HOW TO PRODUCE OLD SKOOL TUNES? (vintage style)

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: HOW TO PRODUCE OLD SKOOL TUNES? (vintage style)

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:28 pm

Abusive? Lol..well, I hope Russ doesn't take it that way,

I don't mean to imply there's anything wrong with 'ITB' - I just mean mixing in the box, in the computer.
I would think external controllers & some outboard FX would still constitute ITB?

Fwiw - I did one mainly 'ITB' project (mixed 'stems' on the desk) so far - 'Riddim Clash' with DJ Spooky.
To my amazement someone actually did point out on this or some other forum they noticed a difference in the sound, apparently more hard & brittle.

I love the analog machines, tape & 'big knob' equipment but working 'ITB' has some appeal right now as the space, upkeep required is a hassle & adds up with the full analog system. Moving it is a nightmare.

Slimmah's ITB tunes sound warm to these ears...

ITB is the way of the future..
Chocolate Soldier

Postby massada » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:40 pm

well abusive might not be the right word :? should have tried in french maybe lol

i was not intending you said there is something wrong with ITB mixing anyway , my point was more that by ITB mixing you can consider everything is ITB ... FX and EQ s included , all connected to controllers ... my opinion is that you won t get the same result .
https://soundcloud.com/massadub
massada

Postby Slimmah Sound » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:17 pm

Chocolate Soldier wrote:Slimmah - is the studio a PC, mic & some outboard controllers?

Yes Choco, before I made the switch to the mac it was more or less.. Just started to upgrade the equipment a little bit like I said earlier, but all the released stuff so far has been ITB-mixed on a very old (and sometimes very unstable) but still trustworthy PC that was my workstation for almost 10 years.

I have a Mackie desk that I used as a pre-amp for the mic and sometimes for some feedback things but the main mix was coming from inside the PC.

While we are on this subject, I have not yet found soft-synths or modules that perform as well and heavy as hardware versions though, so the sounds have always been synths and keyboards mixed with live instruments.
www.rootstribe.com
www.facebook.com/rootstribe
Slimmah Sound

Re:

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:49 am

Just reposting this insightful comment from earlier in the thread for posterity:

Junior wrote:Yes, using the word "non-commercial" in relation to reggae and dancehall is basically a complete fallacy.
There's no way you can ever comprehend Jamaican music through European middle class, counter culture concepts like 'non-commercial', anti-mainstream etc. Those concepts make no sense whatsoever when it comes to reggae.
Maybe if you're into punkmusic, applying these words may will reveal some sort of meaning, but in a developing country like Jamaica such luxuries as taking a 'non-commercial' stance are basically products of abundance and welfare, which is very rare on the island.
Almost every dancehall tune is an attempt to make a hit. 99.9 % fail miserably, but that does not qualify the music as non-commercial.
Chocolate Soldier

Postby monkeystyle » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:37 pm

But then again...

I read a lot of the early dancehall wasn't played on the radio waves in Jamaica because of the lyrical content. Obviously the artist did know that some tunes might not be played on radio stations although they would be popular with the crowd in the dance.

I just re saw Rockers and in the movie you see inner circle play reggae at a uptown restaurant. At one of the tables a couple discuss that "hey! this is not calypso!". Later in the movie Clint Eastwood and Horsemouth does the famous takeover. Although I agree that in Jamaica you can't really apply the same talk of underground or non-commercial there is definitely an awareness of what is uptown and establishment and what is non-establishment from the ghetto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryvLFzEMHGc
monkeystyle

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:47 pm

Not sure if JA radio ever reflected local tastes & productions - Mikey Dread's show & some recent stations notwithstanding.

Uptown -> downtown - major disconnect
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:14 am

Tip from Augustus Pablo - team up with Jah Rastafari/Haile Selassie as co-producer on your tunes
Chocolate Soldier

Postby FitZ » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:53 pm

As Barry issac mention "Inspired by Jah"...
Gangunguru Hi-Fi since 1998
FitZ

Postby RB » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Chocolate Soldier wrote:Tip from Augustus Pablo - team up with Jah Rastafari/Haile Selassie as co-producer on your tunes

true, his majesty a the wickedest producer!!!
RB

Postby Leo5 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:24 pm

RB wrote:
Chocolate Soldier wrote:Tip from Augustus Pablo - team up with Jah Rastafari/Haile Selassie as co-producer on your tunes

true, his majesty a the wickedest producer!!!

Ok, i feel like someone should cue the King Earthquake speech (or alternatively Keety Roots' new tune would do equally well) about the correct usage of wicked/bad, etc

All of that notwithstanding, it is indeed the truest of the true. It's a mystical thing and you are quickly made aware of that fact when you head off into the wild blue yonder prouducing tunes. A wise man would go with the producer of the universe to handle his tunes, innit? And if you don't go to the producer of the universe, He still controls your tunes anyway! So that's the production plan to go with.

FitZ wrote:As Barry issac mention "Inspired by Jah"...

any mention of Barry Isaac & i just have to go :mrgreen: 8) . Large up Barry I.
Leo5

Postby RB » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:37 pm

Leo5 wrote:Ok, i feel like someone should cue the King Earthquake speech (or alternatively Keety Roots' new tune would do equally well) about the correct usage of wicked/bad, etc

disclaimer:
all patois posts are firmly tongue in cheek, please pardon my 'American' usage of the term wicked, unacceptable by UK standards i take it from your post. :lol:
RB

Postby soul rebel » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:20 pm

I know I'm going to get cussed out for even suggesting this,

but why not try to create something new, instead of trying to recreate a sound from the past?
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Postby Speed » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:09 pm

I know I'm going to get cussed out for even suggesting this,

but why not try to create something new, instead of trying to recreate a sound from the past?

This is what I am trying to do:
I am trying to produce old school DUB with new STEPPERS

... I call it DubStep, interested?
Speed

Postby Junior » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:42 pm

soul rebel wrote:I know I'm going to get cussed out for even suggesting this,

When you're trying to recreate some old stuff, you usually fail miserably and wound up making something completely new. I think that was basically what happened in most of reggae history. Sitting down with a blank sheet trying to invent something new is rarely the way to go. I for one don't like the clear and polished sound of computer music, and I just want to make it sound more dirty, simple and dry. Learning what they did right in the 80's is IMO a very good idea. It's not about making retro music. But more about trying to find a good computer sound.
Junior

Postby CHRIS RIDDIM » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:13 pm

RB wrote:disclaimer:
all patois posts are firmly tongue in cheek, please pardon my 'American' usage of the term wicked, unacceptable by UK standards i take it from your post. :lol:

Personally I consider it a form of 'terrorism', but I was more offended by

RB wrote:true, his majesty a the wickedest producer!!!

his majesty IS the wickedest producer
CHRIS RIDDIM

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion