Charlie Chaplin, Sturgav live 1984

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Charlie Chaplin, Sturgav live 1984

Postby Dadi Digi » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:31 am

Just got this LP from ebay yesterday. Pure quality from Charlie round the mic for 50 odd mins. A great set on a label called "Dancehall Vibes". Inspector Willie doing the the selecting. Whats extra cool is that you get about 5 Studio 1 versions dropped by Willie with Charlie riding them with an exceptionally good tone a voice. My best scoop now in a while, mind you I paid a little over budget for it. :P
Dadi Digi

Postby Fish » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:14 am

Digi, do you know whether this is the same 1984ish Charlie Chaplin/Inspector Willie session that was released on Tamoki Wambesi? Starts off with College Rock, Throw Me Corn, the Sugar Belly cut to Cuss Cuss, then some rhythm I don't know with Chaplin delivering a "Daily News" lyric, and quite a bit more that I won't transcribe . . . sound familiar at all? (the Tamoki Wambesi CD version is over an hour long, so it's possible that the two start in different places).
What about the half that's never been told?
Fish

Postby Dadi Digi » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:51 am

Yeap Fishy, that is the very same set looking at your description. That Sugar Belly cut is wicked btw.
Dadi Digi

Postby Fish » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:00 am

Agreed, it's one killer tune. I thought about getting Sugar Belly's S1 LP after hearing it, but then I saw Juha slag it off on his website - anybody know whether the Cuss Cuss rhythm tune is on the LP?

If you're interested in hearing 20 minutes more of the session, I think the Tamoki Wambesi CD release is still in print. Great sound quality, too - this session has always been a favorite of mine as it was the first Stur Gav session I ever listened to, and the vibes from Chaplin are killer. Have to say I rate him as much as or more than Josey, although Josey seems to be considered the bigger star . . .
Fish

why doesnt the subject stay here???

Postby jb welda » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:07 am

i always thought the tw cd was longer because it had some gratuitous studio tracks thrown in the middle of the session, no? seems to me from memory that the recording quality and ambience changed drastically for them as if they were mastered in when the cd was mastered, straight from the tw catalogue. i thought it totally interrupted the flow of the set...probably as much as flipping over the original LP did.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Fish » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:33 am

Yeah, I remember it having some sound-quality changes and some things that sounded like cuts, and definately some tracks sound more "studio" than others, but it never occured to me that they would have spliced it up like that . . . I'll give it a listen when I get home and check it out.
Fish

Postby Fish » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:06 am

Yeah, I listened to it again, and it's quite strange - there are a few tracks where it starts with a live recording, which fades out after a couple of seconds and is replaced by a studio recording. Very weird.
Fish

Return to General discussion