HOW TO PRODUCE OLD SKOOL TUNES? (vintage style)

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby steve rice » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:32 pm

I'll explain to you the "higher principle" involved

for a man to make music on say a trombone he first has to master the instrument learn how to pitch a note how to shape his lips and when to push air..it is not easy.. then learn through practise how to play with others..it takes dedication and commitment to do that...years of that.Some people would take that as an admirable thing to do..then he must further learn his craft to take his influences and put them into his own expression..that also takes time.
A man can get a computer to do most of those things in a very short space of time..that is why some people argue against computerised music and think that the more orthodox way is preferable and has some higher principles involved.
What you might call old fashioned values and outdated nonsense still have some appeal to people.When we hear Rollie or Tommy blow on a tune we know we are listening top a man who gave his life and soul to music and we can hear it come through..we therefore hold that to have more value than a pretty much computerised tune
every Saturday morning from 10 till noon
downbeat melody show
www.passionradiobristol.com

live it up!
steve rice

Postby Dub-Tribulation » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Interesting discussion fi sure!

The popularity of the old DX series have grown the last years and can sometimes be hard to get hold of, but there is another solution also.

There is synth VSTi's (FM8 for example) that can handle the ROM's (sysex) from the Yamaha DX series cause the these keyboards are old FM synths, so that means that u dont need to buy a DX100.

But i personally would rather go for the real hardware DX100, so let me know if someone is selling one :wink:

Here you have a link for some more info about the ROM's
http://www.thedx7.co.uk/

And here is info about the FM8
http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=fm7_us
Dub-Tribulation

Postby munky lee » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:41 pm

DC wrote:It definatly make a difference.. programmed by a musician or not.
For instance drum programming. I've heard many programmed drums where you can hear a hihat in 16th going on while there's a big drumroll goin as well. A drummer won't program that as he knows it's physically impossible on a drumkit. As also the feel in velocity.

what's the problem in it?
as long you assume using electronic drum machines, what's the problem if a real drummer cant do it for real? cause it is not a real drum, it is a drum machine!

mat
munky lee

Postby Roman » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:43 pm

DC wrote:I've heard many programmed drums where you can hear a hihat in 16th going on while there's a big drumroll goin as well. A drummer won't program that as he knows it's physically impossible on a drumkit.

I've laso heard it many times, DC. "No Bed Of Roses" by Dub Syndicate feat Cedric Myton is a good example...
Roman

Postby Junior » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:12 pm

@ Steve

Well, you obviously prefer analogue music. I think that's a different discussion.

I think the discussion is about whether or not the computer should be viewed as an instrument like any other. In my opinion the computer is an instrument.
And making music on a computer is just as much a challenge as playing trombone in a band. The rules are a bit different, yes, but assuming that you can create a good riddim by pressing two buttons, leaning back and letting the computer do the rest is basically a myth.

Sure, when you get experienced, you can create good music on a computer in a very short amount of time and without doing much, but then lots of great reggae riddims by Sly & Robbie has been made in one take without rehearsing. So, that all comes down to experience and skills. Which it should.

That you prefer the 'live' feel of a band compared to the stiff and cold feel of a computer is fair enough. I'm not gonna argue against that. But claiming that learning to play the trombone is much more of a challenge than creating great sounding music on a computer is IMO ludicrous.

Maybe you don't have to learn the whole communication aspect of playing in a band, but then you have to create all the instruments on the computer plus handle all the individual sounds to the smallest detail, control and understand the meaning of eq, create and develop the patterns, master, learn when to use a compressor and when not to, how to make the reverb sound right, controlling filters etc. You have to handle so many other aspects of the music creation process that normally wouldn't rest on the individual band member.

I seriously can't see how one can claim that there's something less admirable about mastering these skills than learning how to play the trombone. It makes no sense to me.
Junior

Postby Axis » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:49 pm

Computers are good at maths, but are rubbish at 'feelings'.
<a href="http://www.axissound.co.uk@>www.axissound.co.uk</a>
Axis

Postby warriorsteppas » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:51 pm

system failure wrote:I think this VST is pretty cool for digi sound - and free!
Its modelled after the Yamaha CS01
http://rekkerd.org/pethu-releases-hahah ... nd-cs01ii/

I went to this link and downaloaded the folder but i don't understand on what program to use to run this?
myspace.com/warriorsteppa
myspace.com/tidnrecords
warriorsteppas

Postby Dub-Tribulation » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:47 pm

warriorsteppas wrote:
I went to this link and downaloaded the folder but i don't understand on what program to use to run this?

After that you have downloaded the file, you have to put the files that are inside the zip file in your VST folder. (for example, C:\Program\Steinberg\Cubase\VSTplugins\)

You can't use VSTi if you are using Reason....but u can rewire reason to cubase and use the Yamaha CS 01 VST that way.

Fore more info how you rewire reason to cubase check this site
http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/offcuts ... pdates.htm

Hope this sheds some light

One love
Dub-Tribulation

Postby bossrootz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:02 pm

there is good music and bad music produced by boths camps i believe. prodigy =just messing about with computers, busted =live musicians!!!ummmm. also i been playing the drums for 15 years, am not ****!!, but i program drums on reason and it sounds awful!! it takes skills and knowledge to get anything to sound good. hahaha sly is probably crap if you give him a digeridoo!!! i just listen to juniors riddim they sound ruff star! blessed
bossrootz

Postby DC » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:29 am

munky lee wrote:
DC wrote:It definatly make a difference.. programmed by a musician or not.
For instance drum programming. I've heard many programmed drums where you can hear a hihat in 16th going on while there's a big drumroll goin as well. A drummer won't program that as he knows it's physically impossible on a drumkit. As also the feel in velocity.

what's the problem in it?
as long you assume using electronic drum machines, what's the problem if a real drummer cant do it for real? cause it is not a real drum, it is a drum machine!

mat

I don't say it's a problem. I only say that's the difference between a drummer programming and a non drummer programming.

As for the dub syndicate tune and more of their tunes. Lots of times Dub Syndicate play along with a sampled loop wich Alon Adiri is playing on his keys and Style Scott play along with it on a drumkit.
http://www.facebook.com/dubcreator
http://www.dubcreator.com for Dubplatesamplers
DC on Itunes, Juno, Rhapsody, spotify, Amazon.
DC Dubplate Downloads @ RMS
DC

Postby Roman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:32 am

DC wrote:As for the dub syndicate tune and more of their tunes. Lots of times Dub Syndicate play along with a sampled loop wich Alon Adiri is playing on his keys and Style Scott play along with it on a drumkit.

Thank you for the info, DC. Just another little offtopic question: D' u know where I can find the dub version of "No Bed Of Roses"?
Roman

Postby tweeter box » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:45 am

time machine might also help :lol:
"your style is unorthodox but effective, it is not the art but the combat that you enjoy"
tweeter box

Postby t-woc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:45 pm

Axis wrote:Computers are good at maths, but are rubbish at 'feelings'.

COMPUTERS HAVE FEELINGS TOO
-------------------------
http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?seller=mickalphabet
t-woc

Postby t-woc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:46 pm

hey i just went out for a cup of tea and that was posted from my login somehow, whoah!!
-------------------------
http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?seller=mickalphabet
t-woc

Postby Junior » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:03 pm

t-woc wrote:hey i just went out for a cup of tea and that was posted from my login somehow, whoah!!

and it was posted 1 minute before you came back...?

:roll:
Junior

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion