'Sizzla' Nuh Apologise

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby BMC » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:11 pm

He was in jail after he was arrested at a show where he used words forbidden by the authorities for that show. Whether it was cursing or other things he said I can't recall, but that was supposedly the reason.
Reggae mixes (old & new) and more: BMC's Reggae Blog
Latest episode: The Impressions - The Jamaican Connection
Facebook: BMC's Reggae Mixes (page)
BMC

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:20 am

I kind of thought the first intro part was Sizzla & the rest of the 'nah apologize kill batty bwai' vibe spliced in with a Sizzla-sounding clone..
What do you lot think? .

Sounds like a dubplate vibe in any case.

Interesting lyric BTW:

diss Selassie-I gun shot
Fat ****..etc
Me gun will shot you boy..
UK motherf*ckers..
etc etc..

Is this for real or what?

And what's with this weird scream he does & weak 'boom's?

Hoax?
Chocolate Soldier

Postby BMC » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:12 am

I don't know why you think that, but again I say it's Sizzla all the way. I think the spoken intro might be the only part in here that is not Sizzla, the rest is typical Sizzla-style: voice, style, screams, flow etc etc. Check out his recent bashment output and compare the style, typical I'd say. Btw. I didn't think this was the kind of tunes you'd be so interested in? Or are you trying to get attention to it? Just wondering.
Reggae mixes (old & new) and more: BMC's Reggae Blog
Latest episode: The Impressions - The Jamaican Connection
Facebook: BMC's Reggae Mixes (page)
BMC

Postby Rootsman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:15 am

As BMC says the tune is Sizzla, all of it. Those guys on dhr.com can smell a splice at 100 metres - its a legit tune, but voiced on a hip hop riddim so unlikely to be officially released
Rootsman

Postby Jesse I » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:34 am

It's Sizzla for sure. For more unreleased badman tunes from him in a similar style, look for the Tour Buss "album" doing the rounds on Soulseek...
Jesse I

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:10 am

BMC wrote:I don't know why you think that, but again I say it's Sizzla all the way. I think the spoken intro might be the only part in here that is not Sizzla, the rest is typical Sizzla-style: voice, style, screams, flow etc etc. Check out his recent bashment output and compare the style, typical I'd say. Btw. I didn't think this was the kind of tunes you'd be so interested in? Or are you trying to get attention to it? Just wondering.

YEah - that spoken part must be someone else, I meant the other singjay intro part eg: Jah Rastafari Selassie-I etc etc..

So, OK its all Sizzla then...

Well - this tune I was just interested in checking out to see what's going on in the dancehall underground..

FWIW - I find it kinda scary..

How does someone thought processes work to string together a bunch of imagery like that in one tune?

PRAISE JAH!
KILL Batty boy
Fat ****
Gyal dem
Kill you with my gun
UK motherf*ckers
SeLAssie-I !

?

FWIW 2 - Looking at it objectively , I don't see much difference in the vibes between a tune like that and death metal, Jihad anthems, banned Nazi-Skinhead music, or some graphic hardcore gangsta rap..

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Chocolate Soldier on Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:26 am

Jesse I wrote:It's Sizzla for sure. For more unreleased badman tunes from him in a similar style, look for the Tour Buss "album" doing the rounds on Soulseek...

Soulseek - one of those file sharing things?
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:46 am

SPEAK TO ME BABY
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:56 am

(From the online mag www.fluxusjamaica.com)

The artist Sizzla, clearly influenced by 20th century avant garde movements, Fluxus and Burroughs' cut up techniques, perfectly encapsulates the most important classic themes into one piece, in a modern day conceptual mashup consisting of Death, God and Sex (both gay and hetero for good measure).
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:13 pm

One word: FFFFFFFFEEEEDDDDBACK

does no one dare or just too bored?
Chocolate Soldier

Postby 6655321 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:14 pm

strange thing is a lot of the things you hear about Sizzla say that he's a conscious artist.
I think a certain part of the rasta movement has definitely turned jihad-style. just shows how any religion can be corrupted through dogmatism.

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:25 pm

Indeed - the extremist fragmented mix of dogma, catma, violence, religion etc is somewhat worrying..

Anarchy, warlords, low level urban civil war, old testament religious views,
are the streets of Kingston breeding a future Bobo-Taliban movement?
Chocolate Soldier

Postby 6655321 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:12 pm

"Anarchy, warlords, low level urban civil war, old testament religious views,
are the streets of Kingston breeding a future Bobo-Taliban movement?"

the potential revolutionary force of the rasta's, as a force against the oppressors, is lost in the agression towards gays. I think it has something to do with frustration, about not being able to do something about the social situation they want to change, and having to find a replacement target for the agression caused by this frustration. [/quote]

Postby tim p » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:13 pm

the potential revolutionary force of the rasta's, as a force against the oppressors, is lost in the agression towards gays. I think it has something to do with frustration, about not being able to do something about the social situation they want to change, and having to find a replacement target for the agression caused by this frustration.

This might be true if these attitudes were confined to Rasta's when of course they are not. Again we need to remember that homosexuality is basically illegal in Jamaica so it's not really about changing the social situation but reinforcing it.
Lee Perry was fire bunning the vatican back in '73. I don't doubt he'd have included homosexuality in this if it were an issue back then as it is today.
tim p

Postby steve0 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:37 pm

Choco, I think you're possibly taking this whole thing out of context. Sizzla has released at least 1000 songs over the last 10 years, yet when Outrage were putting together their list of offending 'murder music' songs, they were only able to find 2 or 3 he had recorded. Therefore, accounting for less than 1% of his lyrical output.

The worrying thing is that the publicity created by Outrage has hugely increased the awareness and notoriety of these songs and artists, and has even encouraged a couple of the artists to record more songs with these lyrics (e.g. Sizzla and Bounty Killer). With this in mind, it might be sensible for people to admit that this is effectively a tiny part of Jamaican and Dancehall music and so treat it as such - rather than to continue to provide it with the oxygen of publicity!

Sizzla continues to release plenty of great music every year - you just need to ignore the songs that you don't like. I'm sure Outrage are going to continue to monitor his lyrical content, so it may be best for everyone else to leave them to do that - rather than trying to make the situation seem any worse than it actually is.

I think this is possibly the reason why few people have wanted to contribute to this thread.

Steve0
steve0

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion