Next Soul Jazz is...

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Next Soul Jazz is...

Postby Moses » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:09 pm

Sugar Minott at Studio One!

No tracklistings yet I think.
Moses

Postby ian » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:41 pm

Yep sounds good. I heard that it'll be similar to the Burning Spear comp in that it'll be a collection of his 7"s etc. with clean sound (hopefully!)

Due out in January....
ian

Postby Ekki » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:42 pm

Excellent news!
Ekki

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:32 pm

[color=cyan]While we're on Soul Jazz I haven't seen any thing on the St1 Discomix compilation, except something in one of the glossy monthly music comics which suggested it wasn't very good - any opinions?
Rob
[/color]
Anonymous

Postby Mark T » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:36 pm

Sugar Minott on Studio One would be great. I must say that I really like all the studio One stuff that he has done (at least that which I've heard) while I never seem to enjoy his output on other labels nearly as much. That voice and those riddims just seem made for each other - a good combination.
Mark T.
Mark T

Postby skunkride » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:04 pm

Same here Mark T - just picked the Live Loving set & although i usually don't dig Minott's music this set is excellent - his best by far imho.
skunkride

Postby Fargo » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:05 pm

Only thing that matches it is the stuff he did with The African Brothers imo
Fargo

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:13 pm

I hope it includes non-album cuts such as "Love And Understanding" and "Give Me Jah Jah".

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Mark T » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:19 am

I am yet to hear Live Loving Skunkride - though I want to. Not easily available around here so i will save up enough for a worthwhile Ernie order. Some of the 7" stuff would be great as well.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Anonymous » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:16 am

oh yes! a nice one, for sure. i too would like to see them put together the earlier singles on the winro label with the best of his lps for coxsone (though i suspect this will omit some big tunes, not enough room!) i can only think of one tune from "live loving" and "showcase" that i could do without. have only heard one or two tunes from the "more sugar" lp.

would love a freddie mcgregor treatment after this!, complete with uncompiled singles and discomixes!!
Anonymous

Postby Ital Dokta » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:42 am

Sounds like a great release from Soul Jazz - and a good choice, Sugar Minott's S1 output has been pretty neglected in the reissue bonanza of the last years. Think the only album on S1 I have yet to hear by him is the Showcase set. I actually find Sugar's tunes kind of hit and miss and I have kind of the opposite reaction to his style of songs as I do to most singers, that is the rootsier stuff kind of leaves me cold but his lover's tunes more often than not hit just the right spot for me...go figure...
Ital Dokta

Return to General discussion