CHANNEL 1 ECONOMIC PACKAGE 7"S

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

CHANNEL 1 ECONOMIC PACKAGE 7"S

Postby ephteeay » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:05 pm

ive read somewhere.. i think in sleevenotes for a pressure sounds cd/lp that these were stopped due to bad sound quality... can you tell me how bad this sound quality is? these are the 7s that play at 33.3 rpm..with extended tunes on each side...thanks...
ephteeay

Postby Jackie Pablo » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:21 pm

The Mighty Diamonds & I Roy 'I'M STILL IN LOVE' / 'LOVE ME GIRL' plays at LP speed probably to accommodate the longer playing time. It has all the usual problems associated with JA pressings but the last 30 seconds or so of grooves for 'I'm Still In Love' are pressed over the label. You can imagine the sound....

It would have made a great 10"!
Jackie Pablo

Postby ephteeay » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:26 pm

i hope my copy has clean labels.
ephteeay

Postby Ringo » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:45 pm

FTA, there were two of them:
The Diamonds' "Love Me Girl" and dub, backed with "I`m Still In Love With You", followed by an I Roy dj-cut, and another featuring Leroy Smart's 'Badness No Pay' and 'Pride & Ambition".
They're not as loud or quite as clear as a 45, but still very listenable, especially on a home system. Not really any different to a lot of LP tracks.
Ringo

Postby Dave Hendley » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:38 pm

sound quality isn't that bad at all - but obviously squeezing that amount of music onto a 7" is going to reduce the sound level quite a bit. Badness No Pay was a Jamaican hit & is by far the best of the releases on this doomed format
Dave Hendley

love me girl

Postby ephteeay » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:06 pm

nice one people.. thanks all for the info.. i bought the mighty diamonds one on ebay yesterday... ive seen them on ebay quite a lot to tell you the truth...especially the leroy smart one... yesterday i decided to spent my last cents i had in my paypal account for one of these..just cos they sound very interesting!! 7s that play at 33.3 ...extended tunes..or vocals accompanied by dubs... less postage than a 12"! (even though i expected worse sound from what i had read)... anyway..im hoping love me girl is a cut of the heptones tune!! (the main reason i chose this one!!)
if its playable ill probably try and get the leroy smart in the future...
ephteeay

Postby DG » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:13 pm

Don't worry FTA. "Love me girl" is a cut of the heptones tune.
Have a good weekend.
DG

Postby jb welda » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:10 pm

nit picking im sure but since labels are applied after pressing i would guess the records last grooves are not pressed over the label but instead the label is applied over the records last grooves.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Anonymous » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:30 pm

Quite correct JB.

On another note, has anyone ever had any of these near-mythical tunes with herb or bits of dreadlock pressed into the grooves? :D

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby jb welda » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:33 pm

i think weed beat (appropriately enough) is (in)famous for the herb being pressed into records...i think i have a johnny clarke album with something like that happening.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Anonymous » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:40 am

labels are applied after pressing i would guess the records last grooves are not pressed over the label but instead the label is applied over the records last grooves.

I remember seeing in some documentary footage from a Jamaican pressing plant (I think they were pressin Gibbs 7s) where they put a 'cake' of vinyl with the label in the middle in the press, so I guess there's more than one way to this.
Anonymous

Postby Mr Thô » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:04 am

they put a 'cake' of vinyl with the label in the middle in the press
I also saw this, Rootz.
Isn't the same pressing way used for Studio One 7's as seen in Studio One Story DVD ?...

Mr Thô
Mr Thô

mmmmmm... vinyl cake

Postby ephteeay » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:17 pm

i think that documentary we've all seen with the gibbs 7s is the rockers movie?? and dont talk about cake on here. especially not vinyl cake.. im dribbling all over the keyboard.
ephteeay

Postby Anonymous » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:43 pm

Not Rockers in my case, could be 'Reggae: the Voice of Jamaica' or some Marley documentary.
Anonymous

Postby Jackie Pablo » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:52 pm

If the label was pasted over the grooves I don't think you would be able to hear any, (or too much) of the record at all. It would probably be as close to unlistenable as you could imagine.

If the grooves are pressed over the label (as was the case with this Mighty Diamonds / I-Roy Channel 1 economy package) you would hear the record OK, but it would just sound like a poor pressing on that area of the disc.
Jackie Pablo

Next

Return to General discussion