Exterminator Dub/version help

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Exterminator Dub/version help

Postby Dub Defector » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:21 pm

Anyone know if there exists a released version / dub of the riddim used for Luciano and Coco Tea's Rough Inna Town on Exterminator?

I'm looking to get some specials voiced on this so i could really do with a top quality version. I do have a very tenuous link to 'Fatis' that may get me an original but i would rather not use up those favours just yet!

Any help would be humbly received

Bless
Dub Defector

Postby Ruffneck » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:40 am

This riddim (originally DEB-The Prophet Rides Again) was also used for Ini Kamoze-Jah Never Fail I. Have it on a slightly noisy Ja pressed 7" without the xylophone overdubs from Rough Inna Town. Can record the dub version tomorrow if you're interested despite the less than perfect quality.
Ruffneck

Postby Liam » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:25 am

Ruffneck wrote:This riddim (originally DEB-The Prophet Rides Again) was also used for Ini Kamoze-Jah Never Fail I. Have it on a slightly noisy Ja pressed 7" without the xylophone overdubs from Rough Inna Town. Can record the dub version tomorrow if you're interested despite the less than perfect quality.

To my ears Rough inna Town and Jah Never Fail I are totally different rhythms. I have x amount xterminator, but I don't think I have a dub version to "Rough".
Last edited by Liam on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://partialrecords.com/
Liam

Postby russ d » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:35 am

Rough inna Town - Jah Never Fail I

same bassline...different drum patterns.

next cut of rough ina town - frankie paul - song of freedom, also no version side.
Disciples on Bandcamp: http://russdisciples.bandcamp.com/

Facebook: russ disciple

Twitter russ disciple: @russdisciple

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/sargantbrown
russ d

Postby Ruffneck » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:40 pm

Russ, you're right about the drums, my bad. Didn't lsten and compare Rough Inna Town to Jah Never Fail I, just seemed to remember they were on the same riddim cos of the bassline. Guess memory played tricks on me this time... Both are nice tho.

No 12" release on either riddim?
Ruffneck

Postby dougie conscious » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:10 pm

one of the reasons why ja singles dont come with dubs/versions anymore is because most sounds just nick the rydim and voice specials on them,
dougie conscious

Postby Dub Defector » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:44 pm

Thanks guys, never picked up Jah Never Fail I (or the frankie paul for that matter) so i have nothing to compare to.

Is everyone pretty sure a dub for 'Rough' does not exist then?

Ruffneck, a recording of the dub you have would be good anyway.. many thanks.

Dougie, so i'm just making it worse for myself then!
Dub Defector

Postby dougie conscious » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:55 pm

Dougie, so i'm just making it worse for myself then,
kind of,you have a situation where producers dont put dubs on there tunes and for me i like to here the dub i turned down lots of 7s in the past cos they dont have dubs,not only that wouldent it be good if sounds checked producers and got some diff mixes off the dubs{just like the old days}
dougie conscious

Postby Dub Defector » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:30 am

Well Dougie, i'll have to agree on passing up probably far too many 7's because of no dub. Exterminators interestingly seem to have dubs for most of the originals i own but all the represses i wanted to pick up a year or so ago didn't have dubs. Fits with what you are saying i suppose.

Anyway, what's the deal with studios not wanting specials on their riddims? I haven't dealt directly with Jamaican studios or producers (only Artists) so i have no idea of how thing work these days.

All my UK dubs (including those i got from you back in the day) were different mixes from the released versions.., admittedly i've been out of the scene for a good long while.. have things changed while i was away?
Dub Defector

Postby dougie conscious » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:58 am

Anyway, what's the deal with studios not wanting specials on their riddims?

its not that they dont want specials on there rydims{they do}its just that they dont want sounds to nick there version{for free}they want sounds to check them and buy some rydims,
dougie conscious

Postby Dub Defector » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:00 pm

Ok, get it.

Well, off to Fatis i go then!

Anyone got good links with Exterminator (as mine is a bit tenuous)?
Dub Defector

Postby dj745 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:38 pm

xterminator released some modern dub cds in the 90s -one of which was dub down babylon -not sure if youve tried these cds for the version/dub youre after.

I have seen them at ernie bs in recent months
dj745

Re:

Postby SolarHighPower » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Liam wrote:To my ears Rough inna Town and Jah Never Fail I are totally different rhythms

solution:
http://www.gadgetmadness.com/2005/02/16 ... cleaner-3/
SolarHighPower

Re: Exterminator Dub/version help

Postby KingSimeonSound » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:08 am

Russ already said what is clear if you listen:

"Rough inna Town - Jah Never Fail I

same bassline...different drum patterns.

next cut of rough ina town - frankie paul - song of freedom, also no version side."
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
KingSimeonSound

Return to General discussion