Broken 78

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Broken 78

Postby Jaz » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:22 pm

Greetings all

I'm hoping for a bit of advice here...

I've recently acquired two 78s on the Kalypso label. The first, has Lord Tanamo & The Jamaica Calypsonians 'Waltzing Matilda' on one side and 'Christmas Time' by Count Lasher, Lord Tanamo and The Jamaica Calypsonians on the other (Kalypso RL16). It's intact but very scruffy and dirty. The second is 'Bo Bo Man' / 'Rock and Roll Calypso' by Lord Melody and The Caribbean All Stars (Kalypso XX14). Sadly this one has snapped right across the run-off groove at the edge of the label.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to clean shellac (I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't use alcohol on it)? And if anyone can think of a way that I might get one good play out of the broken disc (it's a very clean break) I'd love to hear it. I thought about sticking it back together with Superglue, but only across the run-off area where it wouldn't matter if some of the glue squeezed out.

Also if you've heard these records, please let me know - I don't even know if they're any good!

Thanks

Jaz
Jaz

Postby Professor Mushtaq » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:37 pm

Waltzing Matilda's a dead-set, dinki-di, fair dinkum, classic sport. I was curious about this when I heard about a mento re-working of Australia's national song. I asked Mike from the Mento Music site about it, let him know it wasn't a South African folk song, and he was kind enough to send me an Mp3 of it. I love it. I'm very curious to know how the song travelled to JA - anyone know?
Lawless Street - The finest in Reggae, Ska & Dub. 2RRR 88.5fm Thursday 4 - 6pm
Professor Mushtaq

Postby Mark C » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:18 pm

Hi Jaz

Cleaning 78's: use warm soapy water, you can use something like an old battered toothbrush: remember originally these were played with a heavy head and steel needles.

Repiars, you coudld try mounting the broken one on another 78, only trouble is you may only be a ble to play one side..

BTW, what do you usew to pplay 78's on?

Mark C
Mark C

Postby Jaz » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:29 pm

Hi Mark

I have a friend with an old (circa mid-70s) Technics turntable pulled from a radio studio that plays 78s. I can't remember the model number - I can find out if you're interested. If I can get these into a playable state I'll record them straight into Cool Edit Pro.

Jaz
Jaz

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:35 am

My Garrard 401 deck (60's, 70's?) has 78 speed as well as 33 & 45..

Probably most old TTs have that feature
Chocolate Soldier

Postby radio wansmaak » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:37 am

jaz,
you will also need a special needle for 78 rpm records.
because the grooves are much wider.
for example
http://www.shure.com/phono/m78s.asp
radio wansmaak

Postby rez » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:44 pm

I've played some of my da's old 78's (he's a bit of a relic) on a vestax turntable (alot of them have a 78 speed setting) with a normal stanton head and it worked ok. Sound quality wasn't great but I couldn't tell you if this was cos of the needle/cart used or just cos of the crusty old records!
rez

Postby Mr B » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:04 pm

Yes if your transcribing 78's you should aim for a dedicated cartridge as mentioned above and also a pre-amplifier that can playback the necessary equalisation response (for accuracy). Graham Slee makes such a phono stage; http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/preamps/jazzclub.htm. More information about who recorded with what equalisation can be found here; http://www.shellac.org/wams/wequal.html
Mr B

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:09 pm

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'll let you know how I get on!
Jaz

Postby radio wansmaak » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:07 am

yes and please send us the resulting recordings for evaluation ;)
radio wansmaak

Return to General discussion