HOW TO PRODUCE OLD SKOOL TUNES? (vintage style)

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: HOW TO PRODUCE OLD SKOOL TUNES? (vintage style)

Postby dougie conscious » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:49 pm

jammys had a studiomaster desk,very cheap
dougie conscious

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:19 pm

excellent board ID-ing Dougie - Studiomaster it is...

You can probably find them around for 10 pounds.

Definitely nowhere near a single molecule of the league of professional desks.

I don't doubt that it could provide some lofi distortion & grunge that could appeal with the electronic keyboards etc.

Obviously Jammy's set up worked & sounded great for the productions they were doing, but it was definitely equipped with lofi budget gear of the time.

I bet trying to do a Channel One-style full band recording there with acoustic drums would have sounded awful & tinny like DIY 80's punk rock

Chocolate Soldier

Postby MightyZion » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 pm

dougie conscious wrote:jammys had a studiomaster desk,very cheap

hehehe wrong assumption from my side, thought it must be something special :), much of the gear from even earlier times is at price, many of valve pre-amps and compressors has design that even modernized versions could not get to.

So, what do you think he didn't use any outboard to enrich the sound, mastering? straight into tape, mix down and finished.

Great Old Master must to say, some people have top studios gear and never achieved such a recognition, not even saying about influence on music gander in general.

P
MightyZion

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:32 pm

MightyZion wrote:Yes, Chocolate Soldier. I don't know the gera list of Prince Jammy studio, but I know, that some of the pieces of equipment from this time are still in price, I am sure that even channel strip from his mixing desk is a piece of electronics worth attention, with design solutions and quality of work unusual in today's budget studios.
Anyway, in those times, companies like UA, Neve, Amek, were putting out some gear which with no big changes in design still sales at the good price. I don't know, if at the time this equipment was expansive, I suppose it was, but I don't know, how high was the price relatively in those times.

P

Btw - welcome to the forum MightyZion!

Fwiw - Universal Audio was founded by Bill Putnam and they made a modular desk in the 60's & some outboard equipment like compressor/limiters, EQ, hipass/lopass filters in the 1960. Associated brands were Urei & Teletronix. He sold off the company in the 80's and the 'Universal Audio' trademark was revived later by his sons, making some modern reissues like the classic LA2A & 1176 compressor/limiter, 'new' units and DSP plugins/hardware.

Aside from Jammy's studio & the Black Ark which were outfitted with 'semi-pro' gear (though LP had a Soundcraft series II desk known for a wicked EQ) - the other classic studios of the day in JA had high quality consoles many of which are perceived as classic today - the pinnacle of desk quality.
EG:
Channel One - API 1604
Harry J - Helios
Randy's - Helios
Joe Gibbs - Sound Techniques
Studio One - Electrodyne (maybe)

Back in the day people used their console, ears, mics, room etc to achieve the sound with minimal outboard. The whole outboard mic pre thing began in the 80's allegedly with the advent of thin-sounding MCI 500 & 600 series consoles - producers & engineers started to bring along their fave outboard pres. Then it turned into a craze in the '00s with everyone being obsessed with different 'colours' and mixtured of outboard pres. In the old days there was just one 'colour' - the desk in the studio.
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:37 pm

MightyZion wrote:
dougie conscious wrote:jammys had a studiomaster desk,very cheap

So, what do you think he didn't use any outboard to enrich the sound, mastering? straight into tape, mix down and finished.

P

I am certain with the Jammy's studio digital stuff - they recorded to tape (non-professional deck) , mixed it & took the tune off to be cut as a dubplate or 45.

Simple, direct, no messing about, no 3rd party mastering, no running the mix through some bit of outboard equipment.

Maybe some eq tweaking or peak limiting was done while cutting to vinyl at times - but more than likely a straight 1:1 transfer at high levels.
Last edited by Chocolate Soldier on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chocolate Soldier

Postby dougie conscious » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:38 pm

cheap boards cheap keyboards ghetto music,
my second desk was a studiomaster,cost me £500 second hand i think chazbo still has it somewhere,
point is reggae has allways sounded cheap but to me that was part of the appeal raw music produced on a shoestring budget
but with great vibes,
dougie conscious

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:40 pm

dougie conscious wrote:cheap boards cheap keyboards ghetto music,
my second desk was a studiomaster,cost me £500 second hand i think chazbo still has it somewhere,
point is reggae has allways sounded cheap but to me that was part of the appeal raw music produced on a shoestring budget
but with great vibes,

Right on Dougie - vibes win everytime.
Chocolate Soldier

Postby dougie conscious » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:43 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNFsdHr_ImQ

rumour has it while in the uk jammy swapped the rights to the dub lp ina lion dub style for a mixer,
dougie conscious

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:52 pm

Wow - fascinating documentary, I hadn't seen it yet,
Just watched all 10 parts.
Thnx for the link!
Very very interesting...
Chocolate Soldier

Postby MightyZion » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:08 am

dougie conscious wrote:cheap boards cheap keyboards ghetto music,
but with great vibes,

I see it wasn't that cheap, it has to be a bit of money at the time :)

That's the point there will be no good music even at top studios, if the vibe is not there.

Going back to what I have said, this is not a bad idea to put sound of some 8 bit synth or drum machine through some good gear, even using some plug-ins will do the job. I use some old Roland sound module and drum machine, record audio loop and then VST maximizer or compressor and EQ, you can see the difference from the original sound, but still it has this vintage vibe.

Blessed Regards

P
MightyZion

Postby Junior » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:59 am

It's easy to recreate a similar vibe using modern digital sequenzing programs like ableton live. It's all about using your ears.
Junior

Postby dougie conscious » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:18 pm

I dont think its that easy,
dougie conscious

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:01 pm

I agree - the old machines forced the operator to think in a certain way, with a set amount of choices.
When it comes to old analog drum machines & even the early MPC's some certainly have a vibe not only in sound & user interface but also the internal clock.
Someone I know who worked a lot with old analog synths once described to me the feeling they had when they 1st got Logic Audio - they felt depressed & uninspired being confronted with an 'empty' screen to fill...
Compare the blank screen effect to the hands-on vibe working with say the Techno workhorse TR909 & TB303

Chocolate Soldier

Re:

Postby guillaumebougard » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:37 am

DC wrote:For instance drum programming. I've heard many programmed drums where you can hear a hihat in 16th going on while there's a big drumroll goin as well. A drummer won't program that as he knows it's physically impossible on a drumkit. As also the feel in velocity.

Well, I beg to differ on this. Sly, for one, enjoys working with drum machines because it enables him to program stuff he would be unable to play on a drumkit. He even told me his dream is to play like a machine... I hope he was sarcastic there!
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Re: Re:

Postby Slimmah Sound » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:43 am

guillaumebougard wrote:
DC wrote:For instance drum programming. I've heard many programmed drums where you can hear a hihat in 16th going on while there's a big drumroll goin as well. A drummer won't program that as he knows it's physically impossible on a drumkit. As also the feel in velocity.

Well, I beg to differ on this. Sly, for one, enjoys working with drum machines because it enables him to program stuff he would be unable to play on a drumkit. He even told me his dream is to play like a machine... I hope he was sarcastic there!

Interesting to hear this Guillaume.

Nice thread peeps!
www.rootstribe.com
www.facebook.com/rootstribe
Slimmah Sound

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion