I bought some cuts from same connection as Shaka - Kingsley(keyboard - black brothers) couple of raw mixes on same ridim as the shaka 12". i also got hold of a single cut of the alternative marshall riddim - as per shaka's 'guidance and protection' cuts - rather tame in comparison to shaka's. i'm pretty certain he cut his own from tape - bad cuts for true. There is a 1980 Shaka - coxsone session at Brixton town hall doing the rounds which features shaka signing off with marshall - i think reggaemusicstore stocks this session.
The Brimstone and Fire cut is in fact a dub plate mix of the released marshall version.
Reason shaka don't release marshall again is due to ownership.

anybody have a clip of this tune in live session?
"your style is unorthodox but effective, it is not the art but the combat that you enjoy"
tweeter box

Re: Ras Imru - Marshall riddim question

Postby michael » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:08 pm

soo.......has anyone heard/know where one could hear 'guidance and protection' by the black brothers..cheers, marshall and the newer version of it is one of my faves
michael

Postby Skyjuice » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:05 pm

Skyjuice

Postby Vinnie » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:44 pm

woow yea definitly

ive heard a different cut of the first he plays
one with piano which is already heavyweight but this one is even ruffer
ofcourse shakastyle! he always gets the best cuts
Vinnie

Previous